Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Zimmerman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#41 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Zimmerman was the aggressor, it was he that pursued matin, it was he who had the gun.

Walking after somebody isn't illegal. Martin doesn't get a free pass to bang his head against the pavement a few times, break his nose etc just because he might have followed him (which as a neighbourhood watch figure, he was actually encouraged to do).

#42 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Against the advice of the police dispatcher, the problem is the crazy "stand your ground" law in Florida which people have dubbed "the make my day" law, giving licence to some people to take it upon themselves to become a clint Eastwood wannabe.

What's crazy about being able to use lethal force against someone using lethal force against you?

#43 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

What's crazy about being able to use lethal force against someone using lethal force against you?

so if Trayvon Williams had had a gun he would have been entitled to shoot Zimmermann, since Williams was doing nothing illegal, but Zimmermann reacted in the way he did.

there's a woman in prison for 20 years who was being abused by her husband and fired a gun to scare him off. If she'd have killed him presumably she would have been found not guilty under the same law that acquitted Zimmermann

For crying out loud the kid had been to the shop for a can of pop and some sweets.

well said barack Obama

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

And how do you know he was just out for some sweets?
You don't. You are just jumping on the bandwagon that says 'black man shot = automatic injustice'
Surely it is not the presidents place to make comments that could sway a jury?
How could he have been Obamas son? Oh wait?, I see.....he's black too :rolleyes:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

You don't. You are just jumping on the bandwagon that says 'black man shot = automatic injustice'
How could he have been Obamas son? Oh wait?, I see.....he's black too :rolleyes:

why should it be necessary to prove otherwise?

anyway He'd just been to the shop and he was in possession of them

I never mentioned his race, and he wasn't a man he was a boy

there is no jury for Obama to sway since the trial is over and the verdict given

Keeping it local

#46 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

We now he went out for some sweets and fizzy drink because that's what was found on him, also we know why he was in the gated community as he was going to his dads fiances house. The injustice isn't because he's black it's because he's dead and had Zimmerman stayed in his car like the police dispatcher said nobody would have heard of trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman and trayvon Martin would still be alive today.

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Apologies for the name mix up
I'm working on something involving somebody called at the moment williams
Keeping it local

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

why should it be necessary to prove otherwise?
anyway He'd just been to the shop and he was in possession of them
I never mentioned his race, and he wasn't a man he was a boy

there is no jury for Obama to sway since the trial is over and the verdict given

Obama made the comments well before the trial, well before it. He was 17 and beating the ###### out of Zimmerman - some boy. So what if he had some sweets on him? What does that prove? The fact that his father's fiance lived there does not mean he was not out on a burglary job, in fact he may well have been eyeing up a property previously. I don't know that of course but so what?

#49 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Obama made the comments well before the trial, well before it. He was 17 and beating the ###### out of Zimmerman - some boy. So what if he had some sweets on him? What does that prove? The fact that his father's fiance lived there does not mean he was not out on a burglary job, in fact he may well have been eyeing up a property previously. I don't know that of course but so what?

So what you're really saying is that all black people should be treated as potential criminals and if some are innocent and end up dead, tough?

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

So what you're really saying is that all black people should be treated as potential criminals and if some are innocent and end up dead, tough?

How the holy f*ck do you arrive at this? I happen to believe in equality. Not equality as written by the Guardian and co but actual 'everyone is equal'

This means I don't decide that if there is an incident that I didn't witness or only know of second hand, I don't think 'well he's black, he's innocent and was fitted up'. Just like I don't think 'he is white, therefore guilty' OR Vice Versa.

I have read a lot about this in the last week and find most of the reaction to it by blacks in the US pretty racist if I am honest.

#51 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Not the ones I've read
If trayvon had had a gun would he have been entitled to shoot Zimmerman who was after all pursuing him and he'd done nothing wrong
Trayvon had done nothing to justify being shot and killed
Do you not find the case of the woman who was imprisoned disturbing? If she had shot her husband and killed him she would not have been imprisoned at all never mind for 20 years
Keeping it local

#52 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

How the holy f*ck do you arrive at this? I happen to believe in equality. Not equality as written by the Guardian and co but actual 'everyone is equal'
This means I don't decide that if there is an incident that I didn't witness or only know of second hand, I don't think 'well he's black, he's innocent and was fitted up'. Just like I don't think 'he is white, therefore guilty' OR Vice Versa.
I have read a lot about this in the last week and find most of the reaction to it by blacks in the US pretty racist if I am honest.

I arrive at this conclusion after reading all your posts about him being on a potential "burglary job" and eyeing up "previous property", not to mention your obsession with "blacks."

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Edited by Johnoco, 21 July 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I arrive at this conclusion after reading all your posts about him being on a potential "burglary job" and eyeing up "previous property", not to mention your obsession with "blacks."

I am entitled to claim my supposing is as valid as anyone else's supposing.
As for your last line, lol.

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Not the ones I've read
If trayvon had had a gun would he have been entitled to shoot Zimmerman who was after all pursuing him and he'd done nothing wrong
Trayvon had done nothing to justify being shot and killed
Do you not find the case of the woman who was imprisoned disturbing? If she had shot her husband and killed him she would not have been imprisoned at all never mind for 20 years

I don't know enough about US law to comment. Maybe there is more than one side to the story and you just believe hers because she is a woman
and must be telling the truth.

How do you know Trayvon Martin did nothing to justify being shot and killed? Were you there? Why was he beating the carp out of Zimmerman? Why did he call him a racist name? Pretty certain that if a white guy was shot after calling a black guy a racist name, the consensus would be 'that's one less racist"

#56 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

This topic has clearly run its course and the arguments are becoming circular.

The defendant was found not guilty by a jury, and I think we should respect its decision.

Racial politics is a complex subject, particularly in the USA, but in this context I think we've exhausted the subject.

The thread is locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users