• 2,584 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

The other one for the Warrington DRs

#4 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Yes, it's about time Reg (aka 'the Jewel') went back to Warrington and stayed there permanently.

:vinsent:

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yes, it's about time Reg (aka 'the Jewel') went back to Warrington and stayed there permanently.

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

#7 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Oh dear, three for the price of one

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

It will be very difficult if not impossible for the club to make a change to the coaching position this season, given appointment of Gary Chambers was part of the bigger picture of partnering and the heavy reliance on Warrington players. 7 of them in action yesterday - without which the club wouldn't be able to raise a full side. They have made their bed for this season and have to lye in it.

Albeit Gary Chambers' post match quotes make me suspect he is seriously considering resignation.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#9 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

'Have a good long look at ourselves and start putting things right'. Doesnt sound like like it to me. Perhaps you're trying to influence his decision phillh?

Who were the 7 please?

Part of the bigger picture?

The rest I agree with!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#10 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

'Have a good long look at ourselves and start putting things right'. Doesnt sound like like it to me. Perhaps you're trying to influence his decision phillh?

Who were the 7 please?

Part of the bigger picture?

The rest I agree with!

Just my interpretation of the reported words.  Other regular contributors have been even more direct in their feelings about Gary Chambers level of competence for the task in hand - strange how you haven't singled them out.  My view has always been that Gary Chambers isn't the root cause of the problem, his appointment was a symptom of the problem - responsibility for which is higher up the Swinton Lions food chain.

The 7 (as if you don't know) were: Jordan Burke, Gene Ormsby, James Mendeika, Tyrone McCarthy, James Laithwaite, Ben Harrison and Brad Dwyer.  Some formally dual registered, some playing under sham 12 month Swinton deals, all of them in truth Warrington players - getting money from Warrington, training with Warrington, coming and going as it suits Warrington.  As far as these 7 are concerned Warrington are clearly calling the tune.

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Just my interpretation of the reported words. Other regular contributors have been even more direct in their feelings about Gary Chambers level of competence for the task in hand - strange how you haven't singled them out. My view has always been that Gary Chambers isn't the root cause of the problem, his appointment was a symptom of the problem - responsibility for which is higher up the Swinton Lions food chain.

The 7 (as if you don't know) were: Jordan Burke, Gene Ormsby, James Mendeika, Tyrone McCarthy, James Laithwaite, Ben Harrison and Brad Dwyer. Some formally dual registered, some playing under sham 12 month Swinton deals, all of them in truth Warrington players - getting money from Warrington, training with Warrington, coming and going as it suits Warrington. As far as these 7 are concerned Warrington are clearly calling the tune.

Not strange. I respect yours and their opinion on his coaching achievements since taking over. It's strange that when a man clearly states that he's carrying on that he is carrying on that it can be interpreted as he is thinking of leaving!

Like it or not, the majority of players you mention have played for the Lions all season and for this season at least are Swinton players.

You sound just like the half witted Keighley fans did during the match. Why not come and support Leigh in our next match against them, during which you can sing your heart out!

#12 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Loyallion or blindloyalty whatever your name is, the blame here is clearly with the BOD for choosing this path. I have no sympathy for a team sat at the bottom of the table who consist mostly from another club. The fans I have every bit of sympathy for paying week in week out, fair play to each and everyone of you who continue to turn up.

#13 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Loyallion or blindloyalty whatever your name is, the blame here is clearly with the BOD for choosing this path. I have no sympathy for a team sat at the bottom of the table who consist mostly from another club. The fans I have every bit of sympathy for paying week in week out, fair play to each and everyone of you who continue to turn up.

I suggest you read previous posts or ask my opinion before coming on here casting aspersions my friend.
I pay every week and continue to support my team.

Who is yours btw?

#14 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Just my interpretation of the reported words.  Other regular contributors have been even more direct in their feelings about Gary Chambers level of competence for the task in hand - strange how you haven't singled them out.  My view has always been that Gary Chambers isn't the root cause of the problem, his appointment was a symptom of the problem - responsibility for which is higher up the Swinton Lions food chain.

The 7 (as if you don't know) were: Jordan Burke, Gene Ormsby, James Mendeika, Tyrone McCarthy, James Laithwaite, Ben Harrison and Brad Dwyer.  Some formally dual registered, some playing under sham 12 month Swinton deals, all of them in truth Warrington players - getting money from Warrington, training with Warrington, coming and going as it suits Warrington.  As far as these 7 are concerned Warrington are clearly calling the tune.

do you have any concerns when they re-instate the SL under 23's competition next year ? do you think the players currently on 12month contracts will stay or go back to Warrington ?

#15 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Brad Dwyer, Ryan Shaw, Danny Bridge, Gene Ormsby, Jordan Burke and Gavin Bennion

These were the six signed on from Warrington in January in the original press release.

According to last weeks programme;

Bennion p6 s4 1try

Bridge p12 s2 

Burke p7 2try

Dwyer p6 s3 2try

Ormsby p15 s1 2 try

Shaw p18 9try 38goal  

Subsequently we signed these six players for the season which put so many peoples noses out of joint;

J Morrison 
· J Mendeika
· J Burke
· R Shaw
· G Ormsby
· G Riley

Mendieka p9 s1 3try

Morrison p15 s3 2try

Riley p11 s2

On the whole I think this shows that their contribution has hardly been mind blowing. Ryan Shaw on paper has contributed the most but has probably been the most widely criticised for his weak defence(not by me.)

Of the rest I can only see Riley having a future in super league at the top level. Mainly because hes a big lump. His form has rarely reached the heights he reached last year for us.

Mendieka is hit and miss

Dwyer I believe flatters to deceive and hasnt really had the impact I expected but then again hes hardly had the opportunity.

Morrison is at his level.

Shaw needs to mature and could do it.

Burke is class but is not what he was since his injury.

Bennion...well he played well against Whitehaven and that it.

D Bridge could possibly make it.

Ormsby is a great player but his two tries is a disappointment. Hes carrying an injury and has done all year. He could make it but who knows.

Of all the players weve tried this year the one stand out for me was Ben Currie who was a class above. 

McCarthy Harrison Morley C Bridge Wood  Laithwaite Obrien Williams Evans  have all looked good briefly but not controlled games in the way that you expect them too.

Briers did what he had too but  was a pleasure to watch.

In conclusion I would say that none of the players we have had have given us an unfair advantage 

It could be argued that they have been a hindrance with no settled team from week to week.

Finally, and what to me has made all this fuss about who we signed and for how long ridiculous.....who knows who we will have next year because as usual there will be the end of season swapping around of players nearly ALL on twelve month contracts and we start again trying to learn their names.    

#16 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Nice summary Mark and through all the confusion I think we nearly understand however, I believe that Danny Bridge also signed on. My summary would be:-

Initially signed on pre season  - J Morrison

Signed on after initially be DR - J Burke, D Bridge, R Shaw, G Ormsby, G Riley, J Mendieka

Dual reg ("regulars")-  J Laithwaite, G Bennion, B Dwyer, G O'Brien, R Williams, T McCarthy

Dual reg ("irregulars") - B Currie, R Evans

Dual reg (returning superstars playing once on way back from injury) - C Woods (Workington - H) C Bridge - (Sheffield - H) , L Briers (Whitehaven - H), A Morley (Crusaders- H (Cup)), Harrison (Keighley - H)

I would agree pretty much with Marks assessment with Currie being the best youngster we have seen. Any others (except the "superstars") good enough for a regular Warrington spot?....... I would say McCarthy(loaned to Cas), Dwyer (loaned to Huddersfield), Laithwaite (broke ankle) , O'Brien (on loan at St Helens) from what I have seen though I do think Dwyer has had a difficult season (Swinton - Huddersfield - Swinton) and sometimes seems to be trying too hard to impress.

As for how many will stay with Swinton next year out of all of above if other options are available in 2014?......... Probably None as there are plenty of teams between Swinton and superleague teams who they would prefer. We would then be back where we were at the start of this season.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#17 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Two good posts from Mark and Little Lion Man.............I personally also think it will be all change again at the end of the season, especially if we drop into Championship 1.............

I did not realise Harrison was a Wires first team squad member ( well not interested in Super League, to be honest) - I thought he did try hard against Keighley and from where I was sat he looked totally spent when he was eventually substituted in the second half........

#18 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

My objection to the way the Swinton Lions management has gone about partnering with Warrington this season was never about whether it resulted in the Lions getting an "unfair advantage".  My concerns centre on the unique identity and heritage of Swinton Lions being undermined by becoming Warrington's feeder club.

I suspect many of the contributors who were voiciferously in favour of the club jumping into bed with Warrington in this way at the start of the season had visions of it being a path to the upper reaches of the league.  Even if that had been the case, my concerns would stil stand and watching the team still wouldn't have felt right.  In the event, it has not come as a great surprise me that performance levels on the pitch have gone downwards compared to last season. The reasons are many - some of the Warrington players lack experience and physical maturity, the chopping and changing of the line-up every week, but most importantly - the Swinton Lions coach no longer has total authority over player recruitment and team selection.

It all adds up to a formula that won't get the best from the talent available.  In short, it is no way to build a proper team.

It takes a special type of incompetence to do something that not only heaps more damage on the brand and alienates potential customers, but also undermines the team's performance.  About the only other possible benefit is that it might have saved John Kidd a few quid, although none of us can know that for certain - even that argument will ring a bit hollow if the season ends with relegation.

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

My objection to the way the Swinton Lions management has gone about partnering with Warrington this season was never about whether it resulted in the Lions getting an "unfair advantage". My concerns centre on the unique identity and heritage of Swinton Lions being undermined by becoming Warrington's feeder club.

I suspect many of the contributors who were voiciferously in favour of the club jumping into bed with Warrington in this way at the start of the season had visions of it being a path to the upper reaches of the league. Even if that had been the case, my concerns would stil stand and watching the team still wouldn't have felt right. In the event, it has not come as a great surprise me that performance levels on the pitch have gone downwards compared to last season. The reasons are many - some of the Warrington players lack experience and physical maturity, the chopping and changing of the line-up every week, but most importantly - the Swinton Lions coach no longer has total authority over player recruitment and team selection.

It all adds up to a formula that won't get the best from the talent available. In short, it is no way to build a proper team.

It takes a special type of incompetence to do something that not only heaps more damage on the brand and alienates potential customers, but also undermines the team's performance. About the only other possible benefit is that it might have saved John Kidd a few quid, although none of us can know that for certain - even that argument will ring a bit hollow if the season ends with relegation.

Some good observations phillip but you are still off form mate;
1, Vociferously in favour of the club jumping into bed with Warrington? Who did? Most of the posters on here are not actually as you well know!
2, Lions coach no longer has total authority over player recruitment and team selection? I'll ask you again, how do you know?
3, Saves John Kidd a couple of quid? As you know I'm not his greatest fan but it's his money. You've not put a bean in the pot this season I believe so how can you criticise how he spends his on the club?
4, When you have been proved correct and we do go down next season, will you be coming to Hemel to tell him just how to spend his money?

You do so spoil good intelligent posts with your own personal vendettas towards this club and claims to know exactly how it is run, even Warrington now it seems.

Stop it now, its silly. You're not the Messiah, you're a very naughty boy!

#20 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

The only thing I can disagree with there Phil is saying people were vociferously in favour of it. I don't think that was ever the case. Most people just decided to see how it goes. Previous DR situations had worked massively in our favour. Forster and Riley last season for example.

Everything else is spot on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users