Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

5th interchange, specifically a young half back?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Had an idea jump into my head whilst in work earlier...

I can think of countless times where many RL fans or forum users have bemoaned the lack of opportunities and exposure, or even merely 'lack of' quality young half backs in the British game. Secondly many a game have been ruined, for me anyway, where one teams star half has gone off injured and they have rejigged their team, lost all rhythm and the game has sort of lost its way.

So anyway my idea... Introduce a 5th option on the interchange bench, one that can only be used once throughout the 80 minute game and has to specifically be an under 23 homegrown half back? When teams are winning comfortably give the youngster 15-20 minutes to show what he can do and develop his game at a high level when they may be in limbo between first team regular and dual-reg in the lower leagues.

Or alternatively, referring back to my original annoyance a viable replacement should a Scott Dureau, Lee Briers or Danny Brough etc suffer injury early on.

Thoughts

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

What is this?
I don't even..

It's time to park the camels.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

rather have a stronger reserve grade comp

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

No.

Far too gimmicky.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

I admire the sentiment, but I'm not a fan of the idea.
People called Romans they go the house

#6 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I suspect if this was adopted we'd start seeing a new breed of 18 stone 6 foot odd half backs who quite like to run it up a bit. Cynical, me?

#7 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'd like there to be more players on the bench, but less interchanges. I'd go for for 7 subs and 4 changes. So you can have options to cover different eventualities, but it would also become a bit more tactical as to when and how u use them.

Not sure If I'd put the change in for next year, but would like to see it trailed in friendlies as an experimental rule.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#8 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

4 changes would never be enough, the fat lads up front would be buggered

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I suspect if this was adopted we'd start seeing a new breed of 18 stone 6 foot odd half backs who quite like to run it up a bit. Cynical, me?

I'm also struggling to see how you could ensure that the fifth interchange was a half back.

Indeed, if it was successful and we were overwhelmed with halfbacks a few years down the line, would we then move on to centres or loose forwards ?

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'd like there to be more players on the bench, but less interchanges. I'd go for for 7 subs and 4 changes. So you can have options to cover different eventualities, but it would also become a bit more tactical as to when and how u use them.

Not sure If I'd put the change in for next year, but would like to see it trailed in friendlies as an experimental rule.

So you pay three blokes to sit on the bench ? Can't see the clubs going for that somehow......

One of the reasons we allowed players to come back on the field was to keep costs down.

#11 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Restricting the number of overseas players running around with numbers 1,6,7 & 9 on their backs would be a good way to develop more home grown creative players

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#12 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Restricting the number of overseas players running around with numbers 1,6,7 & 9 on their backs would be a good way to develop more home grown creative players

well said that man............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#13 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

So you pay three blokes to sit on the bench ? Can't see the clubs going for that somehow......

One of the reasons we allowed players to come back on the field was to keep costs down.

Happens in RU and football, and we effectively do it anyway by having squad members not in match day squad. It's effectively just putting a shirt on and sitting on the bench rather than your club (track)suit and sitting in the stands! Would be a good way to blood youngsters as well and bring injured players back as you would only have to use in tight circumstance.

Anyway, just an idea!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Happens in RU and football, and we effectively do it anyway by having squad members not in match day squad. It's effectively just putting a shirt on and sitting on the bench rather than your club (track)suit and sitting in the stands! Would be a good way to blood youngsters as well and bring injured players back as you would only have to use in tight circumstance.

Anyway, just an idea!

Take your points - as long as they don't get any win bonus if they don't play.

But I actually think our system's better than soccer or union.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,585 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

4 changes would never be enough, the fat lads up front would be buggered

For me, that's a problem with the modern interchange system.  What about rewarding the side with either greater stamina or greater skill in knackering out your opponents?  Yes, you might get more last 10 minute blow-outs but it'd stop some players running around for 10 minutes like wrecking balls then going off for a breather then back on again.

Maybe it's just me being a bit old-fashioned though...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Feca may have only been good for 10 minutes, but he was something to behold for those 10 minutes (when nasty Warrington players weren't running round him).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users