Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ray err French err today

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

A I had a chat with Ray a few years ago - lovely fella BUT......

I haven't heard him on the box for a while but today's stint from Ray has to be the worst piece of match commentary I've ever heard in any sport.

".... the err Warrington err number eleven Trent err Waterhouse..." Painful

Calling the referee "Mr Bentham" 1950's stuff.

Brett err Ferres, Michael err Monaghan, Adrian err Morley....... What is that about?

Perception is everything these days and that kind of rank amateur style does the image of the game to any first time viewers no good at all.

Sorry Ray.

Am I being over critical?

#2 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

I actually thought Ray was a little better than usual today, but hopefully this will be the last televised match he does. He's been a great servant but it's really not the image we should be portraying as a sport in 2013. BBC need to find an alternative commentator to Dave Woods.

Edited by Evil Homer, 14 July 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Sorry but you can't criticise Ray French on here.

I did it a year or two back and, in spite of the fact he mumbles along, hardly knowing player's names whilst stuttering and stammering, he's still put more input into RL than I or you ever will.

Maybe he has as an ex player, but does that make him a worthwhile commentator?

I suppose if you asked the RU orientated BBC, they would probably answer in the affirmative.

Keep RL in the dark ages.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Sorry but you can't criticise Ray French on here.

I did it a year or two back and, in spite of the fact he mumbles along, hardly knowing player's names whilst stuttering and stammering, he's still put more input into RL than I or you ever will.

Maybe he has as an ex player, but does that make him a worthwhile commentator?

I suppose if you asked the RU orientated BBC, they would probably answer in the affirmative.

Keep RL in the dark ages.

Yep. I respect him for what he's done. His enthusiasm is great but he never could & never will be able to commentate.

It's the BBC who need to carry the can for it. Really poor.

Thought Mark Chapman was ok though.

Good luck in the semi by the way

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Yep. I respect him for what he's done. His enthusiasm is great but he never could & never will be able to commentate.

It's the BBC who need to carry the can for it. Really poor.

Thought Mark Chapman was ok though.

Good luck in the semi by the way

Probably worded it wrong.

I agree completely with you but when I suggested it a while back, I got replies on here saying what a legend he is. I pointed out this doesn't make him a great commentator but few listened.

I risk more but who gives a s**t, like Eddie Waring, he's keeping our game in the flat cap, whippet/ferret owners times and that's how the Beeb like it.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Oh, and thanks for the good luck, we'll need it.  :(

#7 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Oh, and thanks for the good luck, we'll need it. :(

Agree.

Those ex Cas lads need to put a shift in for you in the semi..... It will be tough

Only one person who mumbles more in the media than Ray. It's Peter Allen on radio 5 Drive. Wow! Now that is something special. Have a listen (or try to...) when you get a minute - there is hope for all of us if he can stay on the BBC gravy train when you can only just make out what he is on about... !!

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

I met Ray last in 2000. Nice fella, way past it then though as far as commentary on the TV. If anyone would have said that 3 years later he still be mumbling along on live TV I'd have not believed them let alone 13.

Dave Woods is up there with the best in the world and French's presence on the BBC must end.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yeah I've said this a few times over the years. If you can't string a sentence together without saying "errr", you shouldn't be a commentator. If you can't see who the players are in time, you shouldn't be a commentator.

Ray has done loads for the game, but that shouldn't make him untouchable. He needs to retire.
Posted Image

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ray could still contribute as a pundit, but he can't keep up well enough for actual commentary. Given a less pressured role, he still has plenty to say that's worth hearing.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yep. Agree.

To qualify my OP, I'm not comfortable with the obsession with image but its the way it is worldwide now.

You've got to sex it up to get mass appeal. Cricket & union coverage is brilliant but our product is as good. Big challenge

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Calling the referee "Mr Bentham" 1950's stuff.

Just to weigh in on this point, I have no problem with this

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Oh, and thanks for the good luck, we'll need it.  :(

That's the spirit! :P

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#14 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Remember ray French and Alex Murphy doing commentary years ago. All you could hear was "Oooh, aaaaarr, Whooooooaaah, oooooooh" interspersed with "he's playing the old soldier and getting up gingerly" . Thought the were watching a mucky film rather than a rugby match! :D

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Ray could still contribute as a pundit, but he can't keep up well enough for actual commentary. Given a less pressured role, he still has plenty to say that's worth hearing.

This

BTW, I heard from the horses mouth (Ray himself) at the St Helens past players dinner last month that he is intending to hang up the microphone after this years world cup. Top bloke, and rugby league through and through but, just like players and coaches, time catches up eventually and commentating is no easy job. So when the time comes, thanks very much for all he has done and a happy retirement. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yes
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

how can he be a pundit. his co-commentator has to explain the rules to him.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think he always come across well when he is involved with proper interviews, ie at a players home or something, and also the red button forum.

His commentary skills are appalling though and have been for a while.

I'm not fan of Davies, but even he seems fed up with French.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Ray is an absolute gent and has done more for RL than most of us. But sadly its definitely time he stood down from the mic.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Ray is an absolute gent and has done more for RL than most of us. But sadly its definitely time he stood down from the mic.

I remember listening to him at a forum a few years back and he was brilliant, he was a great public speaker, he was funny, intelligent, articulate and he was a credit to himself and the game.

I'd like to see him remain involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users