Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ray err French err today

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

I remember listening to him at a forum a few years back and he was brilliant, he was a great public speaker, he was funny, intelligent, articulate and he was a credit to himself and the game.

I'd like to see him remain involved.

He could certainly be part of the studio team for the BBC.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,125 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

how can he be a pundit. his co-commentator has to explain the rules to him.

Not normally a problem in any sport
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

I've met Ray on a couple of occasions and as everybody has mentioned he's a great bloke and always has time to speak to anybody.

Whilst his enthusiasm and knowledge for the game have never been questioned, I agree his commentary days should come to an end.  Griff9of13's suggestion that Ray intend's to retire after this years World Cup is a concern to me.  The World Cup is our big chance to show the sporting world what we have to offer.  The BBC commentary team (rightly or wrongly) will be integral to the perception of the game.

I agree that Ray has a great deal to offer on a TV panel, when talking about the game at large and the politics involved but commentary and match analysis are not his strong points unfortunately.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#24 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have to agree with the criticism. Generally speaking, not just about Ray here, I don't know how they're (commentators) allowed to get away with their rank amateurism.

Just basic things like stammering and generally tripping over their tongue and not being all that literate and having really strong accents. You couldn't get away with it in a minimum wage telesales job, how it's acceptable for guys providing national commentary for a professional sport is beyond me. The fact that these guys have a job at all, nevermind at the BBC, is mind boggling.

#25 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

That's how commentary works. I tried to apply for a commentary job on a minority league having a deep knowledge of the competition and an ability to pronounce the players' names properly and it was made clear in not so many words that commentators with not even a basic knowledge and with the ability to butcher every single name in sight were more desirable.

#26 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ray is about as suitable as a pundit as Robbie Paul.

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

I like Ray French. He may be past his best but he's a familiar voice and one that I've identified with over the years. He's the Bill McLaren or Richie Benaud of rugby league

He's very clear in his diction if you overlook the stumbles, not a broad accent at all. Though I agree he would probably be a better pundit than commentator.

#28 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have to agree with the criticism. Generally speaking, not just about Ray here, I don't know how they're (commentators) allowed to get away with their rank amateurism.

Just basic things like stammering and generally tripping over their tongue and not being all that literate and having really strong accents. You couldn't get away with it in a minimum wage telesales job, how it's acceptable for guys providing national commentary for a professional sport is beyond me. The fact that these guys have a job at all, nevermind at the BBC, is mind boggling.

What is wrong with having strong accents?

#29 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Those who don't happen to live within 20 miles of where they are from can hardly understand a word you're saying? 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#30 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I can understand all of the guys who commentate on the beeb, and I reckon I live a good 600 miles away from most of them...

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Nothing per se, but personally I find that strong Yorks or Lancs accents, in a rugby league setting, just reinforce the M62 image which we've battling against for ever and a day.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#32 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

But equally - just because we want to include those from further afield doesn't mean we should exclude those that already have RL at heart...

#33 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Who was the man who did the commentry on the short lived "Scrum down" program. -  he was very good but I can't remember his name.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#34 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Who was the man who did the commentry on the short lived "Scrum down" program. -  he was very good but I can't remember his name.

John Helm now commentates regularly on all sorts of FIFA tournaments around the world for the "international feed". You probably won't hear him much in Britain as the British channels have their own commentators. He recently did the U20s tournament in Turkey, did the Euros last year and the World Club Championship. 

#35 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

John Helm now commentates regularly on all sorts of FIFA tournaments around the world for the "international feed". You probably won't hear him much in Britain as the British channels have their own commentators. He recently did the U20s tournament in Turkey, did the Euros last year and the World Club Championship. 

Yes, thats the man, John Helm - an excellent commentator. Thanks for that.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users