Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Briscoe and Referees

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

Tom Briscoe hardly deserves this attention as his star seems to be in decline...was yesterdays game a final fizz?

My issue over several years has been his ability to milk penalties at the play the ball.

He is always moving off the mark and falling into the marker to claim being held down / interfered with. In the Catalan game Ref Silverwood could be clearly heard saying "you kept falling forward" as he claimed a penalty.

If so why not penalise him? 

I assume the massive Refs advisory team at HQ review each match every week and see these "cheats" employed by individual players? If so why not issue an informal piece of advice to the player...ie we are watching you...and then brief the Ref pre game.

As important as working on Ref fitness during the week.

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm surprised he gets away with it as much as he does. He just looks an idiot after a while though.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was thinking of starting a Tom Briscoe thread but not of this nature.

My thread would have been "how does he get his confidence back?".

On Saturday and, indeed, most of this season, he's been absolutely dire. He clearly has a huge amount of talent and ability but I've never seen a player go from hero to zero in such an astonishing fashion as he has. If that dummy for the penultimate try hadn't come off when he had a player in support, I think we may have well seen the last of him in a Hull shirt. And when Hull were trying to clear their line and he ran from dummy half, only to end up tackled over his own try line, well I had my head in my hands.

Even when he's been put in the clear recently, he looks as though he hasn't a clue what to do and how to score.

I'm assuming the huge amount of success the right wing pairing are having is only making things worse for him.

Maybe he could use a sports psychologist or a bloody hypnotist or summat.

Anyway, back on topic, there are plenty of players who try to milk an advantage at the play the ball, Briscoe is by no means the biggest culprit, it's just that he happens to wear a black and white shirt, eh Steve?  ;)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

You are right he irks me every Derby game, his talent blurred by this gameship.

Perhaps it is karma that he is so rubbish this year.

That tackle behind the line was an embarrassment for such a strong physical player.

#5 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

You are right he irks me every Derby game, his talent blurred by this gameship.

Perhaps it is karma that he is so rubbish this year.

That tackle behind the line was an embarrassment for such a strong physical player.

I think we probably have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that the uncertainty over his future is affecting his game. Once that's sorted, somebody is going to get a very good player. I can't imagine at his age that his best years are already behind him.

You're right about his ability to milk penalties at the PTB though. He's one of the best in the business.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#6 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just signed for Rovers on a one year deal to allow him to prove himself to NRL teams. Needed to be in a side able to win trophies and get away from Hull, a team with no ambition going steadily backward.

I would like to withdraw my earlier comments 're PTB technique'.....not a bad larker really.

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Just signed for Rovers on a one year deal to allow him to prove himself to NRL teams. Needed to be in a side able to win trophies and get away from Hull, a team with no ambition going steadily backward.

I would like to withdraw my earlier comments 're PTB technique'.....not a bad larker really.

It will be difficult for you to keep this quality going mate.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#8 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

What a very funny thread, I think.

#9 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'll have what he's drinking :drinks:

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!