Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The advantages of DR to Championship clubs in revue

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

In previous discussions on this subject it was stated that Hunslet were a better team with higher attendances and the highest league placings for many years due to the Dual registration players from Leeds  boosting the quality of their team.

Swinton had the whole Warrington squad registered as their players and, in fact Lee Briers and Adrian Morley have turned out for them amongst others. This led to conjecture that Swinton would become a power in the division  and DR would greatly benefit them and the situation would be a win win for both Swinton and Warrington,

Rochdale had a strong player and coaching link up with Saints. Wigan adopted South Wales and Skolars were sjuppose to be a power using Broncos DR players.

The reality seems to be that independent Championship clubs Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield are the class of that league and Hunslet and Swinton are occupying the relegation spots.

The class of CC1 are the independent Crusaders and South Wales, Skolars and Rochdale are having sub par seasons barely in touch with play off positions and the Hull KR linked Gateshead are next to bottom

The Championship teams linked with the major SL powers, Leeds, St Helens, Wigan and Warrington are poor. This would seem to suggest that the DR system is a one way street being of benefit only to the SL teams concerned and of little help in boosting the playing fortunes of the lower tier teams in the partnerships.

I wonder if these championship teams and their supporters are now still convinced that the dual registration system is a positive development.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

despite all my reservations surrounding the whole DR/feeder club debabte.....our link up with salford seems to be working well,i think thats primarily down too how we & salford have used the system....we've taken a couple or 3? salford kids on long term loans instead of salford 1st teamers rocking up for a game and sodding off...as well as still taking other players on loan from other SL teams..ie nathan mason from huddersfield...

and we're currently top of championship 1

i feel if lower league clubs adopt the policy of only signing super league kids on season long loans then it'll serve the game better and take away the negativity around the whole thing..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

It's quite pleasing that the two clubs that have completely taken the Micky are in the relegation spots.

#4 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

It's quite pleasing that the two clubs that have completely taken the Micky are in the relegation spots.

Here here!!!!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

You could argue that they were the weakest clubs anyway, so that's no great surprise.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm quite happy with the link up between York and Hull. Its going well.

Posted Image

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

the link ups can be a two way thing, we at widnes are looking at the young promising players coming through at workington whilst they are helping to develop some of our young players in return. ok we have sent the odd first team player up there but they were basically to cover for injuries etc etc. i am really excited at the prospect of the phillips brothers possibly coming to widnes, they are both extremely good prospects.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Of course, if Swinton and co were up near the top of the table, Keighley and co would also be saying it was a farce, unfair etc. Bets nicely hedged.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

The existing loan system worked perfectly well and had no need to be changed. DR was devised specifically to benefit SL clubs who were being forced to reform their academy system. they then spun this to give the appearance of it being intended to be some sort of altruistic move to help the championship clubs. In reality it is a shambolic nonsense and in danger of alienating supporters of championship clubs who are facing enough difficulties hanging on to the supporters that they currently have.

If it is not scrapped or fundamentally altered to truly help these clubs then I expect crowds to drift even further down next season.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

i am really excited at the prospect of the phillips brothers possibly coming to widnes, they are both extremely good prospects.

Can't see that happening TBH, rumour has it they're bound for West Yorkshire.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#11 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

The existing loan system worked perfectly well and had no need to be changed. DR was devised specifically to benefit SL clubs who were being forced to reform their academy system. they then spun this to give the appearance of it being intended to be some sort of altruistic move to help the championship clubs. In reality it is a shambolic nonsense and in danger of alienating supporters of championship clubs who are facing enough difficulties hanging on to the supporters that they currently have.

If it is not scrapped or fundamentally altered to truly help these clubs then I expect crowds to drift even further down next season.

If the DR system only suits SL clubs why don't championship clubs use the loan system instead which is still in place. My guess is because it costs money where as the DR players are coming cheaper/free. With the DR being cheaper clubs lose the control they get with loaned players its a choice championship clubs make.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

the link ups can be a two way thing, we at widnes are looking at the young promising players coming through at workington whilst they are helping to develop some of our young players in return. ok we have sent the odd first team player up there but they were basically to cover for injuries etc etc. i am really excited at the prospect of the phillips brothers possibly coming to widnes, they are both extremely good prospects.

This is exactly my point. it's a positive situation for Widnes, the SL club, but what do Workington get out of it?.

For instance, Keighley, when playing Castleford players were bottom of the league. No Castleford player has graced our ranks since March and now the team is on a winning streak and slowly climbing to safety. What therefore was the advantage to Keighley from this link up?

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Of course, if Swinton and co were up near the top of the table, Keighley and co would also be saying it was a farce, unfair etc. Bets nicely hedged.

Oh yes, I would resent any Swinton success based on that and I think that Swinton and co hoped that this was what would happen, but it appears the exact opposite has occurred. Hence I am posing the question " What are the benefits in these arrangements for the Championship clubs. Seems to be a one way street to me

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Can't see that happening TBH, rumour has it they're bound for West Yorkshire.

hopefully not both callum and brett have big futures in the game and i hope that it is with widnes........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#15 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

This is exactly my point. it's a positive situation for Widnes, the SL club, but what do Workington get out of it?.

For instance, Keighley, when playing Castleford players were bottom of the league. No Castleford player has graced our ranks since March and now the team is on a winning streak and slowly climbing to safety. What therefore was the advantage to Keighley from this link up?

Workington got to call on (mostly) young good players when we were lacking through injury and suspension, something we have struggled with over the past 3 seasons when we have consistently ran out of players. This meant we could continue to compete with other clubs, meaning a more competitive league rather than getting shallackings when we were down to dragging in ex players and local kids. What good would those beating have done those young players?

#16 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

hopefully not both callum and brett have big futures in the game and i hope that it is with widnes........

Frankly, I also hope its Widnes as it would set a very good precedent for DR, and would show theres a two way door to it. Both the Phillips boys have what it takes to step up to SL in my opinion, though I`m not as sure they can be at the top teams. No offence to Widnes obviously, but I think they would get more game time there to begin with.

#17 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Workington got to call on (mostly) young good players when we were lacking through injury and suspension, something we have struggled with over the past 3 seasons when we have consistently ran out of players. This meant we could continue to compete with other clubs, meaning a more competitive league rather than getting shallackings when we were down to dragging in ex players and local kids. What good would those beating have done those young players?

Plus our agreement with Widnes is a genuine 2-way deal which sees young lads like Jack Gaskell, who aren't quite ready for Championship level, getting to play in Widnes' U19 team while being retained as Town players.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#18 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Plus our agreement with Widnes is a genuine 2-way deal which sees young lads like Jack Gaskell, who aren't quite ready for Championship level, getting to play in Widnes' U19 team while being retained as Town players.

I heard on the weekend there are others lined up to go the other way at some point, I presumed it was that young lad who left to go to uni.

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

i agree, DR should be a two way link up, there are many talented young lads out there with limited access to super league clubs, the development of the game as a whole will benefit from the system if we can unearth another hardaker or hill. brett and callum are certainly up there with the best in the championship at the moment, and they can both make the grade...

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Oh yes, I would resent any Swinton success based on that and I think that Swinton and co hoped that this was what would happen, but it appears the exact opposite has occurred. Hence I am posing the question " What are the benefits in these arrangements for the Championship clubs. Seems to be a one way street to me

It is.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users