TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The advantages of DR to Championship clubs in revue

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

I heard on the weekend there are others lined up to go the other way at some point, I presumed it was that young lad who left to go to uni.

Yes I think it is young Keiran McAvoy.

#22 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Be excellent for him if true.

#23 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Skolars were sjuppose to be a power using Broncos DR players.

Skolars are having sub par seasons barely in touch with play off positions

Skolars are in a play off position in 5th with 2 games in hand. They have never before qualified for the play offs.

Broncos' other DR club Hemel are in 3rd

#24 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Stop using facts you bloody cheat.

#25 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Skolars are in a play off position in 5th with 2 games in hand. They have never before qualified for the play offs.

If Skolars and Hemel are to exist as farm clubs to the Bronco's then thats fine, but quite frankly when they get to finals and such it dont really mean as much as it should does it?

#26 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I bet it does to there fans.

#27 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

I bet it does to there fans.

Possibly

#28 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

If Skolars and Hemel are to exist as farm clubs to the Bronco's then thats fine, but quite frankly when they get to finals and such it dont really mean as much as it should does it?

Skolars have got to a final and it means a heck of a lot to us.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

What part of "barely in touch with the playoffs" did you not understand?. I did not say they were not in a playoff spot. Skolars were being touted as possible champions or top contenders due to their DR players and ,in my opinion, have underachieved this season given that they have had access to Broncos SL players. Hemel do not seem to fit the DR mould as they are a new entry and have signed many of their own players as well as building a stand at their ground.

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Workington got to call on (mostly) young good players when we were lacking through injury and suspension, something we have struggled with over the past 3 seasons when we have consistently ran out of players. This meant we could continue to compete with other clubs, meaning a more competitive league rather than getting shallackings when we were down to dragging in ex players and local kids. What good would those beating have done those young players?

Fair enough, but come the playoffs or later season games which might make or break Town,s season, it is to be hoped that Widnes still are making players available.

#31 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

What part of "barely in touch with the playoffs" did you not understand?. I did not say they were not in a playoff spot. Skolars were being touted as possible champions or top contenders due to their DR players and ,in my opinion, have underachieved this season given that they have had access to Broncos SL players. Hemel do not seem to fit the DR mould as they are a new entry and have signed many of their own players as well as building a stand at their ground.

Not sure why you have to be so aggressive with your response. Pathetic and unnecessary.

Hemel have an identical DR arrangement to Skolars.

#32 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Skolars have always had access to Broncos players. That is not the reason why they are underachieving this season. It is also not the reason why they were being touted as top contenders either. Skolars have also signed many of their own players, just like Hemel.

You can't have it both ways.

Posted Image

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Skolars have always had access to Broncos players. That is not the reason why they are underachieving this season. It is also not the reason why they were being touted as top contenders either. Skolars have also signed many of their own players, just like Hemel.

You can't have it both ways.

So, are you saying that the DR players at Skolars were not a factor in them being projected to be a top team, even though these players were SL quality ?

Are you also saying that the fact that the the Skolars not living up to their potential this season, like at Hunslet and Swinton, is not a detrimental  point regarding the supposed DR benefits that were being touted as pluses for the participation of Championship teams ?

Why can't i have it both ways.? Hemel would seem to be the exeception that proves the rule. That they have had a modicum of success with the DR players in their ranks is diminished by the numerous other DR failures as has been discussed.

#34 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

So, are you saying that the DR players at Skolars were not a factor in them being projected to be a top team, even though these players were SL quality ?

Are you also saying that the fact that the the Skolars not living up to their potential this season, like at Hunslet and Swinton, is not a detrimental  point regarding the supposed DR benefits that were being touted as pluses for the participation of Championship teams ?

Why can't i have it both ways.? Hemel would seem to be the exeception that proves the rule. That they have had a modicum of success with the DR players in their ranks is diminished by the numerous other DR failures as has been discussed.

It is a factor, but not the only factor.

Skolars might have been bottom without those DR players, you never know.

There have been DR successes as well as failures.

I don't necessarily agree with how some clubs use DR, but you can't use a broad brush to say it has failed across the board, because it hasn't.

Posted Image

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

It is a factor, but not the only factor.

Skolars might have been bottom without those DR players, you never know.

There have been DR successes as well as failures.

I don't necessarily agree with how some clubs use DR, but you can't use a broad brush to say it has failed across the board, because it hasn't.

I think there are more failures than successes. I think it is what it always was, a cost cutting benefit to the SL clubs and minimal to no benefit to the Championship outfits.

When the loss of ambition and independence, coupled with the poor on field results that accompanies the Championship clubs acquiescence in these ventures are factored in, I think the schemes are mostly failures as far as advantages accruing to the lower tier teams.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Fair enough, but come the playoffs or later season games which might make or break Town,s season, it is to be hoped that Widnes still are making players available.

the way we are playing i hope workington make players available to us...........seriously, yes widnes will continue to honour the terms of the deal with town
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I think there are more failures than successes. I think it is what it always was, a cost cutting benefit to the SL clubs and minimal to no benefit to the Championship outfits.

When the loss of ambition and independence, coupled with the poor on field results that accompanies the Championship clubs acquiescence in these ventures are factored in, I think the schemes are mostly failures as far as advantages accruing to the lower tier teams.

How do you define success. For Hunslet quality DR players enabled the club to have a good start, once Leeds hit injuries and we played our own players we bombed to joint bottom. Leeds are trying to shore us up again but if that doesn't work then as the Boss says it could be curtains.DR isn't failing us, it's keeping us alive.

#38 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

How do you define success. For Hunslet quality DR players enabled the club to have a good start, once Leeds hit injuries and we played our own players we bombed to joint bottom. Leeds are trying to shore us up again but if that doesn't work then as the Boss says it could be curtains.DR isn't failing us, it's keeping us alive.

Are your gates up ? is your playing record better than last season.? If that's keeping you alive and a success, then I'm happy for you.

#39 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Interesting that the vast majority of critics of DR are those not involved. Seems to me that those informed, who actually understand what DR is all about, and how it actually works think it is a good idea.

The uninformed just make wild statements about how bad it is.

Not sure how many clubs are being forced to take part in DR against their will. What is it the SL clubs have? A few dodgy polaroids of some Championship Club Chairman at last year's end of season booze up?

#40 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Interesting that the vast majority of critics of DR are those not involved. Seems to me that those informed, who actually understand what DR is all about, and how it actually works think it is a good idea.

The uninformed just make wild statements about how bad it is.

Not sure how many clubs are being forced to take part in DR against their will. What is it the SL clubs have? A few dodgy polaroids of some Championship Club Chairman at last year's end of season booze up?

If the clubs using DR had more success on the field, I'd see it as a more credible option.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users