Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

VIDEO - Swinton v Keighley

swinton lions keighley cougars highlights rugby league knockout loss victory

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

A clear case of, if he's ad/r player he must be guilty!

And while we're at it let's mention a 4 game ban for Josh Barlow having been found guilty of biting - pretty disgusting conduct.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#22 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

And while we're at it let's mention a 4 game ban for Josh Barlow having been found guilty of biting - pretty disgusting conduct.

Spoke to officials of the club about this yesterday and they are adamant Josh didn't do it. Their version is that the player had his arm in Josh's mouth and left marks which of course it would. I asked how a bite mark would show since he would be wearing a gum shield....seems Josh doesn't.

Clearly if you push hard enough against your own teeth it will leave marks it doesn't constitute a bite.

Your line of " pretty disgusting conduct " is harsh to say the least, to make such a statement you have to hear both sides of the story or do you think the RL disciplinary get it right every single time.

#23 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

And while we're at it let's mention a 4 game ban for Josh Barlow having been found guilty of biting - pretty disgusting conduct.

If he did do it then I agree.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#24 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

When it comes to biting, then I agree with big bans, IF found guilty. Theres no room for cheap shots in our game. As for shoulder charges I think they are ok as long as no contact is made to the neck or head (which I think was the rules anyway), if you do then you receive a ban. Its no different to normal tackling, every now and then one goes high but we cant just ban everything. One more thing, it surprises me when people think the ozzy game is better officiated cos when I watch it rule 1 seems to be, dont blow for anything, just let play go on.

Wayne

#25 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

If he did do it then I agree.

Don't get me wrong if he did do it intentionally then yes I agree a long ban should be given.

#26 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Personally one of the best hits I've seen.
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Personally one of the best hits I've seen.

I agree and Ive looked at it a number of times. Entering the tackle with the ball you tend to duck, macking the tackle you drive up. It just looked like 2 men putting it all in! Weel done to Shickell for getting up!

#28 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Apparently we are very good in training.

So why don't we play our opponents when we've got a training session? That way we just might prevail.

#29 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

And while we're at it let's mention a 4 game ban for Josh Barlow having been found guilty of biting - pretty disgusting conduct.

"We're".....who's this we?
We are swinton fans discussing a topic
You're a leigh fan delighting in controversy and crying about it on the chambers thread as to why only you are being brought to task
If ever for once in my lifetime you make a point that supports the club /team/ fans I will buy you a pint

If the Mccarthy tackle is so clear to judge why is refereeing rugby so difficult?

#30 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Not at all. That late challenge by Samir Tahraoui was stupidity itself - fortunate to receive only a yellow card.

He should be dropped. Keighley may have gone onto beat us either way, but 3 tries went in whilst he was off the pitch. Not good enough in a game as big as that. It will be tough for us to recover now. I still reckon we need 3 wins (at least).

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Why stop at dropping him? He should be released without further a do

Come on now this is getting silly.

Bring back Dale !

#32 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

"We're".....who's this we?
We are swinton fans discussing a topic
You're a leigh fan delighting in controversy and crying about it on the chambers thread as to why only you are being brought to task
If ever for once in my lifetime you make a point that supports the club /team/ fans I will buy you a pint

If the Mccarthy tackle is so clear to judge why is refereeing rugby so difficult?

Same old, same old - move off the point and launch a spurious personal attack.

Back to the matter in hand.

I hold an opinion that RL is a relatively difficult sport to officiate, principally due to the nature of the game and some of its rules - interpretation of which is a vexed subject pretty much every week, despite the top level of the sport having gone further in adopting video technology than most.  The potential for people to see the same events differently in the context of the rules is rife.  Exemplified the disperate views of this tackle that have been expressed on here.

To my eyes its clear from the footage (something the referee won't have had the benefit of) that McCarthy made contact with his left shoulder directly into Shickell's jaw = a straightforward act of foul play and a sending off offence.  Other eyes appear to see it differently, c'est la vie - its not unusual!

#33 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Spurious personal attack? Youre no innocent on that score

You must have the best tv in Britain to see that so clearly but as I apparently have to treat your opinion as gospel I'll agree with you or no doubt Mr Drake will be slapping my wrist on your behalf again

#34 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

He should be dropped. Keighley may have gone onto beat us either way, but 3 tries went in whilst he was off the pitch. Not good enough in a game as big as that. It will be tough for us to recover now. I still reckon we need 3 wins (at least).

Too far Bryce. He got 10 which may have been the reason, may not but if we adopt that attitude we'd have no team left!

#35 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Same old, same old - move off the point and launch a spurious personal attack.

Back to the matter in hand.

I hold an opinion that RL is a relatively difficult sport to officiate, principally due to the nature of the game and some of its rules - interpretation of which is a vexed subject pretty much every week, despite the top level of the sport having gone further in adopting video technology than most. The potential for people to see the same events differently in the context of the rules is rife. Exemplified the disperate views of this tackle that have been expressed on here.

To my eyes its clear from the footage (something the referee won't have had the benefit of) that McCarthy made contact with his left shoulder directly into Shickell's jaw = a straightforward act of foul play and a sending off offence. Other eyes appear to see it differently, c'est la vie - its not unusual!

Its clear from the footage, and ive paused it, that at point of impact TM had both feet on the ground and drove his shoulder into ASs chest whilst TMs head is buried in ASs left shoulder. The impact along with AS lowering on impact to gain weight in the tackle drove into his upper chest. You cannot tell if contact was definitely made with the head even in slow mo.
Not 1 of the Keighley player complained to the ref at any time nor sought justice for their team mate!

I dont know what they call the opposite of rose tinted spectacles but you may have bought some !

#36 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Its clear from the footage, and ive paused it, that at point of impact TM had both feet on the ground and drove his shoulder into ASs chest whilst TMs head is buried in ASs left shoulder. The impact along with AS lowering on impact to gain weight in the tackle drove into his upper chest. You cannot tell if contact was definitely made with the head even in slow mo.
Not 1 of the Keighley player complained to the ref at any time nor sought justice for their team mate!

I dont know what they call the opposite of rose tinted spectacles but you may have bought some !

Either your blue tinted spectacles give you the power of lip reading, even of words spoken "off camera", or you had a direct link to a microphone on the referee, or you're just guessing.  How else can you know what the Keighley players may or may not have said in the middle?

Personally I'd say the Keighley side was concentrated on getting the best type of justice - by ensuring they won the match. Seeking physical retribution in such circumstances is generally not a smart move as the probable outcome would have been a game of 12-a-side, at least for 10 minutes.

Why be so wound up?  The guy isn't even a Swinton player and with the Wolves reaching the later stages of the Challenge Cup the likelihood is even if Tyrone McCarthy is not banned, Tony Smith will use him for a bit of squad rotation at the Halliwell Jones rather than having him turning out for the Lions.

#37 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Well said ^^^^^^^

Wayne

#38 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Spurious personal attack? Youre no innocent on that score

You must have the best tv in Britain to see that so clearly but as I apparently have to treat your opinion as gospel I'll agree with you or no doubt Mr Drake will be slapping my wrist on your behalf again

Sorry to disappoint, but if you were to read all of my preceding post you will see an acceptance that people often see these sorts of things differently and "that's life"... been going on for at least as long as I've followed the game. 

As for Mr Drake, he is his own man.  I did note that he had modified one of your references to Dr Koukash that contained an offensive term. In light of the apparent fact that bad language from Keighley supporters made you feel uncomfortable, please accept there is no need for it on here, either.

#39 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Either your blue tinted spectacles give you the power of lip reading, even of words spoken "off camera", or you had a direct link to a microphone on the referee, or you're just guessing. How else can you know what the Keighley players may or may not have said in the middle?

Personally I'd say the Keighley side was concentrated on getting the best type of justice - by ensuring they won the match. Seeking physical retribution in such circumstances is generally not a smart move as the probable outcome would have been a game of 12-a-side, at least for 10 minutes.

Why be so wound up? The guy isn't even a Swinton player and with the Wolves reaching the later stages of the Challenge Cup the likelihood is even if Tyrone McCarthy is not banned, Tony Smith will use him for a bit of squad rotation at the Halliwell Jones rather than having him turning out for the Lions.

A rather typical response from you phillip, dodge the original issue, change the subject matter, ignore the video you first quoted from, have a sly dig etc etc.

You couldnt wind me up with a big stick matey. If it doesnt bother you so much, dont post and dont read.

I will pass on your message to TM and you can explain your comments to him personally if you ever come again. Surely you would!

#40 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but if you were to read all of my preceding post you will see an acceptance that people often see these sorts of things differently and "that's life"... been going on for at least as long as I've followed the game.

As for Mr Drake, he is his own man. I did note that he had modified one of your references to Dr Koukash that contained an offensive term. In light of the apparent fact that bad language from Keighley supporters made you feel uncomfortable, please accept there is no need for it on here, either.

Please quote where I mention bad language?

I used a very minor swear word which beat the in built swear filter. Rather amazing how Mr Drake found it.
I wonder how that happened?
I won't do it again although I'm amazed how sensitive you've become .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swinton, lions, keighley, cougars, highlights, rugby, league, knockout, loss, victory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users