Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Leigh will not sell out. The thinking is that it will at least be full and look good on tv. But it won't.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

a laughable venue choice. The logic of course is to get as many people as possible into the ground - the RFL have decided that London dont have any fans so have put it in a place where Wigan (sorry Widnes) can get as many fans without it actually being at the Whelandome. As we can see that a neutral ground isnt any consideration in these matters they should have stuck it in a small ground in London and actually tried to help the game in London - nah, where's the future in that?

#23 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Leigh will not sell out. The thinking is that it will at least be full and look good on tv. But it won't.

I'm not buying that.

For arguments sake lets say that that Widnes win tonight (& my fiver @ 10-1 comes in...!!) and the RL rethink the plan and decide to change the semi final venue to Barnet FC. How will all the Chemics fans feel about that?

It's wrong & it shows a lack of intelligence & common sense to choose LSV

#24 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

My last response wasn't a dig at you by the way.

In football terms it's like a Man U v Fulham FA cup semi being played at Preston - no disrespect to Leigh or Preston

#25 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

If London got 12k every game I'd have sympathy. They don't. I won't.

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Just to be clear, they will both be tucked away live on the UK's third most watched TV channel, which is more than can be claimed by any other domestic cup except for one of the FA Cup semi-finals which is on ITV.

We have had these games on BBC1 previously. Putting games on BBC will adversely affect viewing figures.

If we have made the decision that we want to keep this tournament on terrestrial TV, we should be looking for maximum exposure.

6pm on a Sunday evening on BBC 2 is not prime time.

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Conspiracy theorists will see a desire to guide Hull through as the Wires fans are tiring of Wembley and Hull fans are desperate.

:laugh: Terrific stuff...keep it up!

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

If London got 12k every game I'd have sympathy. They don't. I won't.

How big does a team need to be before it should be allowed a proper neutral venue its supporters can get to?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

How big does a team need to be before it should be allowed a proper neutral venue its supporters can get to?

anything bigger than London would be the answer methinks. If a championship club from Yorkshire,for example,had bluffed their way through to the Semi's and they put them against Wigan at Leigh there would be open insurrection ;-)

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

It's at times like this when the people who run our game really let themselves down. This is why most of us lack confidence in them.

Get out of the office and explain why:

1. They've chosen a venue that is not big enough (it would have to be a fantastic explanation by the way)
2. It's 10 minutes from Wigan and 5 hours from London & has awful travel links. This would have been a chance to give London some tangible (and low cost) support and have it at Doncaster.

It's a total disgrace and it kicks every London fan in the teeth. Has anyone got the decency to stand up and explain it......??

Whilst I don't think the Leigh choice is right, making things up weaken your argument.

1 - The venue will be big enough for this game. 

Look at Wigan's last semi finals - Against Saints (2011) there were empty seats at the HJ with a crowd of 12.7k.

Against Leeds (2012) there were 12.8k - two of the biggest teams in the game.

Against Wire (2010) - there were empty seats and Wire sold some of Wigan's allocation.

2 - It's not 5hrs from London. Looking at Google shows that from the Stoop to LSV it is 3hrs 15. It is pretty quick if you use public transport too.

Like I say, I don;t like the choice, but don;t weaken your own argument.

#31 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Whilst I don't think the Leigh choice is right, making things up weaken your argument.

Look at Wigan's last semi finals - Against Saints (2011) there were empty seats at the HJ with a crowd of 12.7k.

Against Wire (2010) - there were empty seats and Wire sold some of Wigan's allocation.

2 - It's not 5hrs from London. Looking at Google shows that from the Stoop to LSV it is 3hrs 15. It is pretty quick if you use public transport too.

Three hours 15 mins from the Stoop to Leigh?  is that at  3am at 75mph? More like 4hrs 30 mins if you are very lucky with traffic and parking. 

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Three hours 15 mins from the Stoop to Leigh?  is that at  3am at 75mph? More like 4hrs 30 mins if you are very lucky with traffic and parking. 

The AA has it as a door to door without stopping for a slash of 3'40".  

Google is often quite (ahem) variable with its accuracy.

- Severus, July 2012

#33 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

3 hours is highly optimistic for most of London's fans and if any of the 12 northern SL clubs fans were asked to travel over 3 hours to a semi they'd be spitting feathers. Then add to the fun by putting it a few miles away from the team they're playing and woof!

Anyway, I suppose it's all academic as I expect Wiggin to do Widnes and then tear the Broncos a new one wherever they play. But still, poor form.

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

The AA has it as a door to door without stopping for a slash of 3'40".  

Google is often quite (ahem) variable with its accuracy.

Never had major issues with Google tbh - 212 miles in 3hrs 15 on motorways didn't set any alarm bells ringing.

#35 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

We have had these games on BBC1 previously. Putting games on BBC will adversely affect viewing figures.

If we have made the decision that we want to keep this tournament on terrestrial TV, we should be looking for maximum exposure.

6pm on a Sunday evening on BBC 2 is not prime time.

It better not cut into Top Gear!

It's time to park the camels.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Never had major issues with Google tbh - 212 miles in 3hrs 15 on motorways didn't set any alarm bells ringing.

It seems more than a mite optimistic.

Plus even if it weren't it's at best a mere 180 minutes further away than London's opponents are travelling.

- Severus, July 2012

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

3 hours is highly optimistic for most of London's fans and if any of the 12 northern SL clubs fans were asked to travel over 3 hours to a semi they'd be spitting feathers. Then add to the fun by putting it a few miles away from the team they're playing and woof!

Anyway, I suppose it's all academic as I expect Wiggin to do Widnes and then tear the Broncos a new one wherever they play. But still, poor form.

It is, but do you look to cater for 500 fans of one club, or 6-7k of another club?

It's okay anyway, I clicked the train button on Google and that ups the time to just shy of 7hrs!

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

It seems more than a mite optimistic.

Plus even if it weren't it's at best a mere 180 minutes further away than London's opponents are travelling.

I don't think anybody agrees with the selection. 

The fact that Wigan will be able to pretty much have their usual routine bar the last couple of hours is a big advantage.

#39 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Dave but I think it's bigger than quoting stats. If you are a London fan you are going to be totally hacked off.

We want you London fans to be part of things but if you want to safely make kick off time leave just after breakfast and you might just be home by bed time. It will cost you a lot of money in fuel, train tickets etc but that's what you get for being outside the M62 corridor. You should have thought of that.

On the bright side after your drive through 7 different cointies you could save money on parking & build inter club relations by asking a Wigan fan if you can park in their driveway and then walk to the ground with them.

If Catalan had made it through it would have been interesting.....

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

It is, but do you look to cater for 500 fans of one club, or 6-7k of another club?

To be honest I would have expected Wigan to take 6-7k wherever the match was played.  Asking them to travel 90 minutes or so for a properly neutral venue is hardly taxing.

I am curious as to why we need to take in the size of a club's support before deciding how fair to treat them in a competition though.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users