Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final details confirmed

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

If Catalan had made it through it would have been interesting.....

Played at the Halliwell Jones wasn't it when Cats did Wigan in the semis?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I realise that getting the most people through the gates is the notion and this is the one that will do that but surely a semi final venue should be 'neutral'. This isnt and the only reason it's not a massive deal is that it's crappy little London who nearly nobody gives two hoots about. As I said before as it doesnt matter how far it is from Club A & Club B then they should have stuck it in a small ground in London, handed it over to the 'Big Hit' crowd and put some bums on seats.

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

My last response wasn't a dig at you by the way.

In football terms it's like a Man U v Fulham FA cup semi being played at Preston - no disrespect to Leigh or Preston

The difference is that it would practically sell out, regardless of the venue. The RFL have tried to tempt supporters to the semis before by using smaller venues, thinking it would be over subscribed. It didn't work then and won't now.

This is why the reasons given for RL fans not attending are bunkum.
Two big teams? Not sold out because 'people are fed up of the same old faces'.
Two smaller teams? Not sold out because 'they will get hammered and have no fans'

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I realise that getting the most people through the gates is the notion and this is the one that will do that but surely a semi final venue should be 'neutral'. This isnt and the only reason it's not a massive deal is that it's crappy little London who nearly nobody gives two hoots about. As I said before as it doesnt matter how far it is from Club A & Club B then they should have stuck it in a small ground in London, handed it over to the 'Big Hit' crowd and put some bums on seats.

The 'Big Hit' crowd won't come cheaply.

It is a neutral ground, neither Wigan or London normally play there, although I do think it gives an unfair advantage.

People do give two hoots, I haven;t seen anybody claim it's a good choice, however the reason for it is that London are a basket case of a club and can't get a crowd to turn up so it could be very embarassing if it was played in London.

Even Warrington would have been a far better choice as it is on the West Coast line and is at least out of the Borough of Wigan!

#45 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Played at the Halliwell Jones wasn't it when Cats did Wigan in the semis?

...and at Widnes when Wire stuffed them

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

The 'Big Hit' crowd won't come cheaply.

It is a neutral ground, neither Wigan or London normally play there, although I do think it gives an unfair advantage.

People do give two hoots, I haven;t seen anybody claim it's a good choice, however the reason for it is that London are a basket case of a club and can't get a crowd to turn up so it could be very embarassing if it was played in London.

Even Warrington would have been a far better choice as it is on the West Coast line and is at least out of the Borough of Wigan!

London were less of a basket-case of a club when the same thing happened in 1999.  This is how the RFL always seem to work and it's depressing to see it in action again.

There are any number of LSV-sized venues which would have been actually neutral and better for access.

- Severus, July 2012

#47 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

So much for a neutral venue, and for me attending. Just plain ridiculous.

#48 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

If we have made the decision that we want to keep this tournament on terrestrial TV, we should be looking for maximum exposure.

Just to be clear, I never realised the game was in such a position to make demands. In which case I am sorry for suggesting that being on the third most watched channel, and something only one other equivalent competition can claim, is a good thing. We should tell the BBC we would rather not be televised at all than appear on a channel beneath us.

I now also understand why people are suggesting the London v Widnes/Wigan semi final should be played at a venue like Walsall, were the cost more to hire it could end up being higher than the revenue we could earn.

It also explains why the Leigh Sports Village (a poor location regardless) is too small. Between them Wigan and Leeds could only attract just under 13,000 at Huddersfield. But replace Leeds with London, and potentially Wigan with Widnes, and the higher standard of those matches there is no chance the attendance could be 2,000 lower than one between the two best supported teams in the game, which would be enough to sell out the LSV.

#49 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

I am curious as to why we need to take in the size of a club's support before deciding how fair to treat them in a competition though.

Just to be clear, because the game is not flush with money and so wants to make a profit hosting games.

#50 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just to be clear, because the game is not flush with money and so wants to make a profit hosting games.

Never knew the deck had to be rigged to keep the game going.

- Severus, July 2012

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Just to be clear, I never realised the game was in such a position to make demands. In which case I am sorry for suggesting that being on the third most watched channel, and something only one other equivalent competition can claim, is a good thing. We should tell the BBC we would rather not be televised at all than appear on a channel beneath us.

i didn't say anything about making demands - but let's also be clear that as a game we could probably make more money from selling the Challenge Cup to Sky, or maybe even ESPN. 

If we are deciding to keep it on terrestrial TV, then playing evenings on BBC2 isn't where we should be.

If these viewing figures are higher than when these have been televised on a Saturday afternoon on BBC1 then fair enough, but I doubt they are (getting viewing figs for the BBC games is difficult - people just usually lazily quote a million).

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

We have had these games on BBC1 previously. Putting games on BBC will adversely affect viewing figures.

The general pattern for weekend sport on the BBC is BBC1 on Saturdays and BBC2 on Sundays. BBC1 is only used for sport on Sundays when there's more than one sporting event running concurrently. 

The main exception is Formula 1 and is probably part of the broadcast deal. The weekend of the CC semifinals also sees the BBC televising World Championship Swimming and the Anniversary Games.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#53 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

If Catalan had made it through it would have been interesting.....

Why ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

The general pattern for weekend sport on the BBC is BBC1 on Saturdays and BBC2 on Sundays. BBC1 is only used for sport on Sundays when there's more than one sporting event running concurrently. 

The main exception is Formula 1 and is probably part of the broadcast deal. The weekend of the CC semifinals also sees the BBC televising World Championship Swimming and the Anniversary Games.

Yep - when we moved to two games on the BBC we usually had a 'main' game on Saturday BBC 1 with the second game on Sunday on BBC2. We now appear to have lost the BBC1 slot apart from the Final.

#55 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

London were less of a basket-case of a club when the same thing happened in 1999.  This is how the RFL always seem to work and it's depressing to see it in action again.

There are any number of LSV-sized venues which would have been actually neutral and better for access.

Doncaster

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yep - when we moved to two games on the BBC we usually had a 'main' game on Saturday BBC 1 with the second game on Sunday on BBC2. We now appear to have lost the BBC1 slot apart from the Final.

Last Saturday, there was a schedule clash with the Athletics, so RL would have had to have been on BBC2 anyway.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#57 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Why ?

Same issue. NEUTRAL venue?

#58 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Same issue. NEUTRAL venue?

Neutral venue in the context of the cup competition simply means not at the home ground of one of the participant clubs. There is nothing to say the venue must be equidistant from both.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#59 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Really not sure why there is so much drama over being on one of the most watched TV channels in the UK, right before one of the most watched TV programmes in the UK.

Everybody has an EPG on their TV these days, and BBC2 is on page 1 of all of them.

Of course, if it was also on during prime time, everybody would be moaning about the late kick off...

Posted Image

#60 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

For London fans in groups it isnt so bad - Leigh is only a 20min taxi journey from Wigan NW or 30mins from Manchester Piccadilly. I think the train is only 2 hours these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users