Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitebank road capacity

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

We are not Salfords A team ffs, the link with them is no where near what its like for Hornets for example, we have used the dual reg really well and the lads that have come from there have given everything for OLDHAM!!! As for the ground ,groundshare is a possibility i suppose, definately wouldnt fancy Salford or Spotland, if we need a year to get more money in place for our OWN ground improvements, whats wrong with the Tameside community stadium or Hurst Cross? Just a thought. I thought it was pretty good at Hurst Cross, close to the action, not too far to travel. There are many options, im sure they will all be considered for the benefit of Oldham RLFC.

#22 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I am with thecrab on this one.  I don't see where the money is coming from to upgrade Whitebank to any kind of decent standard.  Couple that with the very poor location in terms of access for traffic associated with any sizeable crowd I think it is imperative that the club wastes no more money on what is essentially a very poor facility.  If messages on other forums are correct and we can't even sort out showers/running water how the hell can we develop a ground for a club with ambition?  I will confess that I have not seen any matches this year and only two last year.  This is NOT any kind of active protest against the club or its chairman.  I simply don't think that the product on offer in the venue offered is worth much more than a fiver.  Couple that with general disillusionment with the game and its structure explains why I am not there along with the rest of the family.

The sporting teams in this town need to get some kind of arrangement sorted for a sensible ground share.  It is interesting to see that Hull Wigan and Huddersfield all have teams in higher leagues in both sports.

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

the simplest option would be to develop whitebank into a training & academy base....and play 1st team games at boundary park....

rumour a few week ago was that the salford doctor was gonna buy latics....has that gone cold?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Totally agree Roughyedspud.  A combined facility for Latics and Roughyeds at Whitebank for training etc and joint use of BP for first teams.  Trouble is the power is all in the hands of the football club.  The council missed a trick the last time they rescued Latics by buying the ground. Any condition for buyback should have been conditional on joint use.

#25 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

We are not Salfords A team ffs, the link with them is no where near what its like for Hornets for example, we have used the dual reg really well and the lads that have come from there have given everything for OLDHAM!!! As for the ground ,groundshare is a possibility i suppose, definately wouldnt fancy Salford or Spotland, if we need a year to get more money in place for our OWN ground improvements, whats wrong with the Tameside community stadium or Hurst Cross? Just a thought. I thought it was pretty good at Hurst Cross, close to the action, not too far to travel. There are many options, im sure they will all be considered for the benefit of Oldham RLFC.

Fully agree with you on this, I was dead against the set up at first but Scott as used it to our advantage and as you say the guys that have come have been heart and soul playing for Oldham.

As for us being Salford's A team I thought it was the other way round, who is top of the league and playing better entertaining rugby.

If and I can't see it for some reason we decided to play at Salford or Spotland that would be the death of the Roughyeds even Tameside would be a disaster after all the years as nomads we cannot afford to leave town again.

I previously stated I know from a good source that the criteria for the ground should we get promotion is to upgrade the floodlights and add another 500 seats, £50,000 championship prize money would go along way to help with that should we go up has champions.

#26 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

I am with thecrab on this one.  I don't see where the money is coming from to upgrade Whitebank to any kind of decent standard.  Couple that with the very poor location in terms of access for traffic associated with any sizeable crowd I think it is imperative that the club wastes no more money on what is essentially a very poor facility.  If messages on other forums are correct and we can't even sort out showers/running water how the hell can we develop a ground for a club with ambition?  I will confess that I have not seen any matches this year and only two last year.  This is NOT any kind of active protest against the club or its chairman.  I simply don't think that the product on offer in the venue offered is worth much more than a fiver.  Couple that with general disillusionment with the game and its structure explains why I am not there along with the rest of the family.

The sporting teams in this town need to get some kind of arrangement sorted for a sensible ground share.  It is interesting to see that Hull Wigan and Huddersfield all have teams in higher leagues in both sports.

I have to disagree with you here, you state that you have only been to two games in two seasons and the product is not worth more than a fiver, at times in the past I might have agreed with you, but the quality of the rugby and the enthusiasm of the team this year as been worth every penny.

I agree the structure of the game is wrong but that is not the clubs fault it lies with the RFL we need more home game time to make it viable revenue set up

I am and have stated previously no CH fan,but how can he run a viable club on the gates we are getting especially when fans are staying away like yourself for what seems reasons beyond his control, it's probably to late now in the season but I can assure you this season as been one of the best for many,there are no superstars just genuine guys who want to play and play for one another. COME ON SUNDAY AND HAVE A LOOK.

#27 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Great post Higgy. Thats what we need people to come and see the effort and entertainment on the pitch. I cant understand how people can judge the product without actually seeing it. Unbelievable!

#28 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Playing at Salford is a non starter as Salford don't actually own the ground. I seem to remember that Marwan koukash tried to buy the ground but couldn't agree a deal.

#29 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I accept what you are saying about me not seeing the product and this is the reason why I have posted very rarely.  I have however been impressed by what I have read this season. .  However when I talk about the product I am not just talking about the standard of rugby played I am talking about the disjointed fixture set up and lack of matches and in our case the depressing pitch. It's not just Oldham matches; I don't watch any RL now.  The two games I saw last year were S Wales away and Workington at home, both of which were victories.  Neither of those inspired me very much I am afraid.  I would definitely have come to the Crusaders game but unfortunately I was on holiday.  (A problem with summer rugby). I would very much like to come on Sunday but I have already committed to taking my son to an alternative sporting event.  (Another problem with summer rugby).  

Good luck for the rest of the season and if we are in the play offs I will be along to give my support.if my own sporting commitments permit.

#30 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I accept what you are saying about me not seeing the product and this is the reason why I have posted very rarely.  I have however been impressed by what I have read this season. .  However when I talk about the product I am not just talking about the standard of rugby played I am talking about the disjointed fixture set up and lack of matches and in our case the depressing pitch. It's not just Oldham matches; I don't watch any RL now.  The two games I saw last year were S Wales away and Workington at home, both of which were victories.  Neither of those inspired me very much I am afraid.  I would definitely have come to the Crusaders game but unfortunately I was on holiday.  (A problem with summer rugby). I would very much like to come on Sunday but I have already committed to taking my son to an alternative sporting event.  (Another problem with summer rugby).  

Good luck for the rest of the season and if we are in the play offs I will be along to give my support.if my own sporting commitments permit.

I must say I agree with you regarding the disjointed fixtures and lack of matches the RFL need to take a good look at these and sort it out the revenue stream for the club must be very poor especially considering the traveling involved this year.

I wouldn't consider the state of the pitch to bad other than the slope which we seem to have used to our advantage at times, Rob the Gardner has done a good job of making it playable and I have seen worse over the years like Batley in the old days.

I have also got to agree with you about the summer rugby there are too many distractions especially with a family, and with the constant breaks with games you find other things to do we need to be playing home and away every other week to maintain interest.

Sorry Steve I hope we don't see you at the play offs I hope we have gone up as Champions.

#31 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Steve....whatever your thoughts about the ground, CH, current RL structure and apathy, watching Oldham this season (from the games ive seen) is enjoyable. The team effort, enthusiasm, desire and skill is a million miles away from the Benson era and is refreshing. Give it a go on Sunday or at least for the Rochdale game when that bit of extra support could make the difference and take us up automatically.

#32 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Higgy I hope that happens also but I can't see Crusaders slipping up.   When I say pitch I am not commenting on the surface and I am not bothered about the slope!  I refer to the "stadium" as a pitch because it doesn't have the facilities to call it a stadium. I will however do my best to go to Spotland and hopefully take my 6 year old son with me as he will at least be able to see properly there.

Thank you for the constructive comments by the way.  Too many on here help to reinforce peoples disillusionment.

#33 roytonyed

roytonyed
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

.  Too many on here help to reinforce peoples disillusionment.

The only disillusioned person "here" is you Steve.

The old days are gone so face up, shut up and go watch.

#34 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Wow roytonyed.  You have just made my mind up to go elsewhere on Sunday.  Seems I can't have opinions or be disillusioned after 45 years.  Lottery standing order will be next.

#35 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I like many would love to see Oldham with a wonderful stadium but first and foremost i want to watch a good team and that is what we have at the moment. I was one of many who got a soaking when we beat the so called invincible North Wales the other week and yet I didn't hear many moaning about the weather conditions etc. Yes some cover would have been appreciated but the product on the pitch was fantastic. I've noticed the negativity about the playing side of things has now dwindled and has moved onto the ground. Let's get promotion and then see what happens.

#36 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I like many would love to see Oldham with a wonderful stadium but first and foremost i want to watch a good team and that is what we have at the moment. I was one of many who got a soaking when we beat the so called invincible North Wales the other week and yet I didn't hear many moaning about the weather conditions etc. Yes some cover would have been appreciated but the product on the pitch was fantastic. I've noticed the negativity about the playing side of things has now dwindled and has moved onto the ground. Let's get promotion and then see what happens.

We were the same got absolutely soaked even to my socks, in the past we would have walked but you could not walk away from that game even if the downpour had continued. It was nice to see the Crusaders fans celebrate by taking their shirts off, they must have had an uncomfortable journey home.

#37 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

The only disillusioned person "here" is you Steve.

The old days are gone so face up, shut up and go watch.

Really no need for these comments, there are too many who have stayed or are staying away for their own reasons, and by god my family have more reason than most, but I do not go to support CH I go for the love of Oldham Roughyeds and nothing else, always have always will.

Come on give people like Steve some encouragement to come back.

#38 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Well said Higgy, out of order those comments re. Steve.

I was and am pretty vociforous for people to come back and enjoy the atmosphere and the game, comments like that dont do nothing but encourage people to stay away. Everybody is welcome at the Whitebank, new or old supporters, it was great to see faces i havnt seen for ages/never at the Cru game. Encourage people Roytonyed dont put people off by personal and stupid comments.

#39 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm not as optimistic as 34 and OOTR because I just don't believe CH has the dosh to get the stand built. Time will tell of course.

I also dont think CH will waste any dosh renting seating. I think the more realistic option is we may ground share until Whitebank is upgraded and meets the required standards.

The obvious contenders here are BP and Spottyland but has anyone considered that we may end up playing at Salfords ground for a reduced rent as part of our alliance with them?

Makes sense to CH as we get reduced rates and playing at a decent stadium with decent facilities. Also makes sense for Salford to have its A team playing closer to home. Any thoughts?

Featherstone got two stands from Scarborough Football ground for a cheap price and have used them to upgrade Post offoce Road to SL standard.

With that in mind, is the Weaste still standing and, if so, are any of the seats or stands or turnstiles or anything useable at Oldham to upgrade the ground to championship standard ? Just a thought.

#40 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Featherstone got two stands from Scarborough Football ground for a cheap price and have used them to upgrade Post offoce Road to SL standard.

With that in mind, is the Weaste still standing and, if so, are any of the seats or stands or turnstiles or anything useable at Oldham to upgrade the ground to championship standard ? Just a thought.

Oldham already have part of the stand from the willows .The concrete base is behind the current stand and the seats are at a storage yard, just waiting to be installed if and w hen planning and cash permit .

Edited by roughyed8, 16 August 2013 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users