• Coach
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

and I disagree.  So nah nah na nah na!!!   :tongue:  :tongue:

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

The bombing of Libya, The occupation of Afghanistan, the arming of the "rebels" in syria, 100% unwavering support for Israel, selling arms to barbaric regimes in the gulf etc.

The bombing of Libya as requested by the Arab league.

The arming of Syrian rebels still hasn't happened.

The EU voted for some minor sanctions against Jewish settlements in the West Bank just the other day.

I'd hardly call the gulf states "barbaric". They are not my cup of tea but no worse than Arab regimes elsewhere.

#23 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

The bombing of Libya, The occupation of Afghanistan, the arming of the "rebels" in syria, 100% unwavering support for Israel, selling arms to barbaric regimes in the gulf etc.

So the systematic destruction of the Islamic world then?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#24 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

we're hardly going to sell guns to peace loving hippies are we?

#25 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

we're hardly going to sell guns to peace loving hippies are we?

How about the morals of it? And where would you draw the line, hitler? Pol pot? north Korea? the Taliban?

#26 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

How about the morals of it? And where would you draw the line, hitler? Pol pot? north Korea? the Taliban?

morals? you draw the line at those who don't have anything we want and those who won't pay up (though the easy way to make them pay is to say you'll just give bigger guns to the other side).

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yup - but I would say the BBC is giving the Coalition a surprisingly easy ride at the minute, especially on its main news website which frequently leads with government policy and its supposed impacts without any real challenge to the veracity of any figures, statements etc used.

Yup!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Yup - but I would say the BBC is giving the Coalition a surprisingly easy ride at the minute, especially on its main news website which frequently leads with government policy and its supposed impacts without any real challenge to the veracity of any figures, statements etc used.

Indeed, but the BBC probably have one eye on the ever present threat to it's operation sponsored by Murdoch and received warmly by many in the Tory party. In other words they are a bit frighted of rocking the boat too much.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#29 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

The BBC is outstanding but there is a great deal of irony when self-proclaimed "progressives" go around shutting down even the slightest criticism of the Corporation. We're lucky to have the BBC (and I love Sky as much as anyone) but nor should it be beyond reproach.

As for Cameron, try coming and putting up with the shower we have in Stormont. You'll even find that Peter Bone or Jeremy Corbyn (delete as appropriate) are worth having as leader :D

#30 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Indeed, but the BBC probably have one eye on the ever present threat to it's operation sponsored by Murdoch and received warmly by many in the Tory party. In other words they are a bit frighted of rocking the boat too much.

A bit frighted?

#31 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

The BBC is outstanding but there is a great deal of irony when self-proclaimed "progressives" go around shutting down even the slightest criticism of the Corporation. We're lucky to have the BBC (and I love Sky as much as anyone) but nor should it be beyond reproach.

As for Cameron, try coming and putting up with the shower we have in Stormont. You'll even find that Peter Bone or Jeremy Corbyn (delete as appropriate) are worth having as leader :D

I've not seen anyone, let alone self-proclaimed "progressives", going around shutting down criticism of the BBC. It's just that the campaign to brand the BBC as an anti-conservative/anti-Conservative force needs to be exposed for the ludicrous and partisan exercise it is.

As for the shower you have in Stormont, you should just count yourself fortunate that you don't have the shower that you had in Stormont when I was growing up.

#32 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm not often impressed by David Cameron but on this I most certainly am:

It would have been very easy for him to have kept his head down and not done this.  Yet he did and will most likely get a big bunch of people frothy mouthed about nothing.  I saw the ranting on the EDL Facebook page about ITV daring to broadcast sunrise and sunset times for Ramadan, I'd hate to see what they'd say about this!

To return to the OP, I am no fan of David Cameron. His premiership, and his government's economic record in particular, has been largely disastrous - as many suspected it would be. When it comes to issues such as the tolerance and understanding of religious minorities, and the pushing through of the recent Equal Marriage Act through the Westminster parliament, in the face of much opposition from his own side, then he should be commended.

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I've not seen anyone, let alone self-proclaimed "progressives", going around shutting down criticism of the BBC. It's just that the campaign to brand the BBC as an anti-conservative/anti-Conservative force needs to be exposed for the ludicrous and partisan exercise it is.

http://www.standard....as-6509105.html

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Three years old from an old Chief Executive.

Not relevant.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

How will he address the issue of gay marriage(or being gay at all) to the Muslim community? They don't seem to be very inclusive or understanding on that issue.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users