Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keith Mason's Action

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Have you ever seen Mason play? He usually gives three penalties away in the first twenty minutes, tries to pick on someone half his size, gets belted by someone twice his size and then skulks off with a face like a smacked ######.

42k is plenty.

Just for putting yourself out on the field in Super League week-in week-out is worth far more than £42k.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just for putting yourself out on the field in Super League week-in week-out is worth far more than £42k.

What???  :shout: Compared to the guts and bravery involved in being a shiny ar*e who sits in front of a screen for a living...........?  ;)

#43 Barry Badrinath

Barry Badrinath
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Have you ever seen Mason play? He usually gives three penalties away in the first twenty minutes, tries to pick on someone half his size, gets belted by someone twice his size and then skulks off with a face like a smacked ######.

42k is plenty.

I bumped into Luke Robinson in Manchester on grand final day last year, and asked him about mason, as wire had played them just before the play offs. Mason knocked on several times and spent the day tryin to offer all our forwards out at every scrum. Robbo reckoned all his team mates were proper ###### at him.

"Keith I've just done 32 tackles, you can sod off if you think I'm helping you in a fight"

#44 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Also, IIRC, the Giants are well under the Salary cap, having left space to sign a halfback...since they haven't done that they will be fine

As for if its in or out of cap - surely it ultimately depends on how HMRC view the award

#45 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

the door is open now for every player released mid contract to seek financial recompense from his club. he got fixed up with a club that takes other clubs rejects (ben davies, jamie ellis) so he should be happy.

Did Widnes coach ben davies from a kid or did they take him on from another club? you know like another clubs reject for example?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#46 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm sure everyone else finds this really interesting...

Was aware of that, done a bit of D&O and EPL broking in the past.

Point was it is a fairly common insurance that would cover this, albeit one that is generally undervalued and surprisingly frequently not bought. Hope they didn't decide against it in a cost cutting exercise.

Appreciate that, I was probably going a bit too far but basically my point being (as you also mentioned) that many buy D&O but not many buy EPL, so it could be a very expensive lesson to the Giants, and a warning to other clubs!

What would you rather pay, £1,000 for insurance or £167,000 in compensation.

#47 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Appreciate that, I was probably going a bit too far but basically my point being (as you also mentioned) that many buy D&O but not many buy EPL, so it could be a very expensive lesson to the Giants, and a warning to other clubs!

What would you rather pay, £1,000 for insurance or £167,000 in compensation.

True that. I remember several of my clients having a similar penny pinching attitude. Trying to explain it wasn't a money spinner for me (it made us next to nothing) but something that would be really useful was met with incredulity from supposedly intelligent people quite often.

#48 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Also, IIRC, the Giants are well under the Salary cap, having left space to sign a halfback...since they haven't done that they will be fine

As for if its in or out of cap - surely it ultimately depends on how HMRC view the award

HMRC hacve nothing to do with it as it's an RFL rule.

Whether it causes a problem may depend on how the rule is enforced - if  the whole £170K is all put on this year I'd guess there will be a problem, if it's spread across the length of Mason's contract, then maybe not.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#49 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Actually it's everything to do with the HMRC

If they don't treat it as income then the RFL can't overrule the law...

As I said, it's not going to be too much of an issue

#50 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Well, the court has ruled that he was done out of £170K of income by by the club, so it has ruled that he must be paid the income he was done out of..What would you call it?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#51 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well, the court has ruled that he was done out of £170K of income by by the club, so it has ruled that he must be paid the income he was done out of..What would you call it?

Compensation?

Posted Image

#52 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Compensation?

That's the next stage.

What a mess.

#53 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

If the lost future wages part of an Employment Tribunal award for wrongful or unfair dismissal is over £30,000 then this becomes employment income and subject to tax and NI.  Compensation for damages that are not calculated as wages are not taxable.

Edit:  A clarification that it's the component of a wages award above £30k that becomes taxable, e.g. you're awarded £50k then the first £30k is tax free but the other £20k is fully taxable.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#54 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

If the lost future wages part of an Employment Tribunal award for wrongful or unfair dismissal is over £30,000 then this becomes employment income and subject to tax and NI. Compensation for damages that are not calculated as wages are not taxable.

Edit: A clarification that it's the component of a wages award above £30k that becomes taxable, e.g. you're awarded £50k then the first £30k is tax free but the other £20k is fully taxable.

Yes, it's treated in exactly the same way as redundancy payments.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#55 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Final damages and costs were ordered yesterday.

Could be up to £400k final bill for Huddersfield.

Some of the judge's commentary on this just isn't pretty reading for the club.  It certainly looks like they've either had some dodgy advice or ignored good advice if given.

#56 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

I think the personnel changes made by the Giants last year have been very important in the good season they've had.

That said, there are ways to go about moving people on.  The aim should always be for both sides to part with dignity and on good terms.  That clearly hasn't happened here and it seems it was pretty much solely the fault of the club.

Good luck to Keith Mason, I hope he enjoys the cash.  He's been treated badly and he deserves every penny.

For the Giants, there are bigger things going on.   I honestly doubt anyone at the club is giving this a second thought at the moment.

That's me.  I'm done.

#57 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

For the Giants, there are bigger things going on.   I honestly doubt anyone at the club is giving this a second thought at the moment.

For a £400,000 bill I'd imagine its pretty high on the agenda!

Agree If you just mean the players and coach though.

#58 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

The way the club dealt with this is an utter farce, whoever made some of these decisions needs to own up and apologise IMO - if not fall on their sword.

That said, I agree with Steve - there's bigger events going on for the club and if the price to pay for our current league situation is this debacle I can't see many people thinking it wasn't worth paying

With luck, no one will remember this a week on Sunday.

#59 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

The way the club dealt with this is an utter farce, whoever made some of these decisions needs to own up and apologise IMO - if not fall on their sword.

That said, I agree with Steve - there's bigger events going on for the club and if the price to pay for our current league situation is this debacle I can't see many people thinking it wasn't worth paying

With luck, no one will remember this a week on Sunday.

I don't think falling on their sword is good enough - sitting on it maybe.

#60 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

If everything that is being reported is true,( no reason to doubt the Examiner ) Then the whole thing is a disgrace. I'm glad Mason won, How good a player he was or wasn't doesn't come in to it, If he was on the reported 95K per year Then he had already Slapped somebody at the Giants Ar** , Hopefully K Davy will be making adjustments to his staff, There have been quite a few decisions in the last 2/3 years that would indicate a fair level of incompetence, Maybe something good will come out of this.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users