Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your favourite second sport

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Bodyboarding

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,115 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I like cricket, I also like tennis.  I watch Union on TV in the winter because it's better than watching soccer.  I can't stand soccer, nothing ever seems to happen.  I used to be a bit of a Leeds Utd fan in the seventies, I saw Cruyff and Neeskins play at Elland Road, but the game seems to have lost something since those days.  I think it's that the physical challenge is no longer there like it is in both forms of Rugby.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Baseball.

#24 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

At the moment it's speedway. Rugby league is number one, but tonight I preferred watching the World Cup qualifier rather than Wigan Widnes. Some of the racing in the Grand Prix can be terrifically exciting.

The Welsh in me also says Union - does that make me a bad person?

#25 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Love watching any form of Cricket. Love playing Crown Green Bowls.

#26 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Cycling, Athletics, Boxing, Cricket.

LUNEW.jpg

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Rugby union, occasionally cricket. During the rugby season though I can't seem to find the time to watch all the rugby games available on TV (2 SL on Sky, 1 Championship plus all the NRL games on Premier Sport), so other sport doesn't really get  look in in the summer.

Can't abide football, it is very, very dull and whenever I watch it, it appears aimless. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,059 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I like most sports that don't involve horses, motors or racquets.

NB:

Horses, no: bull riding, yes.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Obviously my love of Rugby League means my favourite other sports are Ferreting,Whippet racing and Knurr and Spell!

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,059 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Does the whippet chase after the ferret?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Does the whippet chase after the ferret?

Spoken like a true Welsman.Our Northern ways must be strange to you.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#32 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

As it's the only other sport I've paid to see it'd have to be show jumping.

#33 Carisma HFC

Carisma HFC
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I don't have a specific second sport after RL.

Someone once asked me if there was any sport that I wouldn't enjoy watching and I am still trying to think of one.  Sport by definition fascinates me far more than any other medium of entertainment.

Just to be clear though I don't consider football to be a sport anymore.  Nothing more than amateur dramatics nowadays.

Q:  Is swimming good for your figure?   
A:  If swimming is good for your figure, then explain whale to me.. 

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I enjoy a wide variety of sports. There are a few that just don't do it for me (Golf, Northern Hemisphere RU, Swimming, Snooker, Horse Racing), but apart from those, I enjoy the majority.

If you sit down with an open mind, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of most sports. The Olympics is a great example of this.

I don't have satellite/cable, so what I watch is what appears on terrestrial TV and there's actually quite a lot on the average weekend. Sadly, this is the last season of MotoGP I will be able to follow live, as BT Sport have snapped that up.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

The only team sport I struggle with is basketball and even then I can caught up.  I can remember being utterly enthralled by a college game between UConn and Pitt that was decided on the last throw.  Who won I couldn't tell you or if it meant anything but it was such a compelling match.

In the past week or two I've watched (on TV or the interwebs) in addition to RL: cricket, union, soccer, hockey, netball, handball, aussie rules and baseball.  I've also caught a bit of softball but as the USA always win it doesn't have the 'competitive' element right now but the College World Series was fun.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#36 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Cricket.

A Fev Blog

#37 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Second Favourite is Ice Hockey, however I will watch most sports, depending on my mood or whether I can reach the remote or not. (I once watch a whole episode of Eastenders as the remote was on the other chair).
Although I don't subscribe to Sky Sports anymore, I will watch almost anything, exceptions being non-major golf, Women's & Scottish football (both like watching English Conference standard), the only thing I won't watch is TV fishing, if ever there was a sport NOT made for TV, it is a load of blokes, sitting quietly around a lake, staring at a float waiting for it possibly to move. Then when they do get a bite they are a an advert break.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I will watch a bit of football now and again and athletics occasionally but generally I aren't really a big sports fan.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#39 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm somebody that has always watched an array of different sports and as somebody else said I love big events. I will watch Golf during the Ryder Cup/Masters, Tennis during the majors, Cricket during the Ashes, any Olympic sport etc. I agree that as a form of entertainment nothing comes close to live sport, gigging for instance doesn't come close.

If I was pushed I'd have to say Football, I'm an Evertonian and I do follow the results even going the odd game. Also, the Euros/World Cup is my second favourite sporting event after the Olympics. You can't beat the sense of occasion and the fact that it really means something to huge swathes of the population of the world.

There are very few sports I can't enjoy, Speedway is one I've just never found exciting and there are just too many points in Basketball.

#40 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm surprised there's not more American Football fans like myself on here. You normally find a good cross over with League fans.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users