Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your favourite second sport

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm surprised there's not more American Football fans like myself on here. You normally find a good cross over with League fans.

Off season or I'm sure more would have said.

I should have added CFL to my list above.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm surprised there's not more American Football fans like myself on here. You normally find a good cross over with League fans.

Every now and then, I watch a match, but there's a problem with time difference. Either watch the Superbowl live and have you sleep patterns entirely banjaxed for the next few days. Alternatively, record it and watch, but without the extra excitement of seeing something you know is live and of the moment. American Football fans in the UK are not a large group, but they are very dedicated and passionate.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#43 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I like American Football, and get caught up in it. Had several favourite teams based on favourite individual players, but for the last ten or so years it's been the Kansas City Chiefs. The team's fortunes have mirrored the Bradford Bulls. Still, I won't change for the forseeable future.

I'm fairly ambivalent about the Rams (Leeds colours), Raiders, San Francisco and Washington ... I'm not bothered who beats them, so long as it's by plenty.

Overall, I categorise it as fantastic athletes wasted on a rubbish sport.

- 40 players, fifteen won't see any game time.

- Star players touch the ball perhaps twelve times.

- Some players aren't even allowed to touch the ball.

- It's basically a complete game of rival set-pieces, only running backs do off-the-cuff moves

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#44 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

One of the major problems last season with NFL was the games shown on the BBC were shown only on the red button, now unless I'm missing something, you can't record off the red button, so a lot of games are missed

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#45 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

The BBC will show them on I-player, I presume.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

One of the major problems last season with NFL was the games shown on the BBC were shown only on the red button, now unless I'm missing something, you can't record off the red button, so a lot of games are missed

I don't know about Sky boxes, but you can set a red button recording on FreeView. It will be Channel 301 (very occasionally 302), and you can use the EPG to find and select programmes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Can I also give an honorable mention to Bobsleigh?

John J. Jackson GB #1 driver for many years, who took GB1 to 5th place in this years World Championship, has ripped his achilles tendon, and looks doubtful to be fully fit for the new season

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#48 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Depending on how Leyton Orient are doing football and rugby league are joint first followed by boxing, oh and I'm quite into Aussie Rules at the moment even though I haven't a clue whats going on.

#49 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Darts then Football.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#50 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Ice hockey, rugby league, handball, soccer, gymnastics, volleyball, judo, hockey, darts, shorttrack speed skating, fencing, cricket, archery, weightlifting. Altogether I attended 16 sessions at London2012 Olympics and Paralympics and enjoyed everything. If the sport involves action, tension and atmosphere then I will definitely be watching.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#51 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

Rugby league.

List would be something along the lines of:

Football
RL
Cricket
American Football
Cycling
Tennis
Athletics
Basketball
Volleyball

I love darts too, but always feel a little wary about categorising it as sport. Golf and motor racing can both do one by the way.

Edited by Kenny Bania, 18 July 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#52 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

1st rugby league 2nd rugby league 7s

#53 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

1st rugby league 2nd rugby league 7s

3rd RL 9s?

#54 Vambo

Vambo
  • Coach
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Rugby League first with Rugby Union second. I don't really watch much other sports apart from the occasional NFL match when Sky have them on live on Sunday evenings.

Posted Image

#55 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hurling and Gaelic Football. Don't mind a bit of shinty, either - looks fun.

I'd watch American football if they'd just get on with the game.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#56 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

kayak surfing

speedway/grasstrack

enduro/hare and hounds

athletics

swimming in the sea , flam'head / Newquey areas 

0 user(s) are reading this topic