TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

time to close on the C/Cup?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I unfortunately missed the one game it appears was worth the while watching this weekend, Catalans V Hull, although Sheffield to their credit did try to compete.

Sadly as far as Huddersfield and their NON-committed performance went ( yet again) which I would propose is the main reason that this team is so poorly supported, as the fans there are so fed up of such inept showings from them whenever any game has a prominence around it, they just always seem to produce such rubbish as they did yesterday whenever there is something at stake.

And tonight for only the second time I can recall I have switched off a match well before it ended, this in two consecutive matches on TWO consecutive day's! 

I apologise for this rant but in all honesty this CC competition is doing far more harm than good for the Game of Rugby League and I am more certain than ever that it has by far surpassed it's sell-by date and should be taken from the shelves.

I did manage into the second half yesterday, but tonight it got to 22 nil, less than a minute a point, when I switched off, shocking is ther best that I could rate both of those matches.

I switched yesterday from the C/Cup to the NRL to watch Canterbury V Melbourne, which Canterbury won 39- nil!

But even though there was such a margin between the sides involved there was throughout a very well contested and competitive match on show, with some fabulous HARD-EARNED tries being scored, sadly that cannot be even contemplated in the CC game I saw and this is not good at all for our game, so I believe that the C/Cup should now be played for between the lower divisions with the S/L clubs confined to S/L and its G/Final, it is the only way forward for a competition that no longer , for me, is even worthwhile staging in its present form, when even two of our top sides cannot produce a decent match in the comp then something surely must be wrong with it. 

#2 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

This forum is getting surreal. Was that one posted for a bet?

#3 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Any Competition has bad games. Guess we may as well end rugby league?

#4 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

There's been a few poor games in someone's opinion? Better just call it a day for the whole sport then.

Damn you jonNgog.....

Edited by dkw, 15 July 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#5 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I also switched off the catalan hull match- the standard of rugby was abissmal , I watched the 1st half of the warrington match that I had recorded until realising it was the same old hudds, fast forwarded all the 2nd half to see what Henderson gill and des Drummond look like these days
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I apologise for this rant but in all honesty this CC competition is doing far more harm than good for the Game of Rugby League and I am more certain than ever that it has by far surpassed it's sell-by date and should be taken from the shelves.

There will be well over 70,000 people at Wembley on August 24th, plus a few million more watching on TV who will disagree with you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

I switched yesterday from the C/Cup to the NRL to watch Canterbury V Melbourne, which Canterbury won 39- nil!
But even though there was such a margin between the sides involved there was throughout a very well contested and competitive match on show, with some fabulous HARD-EARNED tries being scored,

Great, so now were have claims that even the supermens one sided blow outs are better.

#8 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

As expected the critics were back with the very same statements usually recorded IE: because of a bad game or two..........so a poor match means we should ban R/L, at least the first reply was original, and the answer to the question is no!

I was told that the Hull game was a decent one first negative that,that I have heard, however I would be loathe following what I did see to argue with your Comment BB.

I have been supporting R/L for 66 years so I do not require any comments regarding my allegience to the sport and as stated those matches were not poor they were abysmal!
Sheffielf would have performed as well as Huddersfield did, or for that matter from what I endured of the Wigan game probably as well as Widnes were doing also.

Ps while I am at it I would also like to propose for MOS: MICKEY HIGHAM who is playing his heart out no matter who he is competing against and whom is for me one of the very few bright spots of this current, pretty drab, S/L and even moreso, C/Cup season.

#9 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Great, so now were have claims that even the supermens one sided blow outs are better.

Ha ha!

#10 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

As expected the critics were back with the very same statements usually recorded IE: because of a bad game or two..........so a poor match means we should ban R/L, at least the first reply was original, and the answer to the question is no!I was told that the Hull game was a decent one first negative that,that I have heard, however I would be loathe following what I did see to argue with your Comment BB.I have been supporting R/L for 66 years so I do not require any comments regarding my allegience to the sport and as stated those matches were not poor they were abysmal!Sheffielf would have performed as well as Huddersfield did, or for that matter from what I endured of the Wigan game probably as well as Widnes were doing also.Ps while I am at it I would also like to propose for MOS: MICKEY HIGHAM who is playing his heart out no matter who he is competing against and whom is for me one of the very few bright spots of this current, pretty drab, S/L and even moreso, C/Cup season.

You forgot to include the obligatory 'RL was so much better in my day'

Edited by JonNgog, 15 July 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Maybe the dross need to work on sorting themselves out. Look at Wigan, most of the try's have come from homegrown players not expensive over the hill Aussies. We can't drag the standard down to rubbish like Cas or Widness, they should be trying to get to Wigans standards.

#12 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

This forum is getting surreal. Was that one posted for a bet?

We've had two 'once a year' efforts already tonight.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#13 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

There will be well over 70,000 people at Wembley on August 24th, plus a few million more watching on TV who will disagree with you.

So on that basis all is well I take it?

Never heard of the fact that the occasion often does not justify what is put on show John, to elaborate the fact next years 6 Nations Union non-event is probably a sell out now? Yet I would not even put the TV on to watch it let alone pay anything for a match ticket.

Hopefully it will be the two Ws contesting the final and with luck that SHOULD ensure a competitive match and which in turn could even turn out to be the one and only such one throughout this seasons entire Challenge Cup competition.
70.000 there or not John still does not verify that the comp as a whole has been wothwhile in it's entireity, or does it?

PS: DKW in answer to that YES they definitely are.

#14 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Why?

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,684 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

the status of the game has changed

I think it's good that the SL championship with its annual GF is the dominant competition -it didn't used to be.

Knock out competitions have positives-the opportunities for giant killing, these still happen, the frisson of jeapoardy, all game sleading to the final.. small clubs getting the chance of a life saving pay day with a draw against a big club. There's also and this is a recent thing the journey aspect it's amassive competition invoving clubs from right across the spectrum of the sport.

against that is the fact that after each round half the competitors have no more part to play

knock out competitions in other sports are losing their allure, so it isn't just a rugby league thing.

the challenge cup should never be allowed to become a mionor comp ort be done away with it's part of the fabric of the game-the trophy itself, especially now it's restored to its original form is the most beautiful in any sport.

it should be possible to bring back some of its attractiveness in the earlier rounds-having a look at the part of the season it occupies, perhaps seeding or grouping or whatever.

why is there such a strong vein of nihilism cousring through rugby league.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

In order to save rugby league we must end rugby league.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

By the way, the 'restructure' of SL will see those clubs in the top tier enter the competition a round later.

The RFL have slipped that one in.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I liked the Warrington game.  Just because it was a little one sided, it does not automatically make it a terrible game.  

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#19 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Why?

Watch it and the differences will stand out a mile for you.

Competitive almost always, slackers do not get a second chance , no one keeps their place on past reputation and in general the players are far more commited to entertaining their audience and providing what they have come to watch certainly upon a very much more consistent basis.

#20 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

I liked the Warrington game.  Just because it was a little one sided, it does not automatically make it a terrible game.  

No your right; Huddersfield did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users