time to close on the C/Cup?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Watch it and the differences will stand out a mile for you.

Competitive almost always, slackers do not get a second chance , no one keeps their place on past reputation and in general the players are far more commited to entertaining their audience and providing what they have come to watch certainly upon a very much more consistent basis.

yep, every single sl blow out has players not bothering,don't want to entertain, and are never competitive. all supermen games are.

Garbage.

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

It was hardly a classic cup draw - quarter finals of the cup are no guarantees for good ties. In the 8 we had two of the worst teams in SL and a team from the 2nd tier.

As for the games:

Sheffield v London - quite good, interesting game.

Catalan v Hull - lot of mistakes, but very tense, very tight and exciting.

Wire v Hudds - sure, Hudds were disappointing, and I assume I'm just biased but I thought there was some genuine class play from Wire.

Wigan v Widnes - same as above really - Wigan did a lot of good stuff.

The Quarter Finals were fine.

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Huddersfield seem to save their absolute worst for Warrington, god damn but its annoying - that said Warrington were superb on Sunday, everything stuck, every call went to them and the can score from anywhere

Anyone else in the qf and the giants would have been in the semis

#24 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

for me it was nothing to do with it been cc ties - it was just the quality on show in the hull cats game was shockingly bad, and the same old hudds showed up when it mattered, while all season posters on here have been clamouring to have these players in the eng squad for the wc, which is very worrying, if cudjoe ,yeaman and Briscoe etc get picked we could be in for one almighty slaughtering
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

So on that basis all is well I take it?

Never heard of the fact that the occasion often does not justify what is put on show John, to elaborate the fact next years 6 Nations Union non-event is probably a sell out now? Yet I would not even put the TV on to watch it let alone pay anything for a match ticket.

Hopefully it will be the two Ws contesting the final and with luck that SHOULD ensure a competitive match and which in turn could even turn out to be the one and only such one throughout this seasons entire Challenge Cup competition.
70.000 there or not John still does not verify that the comp as a whole has been wothwhile in it's entireity, or does it?

PS: DKW in answer to that YES they definitely are.

Sorry but I just can't get my head round the idea that because a few of the games in the qualifying rounds have been a bit average, the entire Challenge Cup tournament should be consigned to the scrapheap, when the final provides the sport with its biggest attendance and TV audience of the year. And it's one of the few tournaments we have with a title sponsor!

I shake my head at the capacity for some in Rugby League to hunt for negatives in absolutely everything.

Why not start to appreciate what we have and show a bit of faith in the sport for a change? We might start to make a bit of progress then.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#26 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

And people wonder why the game struggles to attract primary sponsors.

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

So on that basis all is well I take it?

Never heard of the fact that the occasion often does not justify what is put on show John, to elaborate the fact next years 6 Nations Union non-event is probably a sell out now? Yet I would not even put the TV on to watch it let alone pay anything for a match ticket.

The 6N is not a sell out for next year now.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Like I said earlier, I have watched all 4 games so far this weekend, and enjoyed 3 of them. Tonight's was poor, but hey, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

I also really enjoyed the Hudds v Leeds game last round.

The Hull KR v Saints game was a good one too.

I expect the Wire v Hull game to be a cracker, looking forward to it already.

Petero, I assume you were on praising the Challenge Cup whenevr there were a few good games?

#29 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

In order to save rugby league we must end rugby league.

No, no, no!

We must become rugby league.

#30 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just shows Knock out Rugby League is a different beast, Catalan blew their chance at home, Huddersfield's playmakers "froze" Widnes gifted Wigan the game, could be the best final for years.

#31 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Just to be clear, the only way Wood and co are killing the game is by not restructuring the fans. Because anyone who thinks we should kill a money spinner that as Drake says usually provides the games biggest attendance and most exposure is hardly doing it any favours. No doubt in two weeks we will get the usual complaints about low attendance for the semi-finals, many from those who did not attend, and the RFL being blamed for goodness knows what. The matches are reasonably priced, held in the heartlands where a vocal minority keep saying the game should focus its energies, what more can they do when we have a fanbase which instead prefers to whine and blame everyone running the game, and thinks having to travelling more than one council boundary over is an imposition.

What we need are new fans, ones who first love is the actual sport and want to go out and enjoy it and put things like structures second. We need fans who love rugby league more than they hate rugby union (you do not like the 6 Nations, well whoop-de-doo, a massively large number of people do, and yet you think your dislike despite is popularity is a reason to scrap the Challenge Cup, may god you need to get over yourself). Seriously, go on Twitter during a rugby union match are it is full of rugby league fans moaning, if you hate it so much why are you even watching? Do you really think other sports fans fans are going to see you as some voice of reason rather than taking the impression that league fans are the most self-rigteous arrogant bores of what must be a terrible sport that instead of singing its virtues you have to try and knock down everything else to make it stand out. What we need if a cup competition that gets show nationally for free. Hey, we have one, let's scrap it because the last thing rugby league needs is money or attracting new fans. There are internationals in another sport coming this autumn, we can instead just embarrass the game by pathetically moaning about that. If only those who come on here to say they will never watch the British game gain for this or that reason did actually ###### off we would be left with something great to build on and sell to sponsors. Instead the best we can offer someone is to tie their brand into a pit of despair and a guarantee that no matter what they do they will be viciously attacked for it.

Rugby league does not need to get rid of the Challenge Cup, it needs to get rid of a vocal section of supposed-fans. Just to be clear, like.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Plenty of people slag RL off on twitter during games.
Although I do agree with the rest, just so it's clear.

Edited by Johnoco, 16 July 2013 - 12:00 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#33 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

If you don't understand the drama, romance, poetry, tradition, greatness, joy and utter exuberance of the Cup then I feel sorry for you if you claim to be a Rugby League fan.
I rather feel you have missed the point. I know the world has changed and Money is God. But. Er ...it's the Cup. Have you been? Do you know how much it has mattered for years? No. You don't get it, do you? No matter. The rest of us do. Go to Wembley. Stay in London. Soak it in.
Or go elsewhere. I despair sometimes reading what strikes me as nonsense from self-declared experts.

Edited by R J Wagsmith, 16 July 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#34 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

I like the restructuring the fans concept JTBC - where do I apply for a license ? I'm sure I would pass the criteria with flying colours ;)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

Statues of greats outside wembley, says move on nothing to see.... Micky Higham as MOS, interesting comment

#36 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

The CC moving to August has been a disaster,August bank holiday weekend is a very bad time to hold it not jut for fans but also for potential sponsors and corporate. The only way it will have any chance or returning to its former glory is by moving it back to May. CM

It moved in 2005, right? So we have had eight August CC finals. Crowds being as follows:

2005 - 74213 (Millenium Stadium)

2006 - 65187 (Twickenham - not sure of capacity at that time)

2007 - 84241

2008 - 82821

2009 - 76560

2010 - 85217

2011 - 78482

2012 - 79180

Average - 78237

The previous eight were attended as follows:

2004 - 79794 (Millenium Stadium)

2003 - 71212 (Millenium Stadium)

2002 - 62140 (Murrayfield)

2001 - 68250 (Twickenham)

2000 - 67247 (Murrayfield)

1999 - 73242

1998 - 60669

1997 - 78022

Average - 70072

Now, I know this is a bit flawed because Murrayfield is smaller than Wembley, and I think Twickenham was at that time (together with the fact that maybe people who were happy to go to london were, for whatever reason not happy to go to Wales or Scotland), but still, these numbers don't agree with your hypothesis that fans don't want it on August Bank Holiday.

Incidentally, I am not as old as some of you biddies in here, but I can't remember it ever being played in May... Was it not played in April?

As for the sponsors, I am not sure of the funding, but would be interested to hear why you came to this conclusion.

#37 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

May is better than August because it means the game appearing on terrestrial TV at the start of the season, reminding casual / new fans that the season has in fact started.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Plenty of people slag RL off on twitter during games.
Although I do agree with the rest, just so it's clear.

And here's chuckles Chris Irvine's take: "Well done Wigan, but can't remember a more dismal set of Challenge Cup quarter-finals #rugbyleague"

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

And here's chuckles Chris Irvine's take: "Well done Wigan, but can't remember a more dismal set of Challenge Cup quarter-finals #rugbyleague"

Ah Chris"Why can't people be more positive about rugby league?" Irvine at his best

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,147 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

Restructuring fans? What a great idea!
Maybe league express could run an official fans membership scheme on behalf of the RFL, part paid by RFL and a modestmembership fee. Fans would sign an oath of allegiance and in return get some benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users