Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

time to close on the C/Cup?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

May is better than August because it means the game appearing on terrestrial TV at the start of the season, reminding casual / new fans that the season has in fact started.

Aren't cup finals traditionally at the end of a season? Maybe the casual viewer will assume that the season has just finished - after all, if they don't even know when the season is, they might think that rugby is a winter sport. And the beeb have no obligation to mention SL.

#42 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

End of April and early may to answer above poster.

August for me is a perfect fit now the season starts in February

#43 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm such a newbie - when was the last early may final?

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Okay, so this year there weren't any absolute classics in the quarter-finals. What of it? I doubt Football fans call for the axing of the Champions' League after just one round of dreary matches. A&E in the Rugby League heartlands must be packed with people seeking treatment for excessively-jerked knees.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Maybe the dross need to work on sorting themselves out. Look at Wigan, most of the try's have come from homegrown players not expensive over the hill Aussies. We can't drag the standard down to rubbish like Cas or Widness, they should be trying to get to Wigans standards.

pardon!!!! i think my friend you will find that WIDNES (note only 1 S) are making strides to be more competetive on the pitch by signing better quality players, still we could have signed the world famous vickery and achurch instead.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#46 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'm such a newbie - when was the last early may final?

Around 2002/3/4 time

2005 moved to August if my memory is correct, hull fans will confirm :P

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

May is better than August because it means the game appearing on terrestrial TV at the start of the season, reminding casual / new fans that the season has in fact started.

Why is it better, what is that based on?

I'd argue that end of August is perfect and gives the game a publicity boost just in times for the playoffs and Grand Final, which the BBC also has highlights of.

Let's also not forget that the first televised game is back in April anyway.

#48 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

And here's chuckles Chris Irvine's take: "Well done Wigan, but can't remember a more dismal set of Challenge Cup quarter-finals #rugbyleague"

Seriously?? What an ######...

#49 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well this thread is just delicious.

Posted Image

#50 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

i've been championing this for a long time, get rid of the Challenge Cup and play the grand final at Wembley. 

#51 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Around 2002/3/4 time

2005 moved to August if my memory is correct, hull fans will confirm :P

You're correct :) Our victory over Wigan in 2004 was the last time it was played in May, it was moved to August the following year.

I personally preferred it in May because I think it's just too close to the start of the playoffs now which (in my opinion) means it can take the backseat a bit too quickly. I can see why August appeals to people though. 

#52 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

well despite my team not being involved , i enjoyed the games 

maybe not classics but you dont get them every week anyway , the cats V hull game was error strewn but surely you had to put a lot of that down to the conditions and i thought all the players gave their all

huddersfield froze against warrington but wire played some good stuff 

even wigan game last night was enjoyable despite it being one sided - thats the nature of a knock out comp

#53 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

well despite my team not being involved , i enjoyed the games 
maybe not classics but you dont get them every week anyway , the cats V hull game was error strewn but surely you had to put a lot of that down to the conditions and i thought all the players gave their all
huddersfield froze against warrington but wire played some good stuff 
even wigan game last night was enjoyable despite it being one sided - thats the nature of a knock out comp

Good post.

#54 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Indeed this thread is magic. And so is this blog, it's the next logical step surely......

http://www.loverugby...gby-league.html

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Indeed this thread is magic. And so is this blog, it's the next logical step surely......

http://www.loverugby...gby-league.html

Good blog.

#56 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

End of April and early may to answer above poster.

August for me is a perfect fit now the season starts in February

for me and the crowd that normally goes too
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#57 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

I don't think the final being at the end of August is any problem, it's just that the preceding rounds can by anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months apart. It's no way to build momentum in the competition. Initially this was because the BBC only wanted it on weekends where they had no other major live sport clashing - nowadays that is practically every weekend so I think the early rounds should be a bit closer together. This year nearly had it right apart from the gap between the last round and the quarters.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#58 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

you could always put the games up to the SF within a short space of time at the start of the season and have the final at the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. If that's a no no because of the play off finals at Wembley then have it the weekend before. Move the Magic Weekend to August Bank Holiday weekend.

Having the CC games one after another would build a sense of momentum and excitement to a club's cup run. It'd also possibly lead to higher tv ratings - if you've got games on 4 consecutive weekends on BBC you attract and possibly keep viewers.

I'd also like to persuade clubs of the benefits of letting in ST holders as part of their deal - obviously this would need majority support as it would cut out little paydays for smaller away teams. But the crowds would be back, there'd be more of a buzz which would obviously attract more non ST holders to go along etc etc

#59 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

i've been championing this for a long time, get rid of the Challenge Cup and play the grand final at Wembley. 

In a sport that is as strapped for cash as ours, how could it ever make sense to do that? It would lose Rugby League a small fortune in revenue, not just in the lost TV deal (and free to air terrestrial exposure) and sponsorship associated with the Challenge Cup, but in basic bread and butter ticket sales alone.

Last year the Challenge Cup final pulled in a crowd of 79,180. The SL Grand Final pulled in 70,676. That's almost 150,000 tickets sold between them. If you got rid of one and moved the other, you'd end up with one hopefully (but not guaranteed) 70,000 plus crowd per season instead of the current two that we get.

I sit here shaking my head at times.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#60 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

In a sport that is as strapped for cash as ours, how could it ever make sense to do that? It would lose Rugby League a small fortune in revenue, not just in the lost TV deal (and free to air terrestrial exposure) and sponsorship associated with the Challenge Cup, but in basic bread and butter ticket sales alone.

Last year the Challenge Cup final pulled in a crowd of 79,180. The SL Grand Final pulled in 70,676. That's almost 150,000 tickets sold between them. If you got rid of one and moved the other, you'd end up with one hopefully (but not guaranteed) 70,000 plus crowd per season instead of the current two that we get.

I sit here shaking my head at times.

Great post and I hope people take note.

With Super League and The World Cup having no sponsors I do wonder if marketing / research companies look at forums for inspiration!!!