Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

time to close on the C/Cup?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Great post and I hope people take note.

With Super League and The World Cup having no sponsors I do wonder if marketing / research companies look at forums for inspiration!!!

That's probably why they have no title sponsors,the amount of doom-mongering on here is staggering,if the people who "allegedly" love the game can't portray it in a positive light,what chance do they have.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#62 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's probably why they have no title sponsors,the amount of doom-mongering on here is staggering,if the people who "allegedly" love the game can't portray it in a positive light,what chance do they have.

10000000000000000% agree.

#63 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I honestly don't think that the world cup should have a title sponsor. Would that not just make it sound naff? The John Smiths World cup...

#64 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I honestly don't think that the world cup should have a title sponsor. Would that not just make it sound naff? The John Smiths World cup...

True but RL needs all the coverage it can get vs the likes of soccer and ru,maybe having a title sponsor would increase that coverage.

#65 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Can you imagine the field day that the unionites would have with that? It's a fine line. I suppose getting some sponsors that could use the fact that they are sponsoring the WC (and so essential advertise the WC by putting it in their adverts) might help. Red bull? Maximuscle (ok, limited crowd)? Adidas (dreaming a bit now...)

#66 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Can you imagine the field day that the unionites would have with that? It's a fine line. I suppose getting some sponsors that could use the fact that they are sponsoring the WC (and so essential advertise the WC by putting it in their adverts) might help. Red bull? Maximuscle (ok, limited crowd)? Adidas (dreaming a bit now...)

Agree,it is a fine line and I know SL has "associate" (for want of a better word) sponsors and the WC does but they don't really seem to be using RL as part of their advertising.

#67 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,099 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

In a sport that is as strapped for cash as ours, how could it ever make sense to do that? It would lose Rugby League a small fortune in revenue, not just in the lost TV deal (and free to air terrestrial exposure) and sponsorship associated with the Challenge Cup, but in basic bread and butter ticket sales alone.

Last year the Challenge Cup final pulled in a crowd of 79,180. The SL Grand Final pulled in 70,676. That's almost 150,000 tickets sold between them. If you got rid of one and moved the other, you'd end up with one hopefully (but not guaranteed) 70,000 plus crowd per season instead of the current two that we get.

I sit here shaking my head at times.

I'd expect the average ticket price to be around £35-40 per person for Wembley, meaning that people want to turn away £3m in ticket income in one feel swoop.

Add in earlier rounds, TV rights, sponsorship and just out and out publicity on the BBC and surely anybody can see that the Challenge Cup is extremely valuable to the game.

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,099 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Agree,it is a fine line and I know SL has "associate" (for want of a better word) sponsors and the WC does but they don't really seem to be using RL as part of their advertising.

I'd go with the partner approach tbh.

Irn Bru, Heinz, Gillette, Foxybingo etc do carry out promotions, but unfotunately they seem to be around the current RL areas and markets rather than enabling us to target their markets.

One thing that is extremely frustrating about the WC is the lack of partners - ideally we would have all sorts of partners involved in helping us flog tickets - as it is the RFL are having to do all the work.

#69 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

i've been championing this for a long time, get rid of the Challenge Cup and play the grand final at Wembley.

This is quite the most ridiculous remark I have read on this forum.
Or am I missing something? Is it a post modern joke?
I fear not. Please Mr. Merged, go away.

#70 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think we should go straight to semi finals, consisting of two teams from Yorkshire and two from what was historically Lancashire. It's what the RFL (and some fans on here) would want.

Edited by Southern Softie, 16 July 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#71 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

Just to be clear, not even the Halifax Centenary World Cup (the bank not the blue sox) or the Lincoln World Cup (the financial group not the yella bellies)?

#72 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Especially that. Surely at the very least it'd have to be a large multinational. But even then I think it's a total no no

#73 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Sorry but I just can't get my head round the idea that because a few of the games in the qualifying rounds have been a bit average, the entire Challenge Cup tournament should be consigned to the scrapheap, when the final provides the sport with its biggest attendance and TV audience of the year. And it's one of the few tournaments we have with a title sponsor!

I shake my head at the capacity for some in Rugby League to hunt for negatives in absolutely everything.

Why not start to appreciate what we have and show a bit of faith in the sport for a change? We might start to make a bit of progress then.

I'm in complete agreement. I love the cup, and I've seen my side in one semi final in the last thirty odd years.

It's rather like arguing that we should shut the forum down because of a few idiotic threads.... Like this one.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 16 July 2013 - 06:16 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#74 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

It was hardly a classic cup draw - quarter finals of the cup are no guarantees for good ties. In the 8 we had two of the worst teams in SL and a team from the 2nd tier.

As for the games:

Sheffield v London - quite good, interesting game.

Catalan v Hull - lot of mistakes, but very tense, very tight and exciting.

Wire v Hudds - sure, Hudds were disappointing, and I assume I'm just biased but I thought there was some genuine class play from Wire.

Wigan v Widnes - same as above really - Wigan did a lot of good stuff.

The Quarter Finals were fine.

You surprise me Dave.

I credited you with a little bit more honesty than that. Sorry for this criticism as I more often than not find your comments logical and plausable but if as you are willing to, as it seems, accept, what was in almost each of those three matches that I indulged in to some degree a measure of the game of R/L at possibly it's most mediocre then I find that difficult to swallow.

As you are a Warrington fan I can see that you would overlook the negatives in the game in order to praise your own favourites, but the ineffectualness of the Huddersfield defence negated any class play that was produced from Warrington, it was just too easy and that I find hard to accept in the essence of watching a decent, let alone good match.

#75 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,099 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

You surprise me Dave.
I credited you with a little bit more honesty than that. Sorry for this criticism as I more often than not find your comments logical and plausable but if as you are willing to, as it seems, accept, what was in almost each of those three matches that I indulged in to some degree a measure of the game of R/L at possibly it's most mediocre then I find that difficult to swallow.

As you are a Warrington fan I can see that you would overlook the negatives in the game in order to praise your own favourites, but the ineffectualness of the Huddersfield defence negated any class play that was produced from Warrington, it was just too easy and that I find hard to accept in the essence of watching a decent, let alone good match.

just because I dont share your view doesnt mean I am being dishonest.

I am of the opinion that even a poor rl game is better than most sports. Maybe I have low standards but three of the games kept me interested, I lost interest in Wigan's game.

I'm not overly interested in comparisons with the NRL. I can enjoy pretty much every game for different reasons.

It's a bit like refusing to enjoy beans on toast because it's not fillet steak.

#76 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorry but I just can't get my head round the idea that because a few of the games in the qualifying rounds have been a bit average, the entire Challenge Cup tournament should be consigned to the scrapheap, when the final provides the sport with its biggest attendance and TV audience of the year. And it's one of the few tournaments we have with a title sponsor!

I shake my head at the capacity for some in Rugby League to hunt for negatives in absolutely everything.

Why not start to appreciate what we have and show a bit of faith in the sport for a change? We might start to make a bit of progress then.

Those two final sentences are what I referred to as, the same old, same old previously. I am not a negative person over R/L at all, but I am one that will spell out what I see in front of me and as I saw it over this weekend that was not good sport never mind good R/L. 

I do not refer to these games alone when criticising the C/Cup but over at least the past three or more seasons of that comp. The final apart and, in all honesty the ones within the last 4 or 5 of those that are memorable for the expected showpiece that would be expected from any final generally has hardly stuck in the memory either. 

No even as you say concerning Wembley and the aura it can generate this C/Cup comp has produced very few thrilling games within its entirety and it is becoming one of those must attend events rather than what in the past almost always had the previous build up of close competitive matches to recall from the earlier rounds, today , well tell me of one, if you can John.

With luck we should get a decent final if Wigan and Warrington contest it, if the previous games they have played so far in S/L this season are anything to go by, but god forbid if the miracle occurs that London beat Wigan and hull turn over Warrington, I can assure you that will not yet again produce anything like the same spectacle and I suspect that you too know it.  

#77 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,788 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Our performance in the first hour against Huddersfield hit the same levels as in the Wigan game and, I would suggest, in the last 20 minutes against Leeds where we completed dominated despite Leeds' defence stopping us scoring. Not flashy stuff by any means, but big props hitting the ball hard up the middle, two very skilful hookers keeping the tempo high and two quality second-rows punching holes out wide.

We have no reason to apologise for the fact the Huddersfield pack had no answer.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#78 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

If Warrington and Wigan do make the final,what a final that would be? How can anyone suggest such games be removed from the RL calendar?

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#79 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

but god forbid if the miracle occurs that London beat Wigan and hull turn over Warrington, I can assure you that will not yet again produce anything like the same spectacle and I suspect that you too know it.

Just to be clear, London 18 Hull FC 18. Some equaled it, but no match has been closer in Super League this season.

#80 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Poor old Chris Irvine lambasted for daring to tell it as he saw it!!!

The party line must be followed at all costs.........what, so whatever you do never speak your mind and alway's follow the party line.

Sorry but no, I believe that the C/Cup will do more harm than good if continued with in its present form. I accept the cash argument that is irrefutable, but, the ###### that is involved within the games shown on terrestrial TV will over time put more would be new supporters off the game rather than the opposite occuring, in my opinion and I do not want to see that happen to R/L, so I maintain that the maneer this competition is structured requires some drstic change as to be frank, these were the worst quarter finals that I have watched in two thirds of s century watching the CC, Chris Irvine obviously feels the same.