• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

The only DODGY STATS are the crowd figures from THE RFL:((((

we must only assume they were dodgy then too.

#102 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

There will be well over 70,000 people at Wembley on August 24th, plus a few million more watching on TV who will disagree with you.

The Challenge Cup got a lot more coverage some time ago than it does down under nowadays.

Back in the eighties when there were star Aussie players in either side it was a big event (for League die hards)

Edited by AndyCapp, 20 July 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#103 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

The only DODGY STATS are the crowd figures from THE RFL:((((

I hope you have a good lawyer making accusations like that [/irony]

#104 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Double post, sorry

Edited by SE4Wire, 20 July 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#105 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am just watching Roosters v Cronulla on PS. Roosters are hammering them 22-0 after 20 minutes. Roosters playing really well and Cronulla not getting a sniff. I like it, it's entertaining but let's not pretend one sided games don't happen in RL at all levels.
So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

#106 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Petero, either you don't really enjoy RL, or your memory is failing you.

I defy anyone to say they didn't enjoy these Cup TV games:

2013:

Leeds v Hudds

Hull KR v Saints

2012:

Widnes v Saints (finishes 38v40)

Featherstone v Castleford

Featherstone v Wigan

Wigan v Saints

Catalan v Warrington

Leeds v Wigan

2011:

Wigan v Leeds

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Leeds (extra time Semi Final)

Warrington v Wigan

Hull v Leeds

These are just from looking at a quick list of fixtures on Wikipedia - the Challenge Cup has provided some brilliant entertainment over the last few years - did you watch any of the above games?

All of them. Yes I will concede there were some of those well worth watching although out of any 14 chosen matches over 3 seasons there really ought to be, even I have not denigrated the game to that effect Dave, yet! 

As for not liking R/L then you should ask anyone that know's me the answer on that, I do not watch participate or even like any other sport, having attended my first match in 1946 and been a lifelong devotee since.  

But, I am disillusioned these days with a lot of the S/L and its C/Cup as to the quality not being seen in too many games, why I cannot put a finger upon in all honesty but ( and I am far from alone in this) I find over the last two or more seasons that far too many games have a tedium about them and that the quality of say 6 or 7 seasons ago is not even being matched regularly enough.

Wigan, Warrington, Leeds are realistically the only sides with any hope of contesting the prizes, Huddersfield again almost threatened to break into that club but after a showing V Leeds in the CC, returned again to the pack at the HJ and in all probability showed how little, when it comes to it, they are really able to compete, yet again. 

#107 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Its a good job the internet wasn't around when Wigan won 8 on the bounce.

Posted Image

#108 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I am just watching Roosters v Cronulla on PS. Roosters are hammering them 22-0 after 20 minutes. Roosters playing really well and Cronulla not getting a sniff. I like it, it's entertaining but let's not pretend one sided games don't happen in RL at all levels.
So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I note how you fail to mention that Cronulla are missing Gallen, Lewis, Robson, Ryan, Graham a first choice centre and another winger, That is two origin players of outstanding quality, the stand-in Captain their scrum-half and threequarters of their threequarter line.

All of whom would have been playing as first choice selections, it could transpire that could have some effect on their performance when, faced with debatably the best side presently in the NRL, just a thought.  :onthequiet:

#109 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

:D  :D

#110 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Sorry for not being an expert on the Cronnula squad. I thought they could all put out 3 or 4 teams anyway.

#111 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

It's still not around in Wigan.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#112 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

All of them. Yes I will concede there were some of those well worth watching although out of any 14 chosen matches over 3 seasons there really ought to be, even I have not denigrated the game to that effect Dave, yet!

As for not liking R/L then you should ask anyone that know's me the answer on that, I do not watch participate or even like any other sport, having attended my first match in 1946 and been a lifelong devotee since.

But, I am disillusioned these days with a lot of the S/L and its C/Cup as to the quality not being seen in too many games, why I cannot put a finger upon in all honesty but ( and I am far from alone in this) I find over the last two or more seasons that far too many games have a tedium about them and that the quality of say 6 or 7 seasons ago is not even being matched regularly enough.

Wigan, Warrington, Leeds are realistically the only sides with any hope of contesting the prizes, Huddersfield again almost threatened to break into that club but after a showing V Leeds in the CC, returned again to the pack at the HJ and in all probability showed how little, when it comes to it, they are really able to compete, yet again.

imho all of those i listed were very enjoyable games and were the bulk of tv games from the last three seasons.

You stated at the start that it was this period which has convinced you it is a waste of time. I ask how can that be when it has served up games like those listed?

#113 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I think *something* probably needs to be done to sort out the earlier rounds (a consistent and coherent scheduling of the rounds would help) but the final remains one of the jewels in our crown. 80k plus fans descending on London for a day out - it's one of the most powerful bits of PR the game has.

#114 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

SL clubs will enter a round later in the brave new world of 12 team SL
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#115 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Sorry for not being an expert on the Cronnula squad. I thought they could all put out 3 or 4 teams anyway.

C'mon Johnoco, your better than that, same old same old, geddit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users