Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mid Season Tour for England?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:43 AM

Just read that Luke Dorn's article about the potential opportunity for England to go on a 3 week tour to the southern hemisphere during SoO time.

Seems a suggestion worth considering. Especially if the NRL opt to stage SoO on 3 consecutive weekends and halt playing league games during that time This would open up a window of opportunity for England to play 3 'tests'. If this was done bi-annually one-off tests could be for example against PNG, NZ and Fiji in year 1 then play Samoa, Tonga and Cook Islands in year 3 and so on.

The positives:

1. The players get the opportunity to travel and represent England
2. We create meaningful test matches to replace the Exiles game
3. Acts as a team bonding trip giving the coach 3 solid weeks with the team
4. Lets English players in the NRL take part
5. Give pacific countries the opportunity to play against england at home to increase their profile
6. The tour is an opportunity for players to push their claims for end of season tournaments

But no doubt members on here will cry out 'what about the cost' and 'how will it affect our seaon'

Cost - i'm not a travel agent but would 100k cover it? The travel costs will be reduced with the NRL contingent already over there. Aren't there hotels in those places that do Groupon vouchers?

How would it affect SL? This is the issue. What price are we prepared to pay to give the national team every opportunity to thrive. I am sure we could be creative with this.

What do peope think?

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

nope...never going to happen...and im on about origin being played over 3 weekends...

the england thing is just as ridiculous

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

nope...never going to happen...and im on about origin being played over 3 weekends...

the england thing is just as ridiculous

The Origin thing comes up every year but soon gets forgotten about.

I'd agree with you on the idea of England touring mid season.

#4 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

The origin issue does come up every year but change may be forthcoming.

Don't know if you get the Aussie RL programs such as Sterlo, matty Johns or RL 360 but all have acknowledged that the ARU have been very astute in playing the British Lions v Australia games on consecutive weekends to build up the anticipation of the decider and that the NRL decision makers should consider discussing possible changes.

If they do change the SoO format why is the proposal by Luke Dorn ridiculous? Haven't you heard of aeroplanes?

How would you improve the gelling of the england team especially when probably half the squad may be playing in the NRL in 2/3 years time and sat twiddling their thumbs if SoO is played on consecutive week?

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

I really like the idea of England (GB even) touring mid-season.  If there was some way of rigging it so the tour took place after the initial 2x12 section but before the 3x8 bit it would provide a natural pause during the season before the business end.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think this one has legs, there seems to be general dismay down under as to the effect SoO is having on the nrl games (and attendances) either side of them. It'd be fantastic to have them played over a 3 week period with it being an international fixture window for everyone else. England v New Zealand,PNG v Fiji,Samoa v Tonga,Wales v France etc etc. As pointed out by Martin Sadler the other week a 3 game series every year against NZ would do wonders for our game and regular international competition would do wonders for everyone elses.

A possible fly in the ointment is if they press on with the restructuring option that sees our SL clubs play a ridiculous 30 games before the playoffs begin. If the shortsighted amongst our leaders go down that route then you can forget crowbarring another 3 games in for our elite players.

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Couple it with a NZ tour over here in the alternate years and I'll be happy

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I really like the idea of England (GB even) touring mid-season.  If there was some way of rigging it so the tour took place after the initial 2x12 section but before the 3x8 bit it would provide a natural pause during the season before the business end.

Could you imagine if Super League, The RLIF and The NRL could all get together and discuss how options like this could grow the whole professional game.

On the whole I like the idea of these tours suggested for England if this was to happen

#9 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Why not alternate it every year so that one year England comes to play here and then he second year at home. Having France play three mid year tests would be great too. Having New Zealand, France, Samoa, Fiji, tonga, Papua New Guinea, England and Cook Islands playing tests against each other on a yearly basis would be great.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I don't see an issue with touring mid-season, other sports do it, and whilst we are not other sports, they all have far more successful international games because they do things like this.

The reality is that we have a blank canvas at any stage, we can pretty much do whatever we want.

We can shuffle our season to start and finish when we want, we can create gaps for tours, or we can simply allow larger squads which mean that clubs have to cope without 5 or 6 players for a month.

If people wanted a more credible and regular international game, we could have it.

#11 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I created a post a few weeks ago suggesting this, that a global international window would work wonders for the international game. It would also open availability of heritage players for Italy and the Celtic nations, strengthening their teams and as a result the international program, if players like James Mcmanus and Peter Wallace are available year round for Scotland then this can only be a massive bonus for the international game,

#12 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I suggested also for the same reason, this could do with happening for the development of teh international game

#13 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

100% like this idea and i'd be booking my plane tickets for a SOO and GBvNZ test match double. I think it does have legs as the NRL club crowds are suffering a bit as Origin becomes an ever bigger event.

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#14 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm also 100% behind this idea and thought Luke Dorn's article was very interesting. I think the main issues against it are (1) NRL clubs are actually trying to reduce the amount of games for their players so may not be happy for them to be released for international matches (2) Can we find a gap in the calender to suit both competition ESL/NRL (3) Money.

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't see an issue with touring mid-season, other sports do it, and whilst we are not other sports, they all have far more successful international games because they do things like this.

The reality is that we have a blank canvas at any stage, we can pretty much do whatever we want.

We can shuffle our season to start and finish when we want, we can create gaps for tours, or we can simply allow larger squads which mean that clubs have to cope without 5 or 6 players for a month.

If people wanted a more credible and regular international game, we could have it.

But would the SL clubs want it? I'd like to see as many Internationals played as possible, but if you consider that the SL clubs are looking at all clubs playing possibly a 30 week league season, then play offs and Cup matches on top of it, to organise a mid season tour clubs would see at least another 3 weeks being inserted into the calendar, or the clubs would have to agree to release players.

The first option of expanding the season even further is unlikely, as thrown in a WCC, end of season internationals or a World Cup, and you'd have players barely getting a break. As for releasing players, well the reason for the disquiet down under over Origin is the effect it has on NRL matches. Too many games are disrupted as the star players are missing. They have the squads to cope, but supporters and the TV viewers want to see the big name players. Crowds are down as are viewing figures. Can you imagine what SL clubs would say if they had to play 3 or more weeks without their international players?

Shorten the league season and you'd be able to do this sort of thing, and again I'd agree whole heartedly that it's exactly the sort of thing we should be doing. But even now in a World Cup year, the RFL and the clubs are busily concocting new formulas for how to reorganise the leagues, and not one of them mentions playing less matches.

#16 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Unless I'm mistaken I think you've got this wrong - English cricket and RU host tours mid-season, but do not actually tour themselves. Any tours tend to take place during the tourists' respective off-seasons. This is a problem with having northern and southern hemisphere RL seasons that run concurrently.

I would have thought some expanded European competition would be feasible mid-season, but wouldn't be sure about the logistics/feasibility of a 3-week tour across the globe at this stage of the year.

#17 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

if the will is there then it's perfectly possible to have an international slap bang in the middle of the season. Is there the will though? I think most of us can see it'd be good for the game as a whole but unfortunately that's not how things are done.

Fingers crossed that the Aussies do suspend their season for a condensed SoO and that simultaneously the SL/RFL dont go nuts and opt to play 30+ games per season. If these two wishes come off then you never know....

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Unless I'm mistaken I think you've got this wrong - English cricket and RU host tours mid-season, but do not actually tour themselves. Any tours tend to take place during the tourists' respective off-seasons. This is a problem with having northern and southern hemisphere RL seasons that run concurrently.

I would have thought some expanded European competition would be feasible mid-season, but wouldn't be sure about the logistics/feasibility of a 3-week tour across the globe at this stage of the year.

Yes - you are quite right. What I was referring to though was the fact that International campaigns take place during club seasons often meaning that a club will have players unavailable for weeks and weeks. A top RU player in the Aviva Premiership may miss 8 weeks if they get picked for all 6N games and Autumn internationals. Can you imagine the uproar of that happened in RL? In Cricket some counties hardly see their players.

Whilst I wouldn't want us to go completely OTT, I do think it is possible to go away for 5-6 weeks in April/May and have the players back for the key stages of the season.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

But would the SL clubs want it? I'd like to see as many Internationals played as possible, but if you consider that the SL clubs are looking at all clubs playing possibly a 30 week league season, then play offs and Cup matches on top of it, to organise a mid season tour clubs would see at least another 3 weeks being inserted into the calendar, or the clubs would have to agree to release players.

The first option of expanding the season even further is unlikely, as thrown in a WCC, end of season internationals or a World Cup, and you'd have players barely getting a break. As for releasing players, well the reason for the disquiet down under over Origin is the effect it has on NRL matches. Too many games are disrupted as the star players are missing. They have the squads to cope, but supporters and the TV viewers want to see the big name players. Crowds are down as are viewing figures. Can you imagine what SL clubs would say if they had to play 3 or more weeks without their international players?

Shorten the league season and you'd be able to do this sort of thing, and again I'd agree whole heartedly that it's exactly the sort of thing we should be doing. But even now in a World Cup year, the RFL and the clubs are busily concocting new formulas for how to reorganise the leagues, and not one of them mentions playing less matches.

No, they won;t want it - my point refers to the fact that it is internal influences which stop this kind of thing happening. 

I'm regularly baffled by the lack of credibility for the RL International game.

#20 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yes - you are quite right. What I was referring to though was the fact that International campaigns take place during club seasons often meaning that a club will have players unavailable for weeks and weeks. A top RU player in the Aviva Premiership may miss 8 weeks if they get picked for all 6N games and Autumn internationals. Can you imagine the uproar of that happened in RL? In Cricket some counties hardly see their players.

Whilst I wouldn't want us to go completely OTT, I do think it is possible to go away for 5-6 weeks in April/May and have the players back for the key stages of the season.

Ah - apologies for misunderstanding. Yes I agree that it would be nice if clubs could cope without some players for a few weeks. Unfortunately I also agree with your later point about clubs not likely to agree to it :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users