TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Mid Season Tour for England?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

But would the SL clubs want it? I'd like to see as many Internationals played as possible, but if you consider that the SL clubs are looking at all clubs playing possibly a 30 week league season, then play offs and Cup matches on top of it, to organise a mid season tour clubs would see at least another 3 weeks being inserted into the calendar, or the clubs would have to agree to release players.

Here lies another issue with the proposed league structures currently in debate. It looks likely that more games will take place between the club sides increasing the length of the season and removing the potential for other concepts to be implemented. Disappointing from the clubs and RFL.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#22 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Here lies another issue with the proposed league structures currently in debate. It looks likely that more games will take place between the club sides increasing the length of the season and removing the potential for other concepts to be implemented. Disappointing from the clubs and RFL.

But looking at it from the clubs point of view, it's the club competitions that make the money. The big money deal with Sky is for SL. If the International game brought more money into the game, and the RFL were able to hand out more money to the clubs, it would gain more credibility with the clubs (to follow on from Dave's earlier point). And as we know, it's the clubs that hold the real power here and down under. The problem is that under the current set up, the international game isn't in a position to bring in significant amounts of money to change that view.

#23 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

But looking at it from the clubs point of view, it's the club competitions that make the money. The big money deal with Sky is for SL. If the International game brought more money into the game, and the RFL were able to hand out more money to the clubs, it would gain more credibility with the clubs (to follow on from Dave's earlier point). And as we know, it's the clubs that hold the real power here and down under. The problem is that under the current set up, the international game isn't in a position to bring in significant amounts of money to change that view.

It's one of the reasons why the RLWC is so important this year. The clubs short-term thinking and lack of wider awareness outside of their own communities is one of the reasons why the commerical appeal of the game is so poor. If we can afford to hand out £2m each year to the Championship clubs in the new proposed structure, we can afford to start looking at the middle to long terms effects we want to achieve in order to improve the whole game.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ah - apologies for misunderstanding. Yes I agree that it would be nice if clubs could cope without some players for a few weeks. Unfortunately I also agree with your later point about clubs not likely to agree to it :(

i made my point poorly and you clarified my point about tours - i actually thought some tours did happen in season, i may have been getting mixed up with the ruwc - from memory the season continues.

#25 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Just done a quick calculation, and the maximum number of games will likely be the same as they play currently, regardless of which option they end up going with. Just a shame there isn't the scope for one or two extra blank weekends to fit in some international games.

#26 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think the ARLC will implement change to the SoO calendar next year, it wouldn't take to much change to do it.

I think they would go for 3 consecutive Saturdays whilst suspending the NRL, much as the ARU did with this years Lions tour.  The league season wouldn't really be affected other than getting rid of the 2 bye weekends that each club gets.

The major stumbling point appears to be that Fox would have no live RL to show over this period.  As has been mentioned though there is a great opportunity for the international game to have a clear 3 week window similar to RU's Autumn international programme.  Aussie commentators are suggesting an annual pacific nations tournament, a NZ state of origin, QLD cup v NSW cup series, NSW City v Country, QLD U20's v NSW U20's etc etc.  There would be plenty to keep Fox occupied.

On this side of the globe we could arrange our own "rep window" with the home nations tournament, host a U20's World Cup, the list is endless.

Obviously this could only be achieved with the co-operation of the ARLC, the RFL and RLIF.  If the game as a whole accepts that it may take a few seasons to establish and become profitable this could be a real success story for our game!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#27 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

Just done a quick calculation, and the maximum number of games will likely be the same as they play currently, regardless of which option they end up going with. Just a shame there isn't the scope for one or two extra blank weekends to fit in some international games.

This year the Exiles game was played on a stand alone weekend, so you would have one week free. The proposed 12x12x8 format gives an odd number of games in the last third of the season. So just have 6 games (3home & 3 away games) then you free up a second weekend. Surely a third weekend could be found.

The rescheduling of SoO could be the catalyst to grow the game worldwide. Here is my dream. Imagine a 3 week slot solely dedicated to the promotion and playing of international RL throughout the world.

Lets leave England and NZ in their respective hemispheres. And Australia can put out a team to prove that their 3rd team is as good as anyone else. You could then easily develop the following world wide format with leagues of 4 teams playing in a round robin format i.e.

Leagues are based on RLIF rankings.

Northern Hemisphere Europe - Euro League 1 - England, Wales, Ireland, France Euro League 2 - Scotland, Russia, Serbia, Italy. Euro League 3 - Lebanon, Germany, Malta, Norway. League 3 - Ukraine, Latvia, Czech republic, Denmark. League 4 - sweden, Netherlands, Hungary and so on so that all Euro teams are placed in an appropriate league.

Northern Hemisphere America's - similar format . America's League 1 - Canada, USA, Jamaica (anyone else out there?).

Southern Hemisphere - PanAsia League 1 - Aus, NZ, PNG, Samoa. PanAsia League 2 - Tonga, Fiji, Cook Islands, Japan PanAsian League 3 - India, Pakistan, Phillipines, Singapore

Africa League 1 - South Africa, Morocco, Ghana (or you could put Lebanon in here).

This format would mean you had;

Year 1 - round robin games in all leagues. You could have P&R after one season. End of season have a 5 nations tournament in the UK. Due to the current strength of European and Australasian teams the top 2 from their League 1 qualify and the winners of the Amercia,s and African League 1 play off for the fifth spot. Imagine England, Wales, NZ, Aus and Canada qualifying. The 5 team tournament will take 1 week longer than present 4 Nations.

Year 2 - same again for a 5 nations tournament in Australia/ NZ

Year 3 - repeat year 1

Year 4 - repeat year 2

Year 5 - World Cup - use league structures to determine who qualifies.

For teams that miss out on the 5 Nations you could still have a series of other comps that we have now. European Bowl, European Cup, Euro Shield etc.

Anyway thats my dream. The above ain't perfect and can be tweaked. It will cost money and take strong commitment but in the long term it gives a solid structure for teams to progress through at their own pace. And teams can choose to enter the league structure when they feel ready.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger, 17 July 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#28 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Northern Hemisphere Europe - Euro League 1 - England, Wales, Ireland, France Euro League 2 - Scotland, Russia, Serbia, Italy. Euro League 3 - Lebanon, Germany, Malta, Norway. League 3 - Ukraine, Latvia, Czech republic, Denmark. League 4 - sweden, Netherlands, Hungary and so on so that all Euro teams are placed in an appropriate league.

Northern Hemisphere America's - similar format . America's League 1 - Canada, USA, Jamaica (anyone else out there?).

Southern Hemisphere - PanAsia League 1 - Aus, NZ, PNG, Samoa. PanAsia League 2 - Tonga, Fiji, Cook Islands, Japan PanAsian League 3 - India, Pakistan, Phillipines, Singapore

Africa League 1 - South Africa, Morocco, Ghana (or you could put Lebanon in here).

I think this is a brilliant idea and have suggested something similar previously. The only thing I would do is have regular competition in the Autumn as GB (barring world cups). This would hopefully encourage players to stay with Wales, Ireland etc during non-world cup years as the summer internationals would put them in the shop window for GB selection. However, that idea has been roundly ridiculed on here before... :(

#29 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Year 1 - round robin games in all leagues. You could have P&R after one season. End of season have a 5 nations tournament in the UK. Due to the current strength of European and Australasian teams the top 2 from their League 1 qualify and the winners of the Amercia,s and African League 1 play off for the fifth spot. Imagine England, Wales, NZ, Aus and Canada qualifying. The 5 team tournament will take 1 week longer than present 4 Nations.

Year 2 - same again for a 5 nations tournament in Australia/ NZ

Year 3 - repeat year 1

Year 4 - repeat year 2

Year 5 - World Cup - use league structures to determine who qualifies.

For teams that miss out on the 5 Nations you could still have a series of other comps that we have now. European Bowl, European Cup, Euro Shield etc.

Anyway thats my dream. The above ain't perfect and can be tweaked. It will cost money and take strong commitment but in the long term it gives a solid structure for teams to progress through at their own pace. And teams can choose to enter the league structure when they feel ready.

I think the idea of using the league structures as qualifiers is very good, as this will ensure that games have additional meaning. Personally I'd opt for something along these lines, as it would also include some GB competition:

Year 1:

Summer - leagues count as 1st leg of World Cup qualifiers

Autumn - X Nations tournament (number of participants can be determined as required, home nations compete separately)

Year 2:

Summer - leagues count as 2nd leg of World Cup qualifiers

Autumn - GB host Aus or NZ

Year 3:

Summer - leagues count as 1st leg of X Nations qualifiers

Autumn - World Cup

Year 4:

Summer - leagues count as 2nd leg of X Nations qualifiers

Autumn - GB tour NZ or Aus

Year 5:

Summer - leagues count as 1st leg of World Cup qualifiers

Autumn - X Nations tournament

And so on...

Edited by RugbyLeagueGeek, 17 July 2013 - 10:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users