Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

With the London Broncos leaving their Stoop ground at the end of this season, it would be great if they could return to their spiritual home, Craven Cottage. Perhaps such a move would revitalise the club?

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

That would be wonderful, but may be impossible for a number of reasons. Not sure how much of a leaguie Al Fayed is...

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

That would be wonderful, but may be impossible for a number of reasons. Not sure how much of a leaguie Al Fayed is...

Big Al has sold Fulham.

#4 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not sure how much of a leaguie Al Fayed is...

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 16 July 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

hope this is true

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#6 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

hope this is true

It is already on wikipedia but I have heard it in person from someone relatively close to the Broncos hierarchy.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#7 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

It is already on wikipedia but I have heard it in person from someone relatively close to the Broncos hierarchy.

Was it Buck or Dusty? ;)
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#8 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

The Bronco's Chief Exec is on BBC text saying the RFL, need to be very careful who they drop down to the lower league.

#9 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

The Bronco's Chief Exec is on BBC text saying the RFL, need to be very careful who they drop down to the lower league.

Presumably "careful" for him means not the Broncos. 

Should be fun once the format for 2015 is set, having yet another set of debates about how the teams are dropped out of the top league.

Of course there's nothing to say they couldn't drop 3 clubs from the existing 14 and bring a side in from the Championship.

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Was it Buck or Dusty? ;)

No, it'll be Stevo. :tongue:

#11 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

its starting to all make sense now

#12 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Barnet would be a disaster, especially competing with Saracens in the same area.

#13 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Barnet would be a disaster, especially competing with Saracens in the same area.

My thoughts too.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#14 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

My thoughts too.

It's not Barnet. Stanmore is in Harrow. If it also allows the Broncos to have their own ground in the future, is that not a good thing?

No, it'll be Stevo. :tongue:

How dare you! ;)

#15 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

It's not Barnet. Stanmore is in Harrow. If it also allows the Broncos to have their own ground in the future, is that not a good thing?

How dare you! ;)

Barnet / Stanmore no difference. The problem I have with it is that it's stuck out of the way, nowhere near any other RL clubs (except for Hemel and they're much better off doing their own thing), and has huge competition from other sports. Saracens, in particular, would prove to be a massive obstacle to the Broncos in terms of two codes of rugby moving to a new area and looking for fans, corporates, sponsors, etc. Only, one of them would have millions to spend and the other tuppence ha'penny.

I just don't see it working.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#16 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

You think that Saracens would be more entertaining?

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

The presence or otherwise of Saracens really shouldn't make any difference to London, the fact that there's soccer would probably be more damaging - but at least it provides a handy excuse for failing to engage either sponsors or the community.

I remain to be convinced that even with a move to The Hive that there's enough nous, finance and will at London to make it work.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

The presence or otherwise of Saracens really shouldn't make any difference to London, the fact that there's soccer would probably be more damaging - but at least it provides a handy excuse for failing to engage either sponsors or the community.

I remain to be convinced that even with a move to The Hive that there's enough nous, finance and will at London to make it work.

Moving to the Hive could be a great move for the Broncos, but it's difficult to see the current lot at London making anything a success. If you gave them £20m, their own ground, a huge catchment area and no competition from other attractions, they'd still cock it up.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Barnet / Stanmore no difference. The problem I have with it is that it's stuck out of the way, nowhere near any other RL clubs (except for Hemel and they're much better off doing their own thing), and has huge competition from other sports. Saracens, in particular, would prove to be a massive obstacle to the Broncos in terms of two codes of rugby moving to a new area and looking for fans, corporates, sponsors, etc. Only, one of them would have millions to spend and the other tuppence ha'penny.

I just don't see it working.

No matter where they go, they will be competing against other sports. As the crow flies, the distance fromm Stanmore to Sacracens ground is anything from 6-7 miles away, which 6-7 miles further away from a RU club than currently. It's not perfect but nowhere ever will be for the Broncos. Two positives from this in my opinion could be:

1. Access to being sole owners of their own ground in the future.

2. A real schools development policy linking in the Broncos to the Hemel and St Albans areas rather than just appearing in random places on the Greater London map. There is an argument that the development policy is too disperate and this could help alleviate those issues. Considering London Skolars are 12 miles away, you could develop a chain running from there all the way up to Hemel.

Only ideas of course and as GJ notes, they'll no doubt balls it up and make excuses anyway!

#20 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

I've heard Barnet is currently a no go.. for the most ridiculous of reasons.. have heard an offer was on the table but the Broncos have said no. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk