TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I've heard Barnet is currently a no go.. for the most ridiculous of reasons.. have heard an offer was on the table but the Broncos have said no. 

You can't leave us hanging like that dude!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

For the love of...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

The presence or otherwise of Saracens really shouldn't make any difference to London, the fact that there's soccer would probably be more damaging - but at least it provides a handy excuse for failing to engage either sponsors or the community.

I remain to be convinced that even with a move to The Hive that there's enough nous, finance and will at London to make it work.

I think if you have two 'rugby' clubs - one with huge resources and the other less than nothing, one with huge ambition the other less than nothing, one with a huge media profile the other less than nothing, one with an established schools and community presence the other less than nothing, one with a pre-existing support base to call upon the other haemorrhaging fans at a suicidal rate, one with a reasonably predictable future the other not a clue beyond the end of the week - and you move them both to a new area then there's only going to be one winner.

Also, the idea that the club will take ownership of this stadium in ten years time is an interesting one. AFAIK Harrow Council have only given permission for the stadium for ten years, nothing beyond that. So there might not even be anything to take possession of at that point.

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

if they can't make it work where they are, what leads them to think they can make it work elsewhere? I respectfully submit that the stadium is not the issue.

#25 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

if they can't make it work where they are, what leads them to think they can make it work elsewhere? I respectfully submit that the stadium is not the issue.

Tru dat!

#26 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Don't really wanna say to much. Its probably just another rumour.. have heard quite a few, so who knows.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#27 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

A move back to West London and Craven Cottage would be perfect for the club, I feel. in the early 80s, Fulham RFL were able to attract crowds of over 10,000 to this venue! If the Broncos could attract anywhere near that now then the future of Super League in London would be assured. 25,000 sports lovers regularly attend the stadium to watch Premiership football, an audience who would immdediately become aware of the Broncos' presence should such a move take place and would hopefully take an interest in the club.

#28 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I don't know London very well at all but isn't there a particular part of it where rugby league is even slightly more popular (not saying much I know)?

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

The problem with London is that all the green spaces within the M25 are already claimed and have 7 figure asking prices for bits of it that can host a rugby game, never mind already having a stadium and infrastructure in place.  There also aren't that many existing grounds that have capacity to take a semi-pro club with aspirations for SL and actually would tolerate having a tenant.  It's not that great for the Broncos but then it hasn't been for a long time.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

I don't know London very well at all but isn't there a particular part of it where rugby league is even slightly more popular (not saying much I know)?

I don't believe so. If there is, I've never been there.

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

With the London Broncos leaving their Stoop ground at the end of this season, it would be great if they could return to their spiritual home, Craven Cottage. Perhaps such a move would revitalise the club?

32 years has shown a core of 700 fans for the London club, rising to a couple of thousand for an SL club rising to up to 5,000 for a competitive SL club. Not bad for a club in an area with minimal RL roots. Where they play (and they have played all over) doesn't seem to really matter as John M says. Only money, whether from private or central funding will give the club any "vitality".

Edited by The Parksider, 18 July 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#32 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

A move back to West London and Craven Cottage would be perfect for the club, I feel. in the early 80s, Fulham RFL were able to attract crowds of over 10,000 to this venue! If the Broncos could attract anywhere near that now then the future of Super League in London would be assured. 25,000 sports lovers regularly attend the stadium to watch Premiership football, an audience who would immdediately become aware of the Broncos' presence should such a move take place and would hopefully take an interest in the club.

But they've attracted a crowd of over 10,000 in East London at Charlton's ground. And they've had big crowds at The Stoop as well. The specific location doesn't appear to be important (although staying in one location would help!). What really matters is having a competitive team on the field, something the Broncos haven't had for a very long time.

#33 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

A competitive team on the field and competent management ( I don't even ask for brilliant, just competent) off it.

And a bit of support from the RFL might help too. Nothing major here, but not switching our home game with Leeds to a Thursday night during term-time might be a start.

Edited by nadera78, 18 July 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#34 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

And a bit of support from the RFL might help too. Nothing major here, but not switching our home game with Leeds to a Thursday night during term-time might be a start.

Isn't that due to Sky rather than the RFL?

#35 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

barnet would be a disaster for the broncos, what is wrong with staying at the stoop??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#36 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

barnet would be a disaster for the broncos, what is wrong with staying at the stoop??

Well The Stoop hasn't exactly proven to be a roaring success.

Incidentally, Barnet (well, Stanmore/Harrow) would work slightly better for fans coming down the M1. I reckon it'd cut about 30 minutes off the journey compared to The Stoop.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter where you put them if they continue to only win a handful of games a season..

Edited by Kenny Bania, 18 July 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

as a visiting supporter the stoop is in my top 3 away grounds in the country, brilliant facilities and relatively easy to get to by road. plus they sell a great pint of greene king ipa
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#38 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

as a visiting supporter the stoop is in my top 3 away grounds in the country, brilliant facilities and relatively easy to get to by road. plus they sell a great pint of greene king ipa

It's a good facility. But as a home fan, you tend to feel like an away fan - you just can't escape the feeling of being on RU/enemy territory, be it in the ground itself or the surrounding area.

#39 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Isn't that due to Sky rather than the RFL?

I'm sure the RFL could intervene if they wanted to.

#40 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

Assuming Broncos are still around by then?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users