Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's a good facility. But as a home fan, you tend to feel like an away fan - you just can't escape the feeling of being on RU/enemy territory, be it in the ground itself or the surrounding area.

That's the thing that saddens me.  The Harlequins hook-up was one of the more inspired things to come out of professional RL in London, hooking onto a massive London brand in a good stadium and giving RL a proper, long-term home they could plan against.  What killed it at birth though was the rugby league people treating the deal as if it were treachery of unimaginable depths.  I heard far too many people say they weren't going to a game there because of "I'm not giving my money to that union filth" or similar, usually with harsher language.

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go.  They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

That's the thing that saddens me.  The Harlequins hook-up was one of the more inspired things to come out of professional RL in London, hooking onto a massive London brand in a good stadium and giving RL a proper, long-term home they could plan against.  What killed it at birth though was the rugby league people treating the deal as if it were treachery of unimaginable depths.  I heard far too many people say they weren't going to a game there because of "I'm not giving my money to that union filth" or similar, usually with harsher language.

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go.  They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

I think it cuts both ways though. I'm not particularly in the 'hate RU' camp (I'm broadly indifferent towards the code) but there were few moves within the club or locally to make RL feel like an equal partner.

However, you could see when they had a double header at The Stoop, that the two codes just couldn't get on. Most union fans flooded out as soon as their game finished and many league fans passed them on the way in.

Personally speaking, I've stopped going to games as (i) the team have barely won a game since the old king was on the throne and (ii) I've moved home, making the trip to The Stoop a pain in the backside. The RU-related discomfort was a pain, but not a significant factor.

Edited by Kenny Bania, 18 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#44 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

[quote name="Viking Warrior" post="2748929" timestamp="1374143213"]

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....[/quote

I need to lie down.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 18 July 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#45 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go. They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

I think Mark Evans the Chief Executive of Harlequins Rugby Union said that if Rugby League couldn't work at the Stoop with the Harlequins brand then it wasn't going to be able to work in London at all.

I would have to agree that the Harlequins association was a massive opportunity missed. The Quins brand is very strong and has immediate recognition from the wider sporting public in London and the South.

The RFL and Super League should have shown some vision and ensured that Harlequins were given financial advantages so they could compete at the top of the game. A club called Harlequins with a team full of internationals and getting to the later stages of the Challenge Cup and Super League play offs would have been big news and attracted lots of media attention. Like the Melbourne Storm are in Australia.

The lack of vision shown by the Super League clubs and the RFL with London has been desperately sad.

#46 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think it cuts both ways though. I'm not particularly in the 'hate RU' camp (I'm broadly indifferent towards the code) but there were few moves within the club or locally to make RL feel like an equal partner.However, you could see when they had a double header at The Stoop, that the two codes just couldn't get on. Most union fans flooded out as soon as their game finished and many league fans passed them on the way in.Personally speaking, I've stopped going to games as (a) the team have barely won a game since the old king was on the throne and ( B) I've moved home, making the trip to The Stoop a pain in the backside. The RU-related discomfort was a pain, but not a significant factor.

I would have to agree. When they first became Quins I went to watch them at The Stoop when they were playing the big boys and I think there was quite good vibe about the place and a lot of optimism. I don't think the Quins branding put people off as it is not really feasible being an anti-Union bigot in the South as it just doesn't get you anywhere. But as the team declined on the pitch things really started to slide.

I think Mark Evans was probably right. If rugby league isn't going to work as Quins at The Stoop is it going to work anywhere in London?

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,052 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

As Quins, the upside should have been bigger than the downside..they should have attracted more new supporters than lost old ones, in my view.

I still have by London replica shirt from the Virgin days..days which seem in retrospect to be some of the best days for the club.

maybe a bit harsh and polarised here, but  if the club could not capitalise on the Harlequins brand , and could not capitalise on the Virgin brand, what hope is there for the current club. Maybe only a complete change of owners, staff, culture,  etc is the answer.

#48 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

The Harelquins thing was never going to work. Too many obstacles and not helped by the fact that the man behind it all, Ian Lenegan, left soon after to buy Wigan. Besides, I'm certain that if Quins RL had won SL or the Challenge Cup then people reading the headlines in the paper or watching the news reports would have seen the name 'Harlequins' and assumed it was rugby union. I'm convinced of it.

All that said, none of that would have mattered if we'd had decent management in place. The club has been diabolically run for 5 or 6 years now. To the point that even diehards have stopped going.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#49 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

This will probably be the 20th time ive posted this.. RL has at no point been given a proper go in London. You cannot say Londoners don't want RL (one of Stevo's favourites), or that RL in London wont work, until theres been a proper attempt at selling the game to the public.

The majority of people in London know nothing about the Broncos. For them to succeed that has to change.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#50 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

The majority of people in London know nothing about the Broncos. For them to succeed that has to change.

Where I work, there are only a few people who know there are two codes of rugby, let alone that there's a club called London Broncos.

#51 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

The Harelquins thing was never going to work. Too many obstacles and not helped by the fact that the man behind it all, Ian Lenegan, left soon after to buy Wigan. Besides, I'm certain that if Quins RL had won SL or the Challenge Cup then people reading the headlines in the paper or watching the news reports would have seen the name 'Harlequins' and assumed it was rugby union. I'm convinced of it.

All that said, none of that would have mattered if we'd had decent management in place. The club has been diabolically run for 5 or 6 years now. To the point that even diehards have stopped going.

I don't think that is the case at all. The sporting public aren't morons and are able to tell the difference between the two rugby codes. If Harlequins were playing Wigan or Leeds in the Grand Final or the Challenge Cup then the sporting public would be able to tell the difference. 

The Harlequins brand opened doors and attracted public attention in London. The key problem was Harlequins rugby league didn't make it worth while for Harlequins rugby union to keep the association going. The RFL and the Super League clubs should have made sure the London club were subsidised to ensure they were major players in the all of the competitions. 

On field success sells. Just look at the fortunes of Wigan Athletic or the soccer clubs in Wales. 

#52 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....[/quote

I need to lie down.
[/quote]

why my support of the broncos as my joint second team with crusaders has never been a secret.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#53 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm sure the RFL could intervene if they wanted to.

they would if the broncos were a yorkshire club.........

#54 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Where I work, there are only a few people who know there are two codes of rugby, let alone that there's a club called London Broncos.

Indeed. I don't go with the "marketing" thing. Getting a professional level paying crowd where there's no culture of RL is tough even in places like Sheffield Liverpool & Manchester. Getting a crowd at a losing club is difficult even where the RL culture goes back 150 years.

Effective marketing costs big money. Bigger for London than Leeds.

If the game feels the slowly emerging RL culture and the player production line that comes from it is worth subsidising the pro club then get on with it. If they feel it's not or there isn't the will/money then abandon them to their own fate and let's have done.

Looks like the latter is the way it's going

#55 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

they would if the broncos were a yorkshire club.........

My view is that if it's good enough for the RFL to buy Odsal then it's good enough for them to intervene elsewhere, not just London.  A dangerous but important intervention and precedent by the RFL.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#56 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

My view is that if it's good enough for the RFL to buy Odsal then it's good enough for them to intervene elsewhere, not just London.  A dangerous but important intervention and precedent by the RFL>

Wasn't the precedent set when they invested in Spotland and Cougar Park many moons ago?

Posted Image

#57 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wasn't the precedent set when they invested in Spotland and Cougar Park many moons ago?

True.  The Odsal purchase was close enough ago though that other clubs could see it as dual standards if the RFL refuse to step in.

#58 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

the demise of blackpool is one of the more shameful episodes of the rfl not batting on a level wicket, if bradford are good enough to save then so were blackpool.......

#59 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....

You could say the same about the North east who have made phenomenal strides in developing RL and so claim support for Gateshead or Wales, both north and South and so claim support there.

Gateshead, for instance, at the time they were thrown under the bus as a SL team where drawing more than London currently draw and that was after only one season, not 30.

Crusaders are drawing 8oo to a 1000 in CC1 about a third to a half as many as London are pulling in in SL.

When will the Broncos be considered a heartland team and be on a par with everybody else.? The amateur game in London is strong and well established, The Bronocs have been around for the said 30 years. How long are they going to take to be self sustaining.?

A London presence is desirable but at what cost. Might the game be better served by The Skolars and Hemel and a lower tier broncos if necessary.

the preferential treatment routine for a SL Broncos is getting old.

#60 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

the preferential treatment routine for a SL Broncos is getting old.

I've read similar things before, but what preferential treatment have London Broncos/Harlequins RL/Broncos received?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users