Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Prince RL

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

It has probably been brought up on the forum before but it would be a terrific publicity stunt to have one of the younger princes to be seen with

the WC trophy. William probably has other things on his mind at the moment but Harry would be ideal. Imagine the free publicity and PR it would produce. He seems a down to earth lad who loves his sport, wonder if he has actually been asked to attend any games?. We must surely have some RL supporters who move in his circle of friends. Worth considering anyway.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

He could wear that Nazi uniform.

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Harry? I'd rather have a royal.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Prince Harry would be a great choice.  He has his mother's ability to connect with the crowd, doesn't mind a laugh and loves sport. 

However, I just can't see us attracting him somehow.

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Knowing our game, he'd probably get booed by some of the crowd.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,521 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Ben Parkinson actually deserves the honour
As well as having played the game... He's one of ours
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

RL crowds are quite annoyingly deferential to royals.

Then they moan about them in the pub.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry I forgot that you consider the Royals jolly good eggs because they've been in the military as a PR stunt.

I've always thought that honours should be reserved for those that have earned them, so somebody thy has contributed I the game or society.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Sorry I forgot that you consider the Royals jolly good eggs because they've been in the military as a PR stunt.

I've always thought that honours should be reserved for those that have earned them, so somebody thy has contributed I the game or society.

Harry is a proper soldier with proper tours under his belt and the earned medals to show for it.  Same with Andrew, although his recent conduct has been a bit less than appropriate.  Their service is certainly not a PR stunt.  William has been protected a lot more but even then he still has a proper military job, albeit that he's giving up soon.

I'm a thorough republican but those three have earned the respect I give them.  Their honours are far more earned than almost any other person that stands up to award a trophy in the UK.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Harry is a proper soldier with proper tours under his belt and the earned medals to show for it.  Same with Andrew, although his recent conduct has been a bit less than appropriate.  Their service is certainly not a PR stunt.  William has been protected a lot more but even then he still has a proper military job, albeit that he's giving up soon.

I'm a thorough republican but those three have earned the respect I give them.  Their honours are far more earned than almost any other person that stands up to award a trophy in the UK.

The Duke of Edinburgh was in the Royal Navy during WW2, hardly a "stunt" since he wasn't a British royal at the time and not even a British citizen either.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

It has probably been brought up on the forum before but it would be a terrific publicity stunt to have one of the younger princes to be seen with

the WC trophy. William probably has other things on his mind at the moment but Harry would be ideal. Imagine the free publicity and PR it would produce. He seems a down to earth lad who loves his sport, wonder if he has actually been asked to attend any games?. We must surely have some RL supporters who move in his circle of friends. Worth considering anyway.

I imagine that their PR departments have thousands of similar requests. I don't think it would ever make it to them before being knocked back. There is no charity angle and neither prince seems to have a personal interest in the game.

#12 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

I imagine that their PR departments have thousands of similar requests. I don't think it would ever make it to them before being knocked back. There is no charity angle and neither prince seems to have a personal interest in the game.

The WC should be Britains premier sporting showpiece of the year. If the RFL have anyone in position to explain this to them is another matter.

Edited by bar red, 18 July 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,521 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

The Duke of Edinburgh was in the Royal Navy during WW2, hardly a "stunt" since he wasn't a British royal at the time and not even a British citizen either.

same as tens of thousands of others

Keeping it local

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,521 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

so is ben parkinson

Keeping it local

#15 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

I can't comment on the sort of job that the Royals do in the armed forces now.
But I worked on the aero engines that were used when both Charles and Andrew were learning to fly. Believe me the rules that were put into place regarding the overhaul of the engines were far and away more stringent than any other engines I ever worked on.
I cannot believe that the Princes are treated as ordinary armed forces personnel.
As a little aside, my Mother worked in the canteen in the Shipyard and whenever the talk turned to the royal family she never failed to mention that when the Queen came to Barrow once, an office was converted into a toilet just in case Her Majesty wanted to use the loo.
Mam always finished off the story with " the best of it was she never even used it"
Fast forward 50 odd years and in 2010 Charles came to visit a school in Coventry which has a farm. On the day before the half day visit all the kids were sent out litter picking to tidy the area up. A special toilet was created for HH just in case he needed it! ( I don't know if he did or not) but I do know that there was a budget of £10,000 allocated for the visit and it was all used.
In the pm he went off to Birmingham for another half day visit. I bet another loo was commissioned there too.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#16 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

I am not a  royalist,but for the good of the WC and the sport I hope the organiser's [ahem]have got a top senior royal lined up for the presentation

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Get him to play Purple Rain and it would be great.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Had a platoon of Gurka's looking after him, inside Camp Bastion.

#19 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Is that where he shot his Tigers, very rare now.

#20 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

The Duke of Edinburgh must have been a very brave man? Have you seen all those medals he wears on public engagements!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users