Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will any of the four Semi Final teams do a "Saints" this weekend?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

When Saints went on their record of reaching 9 successive RL Cup semi finals, it was fantastic for the young lads at the club as they were usually guaranteed a first team place a week before the semi final, as most of the senior players were rested

This often led to some skewed results and large sums being gambled on the opposition....particularly Bradford.  :ph34r:

With this weekend's games in mind, which of the following clubs is likely to follow that trend and maybe offer an opportunity of a small wager to those not just with inside knowledge.

Bradford v Hull FC

Widnes v London

Warrington v Hull KR

St Helens v Wigan

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'd be surprised if there weren't a few changes to the Warrington line-up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'd be surprised if there weren't a few changes to the Warrington line-up.

Any truth in the story that Tony Smith announced that there would be a few new faces in the team for Sunday and Ben Westwood said "Put me down for one"...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

I would be astonished if Sam, Lockers, Mac, Mossop or Faz played, with Hampshire, Tuson/Hughes, Logan and Flower/Taylor/Lauaki available. Would still be a good game. Not quite Millwardesque but still taking it easy. Particularly as we have to play on Monday.

#5 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

They'll all rest players that's what was so funny at the time about people getting their knickers in a twist about Saints doing it

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

They'll all rest players that's what was so funny at the time about people getting their knickers in a twist about Saints doing it

You've hit the nail on the head with your phraseology there.

This year's teams will "all rest players" but Saints used to "rest all players".

#7 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Its pretty bad when you hope the side bottom of the table might rest a few.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#8 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

A clever thread?

Get your excuses in early just in case Rovers beat Warrington and Hull lose at Bradford.

Could be the deciding point in the perennial battle to be King of the Humber in the final league placing.

Ironic how the fans other than at Hull couldn't give a XXXX about the Cup until the semis but are willing to forfeit a league game now.
For Hull Wembley is the Promised Land, one day Rodney they will manage to win there.

God help us then!

#9 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

I hope the pies rest everyone and Saints spank em & Rervers show the Giants how to beat Wire

No real reason ;)

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

A clever thread?

Get your excuses in early just in case Rovers beat Warrington and Hull lose at Bradford.

Could be the deciding point in the perennial battle to be King of the Humber in the final league placing.

Ironic how the fans other than at Hull couldn't give a XXXX about the Cup until the semis but are willing to forfeit a league game now.
For Hull Wembley is the Promised Land, one day Rodney they will manage to win there.

God help us then!

Fantastic.

You never let me down.

#11 7723

• Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would be astonished if Sam, Lockers, Mac, Mossop or Faz played, with Hampshire, Tuson/Hughes, Logan and Flower/Taylor/Lauaki available. Would still be a good game. Not quite Millwardesque but still taking it easy. Particularly as we have to play on Monday.

I can't see Wane resting all of them. Maybe Faz, don't think he has had a break this season.

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

A clever thread?

God help us then!

It's as if the Hull Daily Mail website has sprung a leak.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

When Saints went on their record of reaching 9 successive RL Cup semi finals, it was fantastic for the young lads at the club as they were usually guaranteed a first team place a week before the semi final, as most of the senior players were rested

This often led to some skewed results and large sums being gambled on the opposition....particularly Bradford.  :ph34r:

With this weekend's games in mind, which of the following clubs is likely to follow that trend and maybe offer an opportunity of a small wager to those not just with inside knowledge.

Bradford v Hull FC
Widnes v London
Warrington v Hull KR
St Helens v Wigan

Tough one for Gentle this. He would obviously like to rest some players but I don't think he'll be able to afford to given league positions. With Bradford fans due to turn out in all-red clothing and yon FC in the irregulars expect outbreaks of vertigo on the terraces.

Bulls will be resting Sidlow and Blythe for this one after the match against Melbourne last week.

ps - this time could you all set off in good time please. Match starts at 8 so if you could be on the road by say dinner time then that would be good.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#14 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Tough one for Gentle this. He would obviously like to rest some players but I don't think he'll be able to afford to given league positions. With Bradford fans due to turn out in all-red clothing and yon FC in the irregulars expect outbreaks of vertigo on the terraces.

Bulls will be resting Sidlow and Blythe for this one after the match against Melbourne last week.

ps - this time could you all set off in good time please. Match starts at 8 so if you could be on the road by say dinner time then that would be good.

Pretty much what he's said himself. We're not in a position where we can afford to throw away the opportunity to claim the two points.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#15 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

It's as if the Hull Daily Mail website has sprung a leak.

Or a certain radio presenter has joined TRL

Edited by westhuller, 17 July 2013 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users