Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mick Crane

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Daryn Hanright

Daryn Hanright
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Does anyone know if any books/publications have been written about this guy?

He sounded like a legend in the 70's/early 80's for mainly Hull FC, but also briefly Leeds and Hull KR.

Drinking, smoking, betting, not training, then going out and playing a blinder!

Anyone know his official playing height and weight? Have seen him on youtube etc playing against the Kangaroos in 82 for Hull & playing brilliantly. He didn't look like a big guy.

There was a good write up about him in Dave Hadfields XIII Winters where (Crane) was described as the George Best of rugby league!

cheers

Daryn

#2 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Does anyone know if any books/publications have been written about this guy?

He sounded like a legend in the 70's/early 80's for mainly Hull FC, but also briefly Leeds and Hull KR.

Drinking, smoking, betting, not training, then going out and playing a blinder!

Anyone know his official playing height and weight? Have seen him on youtube etc playing against the Kangaroos in 82 for Hull & playing brilliantly. He didn't look like a big guy.

There was a good write up about him in Dave Hadfields XIII Winters where (Crane) was described as the George Best of rugby league!

cheers
Daryn

Peter Sterlings autobiography has some good stories of his time at the club and Craney gets more than one or two mentions.
He was possibly one of the most gifted players I ever saw Knocker Norton even found himself on the bench because of Craney.

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

He was a fabulous player, and such a character. Knocker was something else though. When men were men. Wasn't Skerrett around then as well?

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

He was a fabulous player, and such a character. Knocker was something else though. When men were men. Wasn't Skerrett around then as well?

Indeed he was, as was Charlie Stone, Ronnie Wileman and Paul Rose.

Mick Crane briefly appears as the acting half in the following video, also including Knocker. Apologies for posting this once again but I never get fed up of watching it....

https://www.youtube....h?v=jF1PkgBZtJ4

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

http://www.eraoftheb...1&ObjectType=55

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

are there any pics of what he looks like these days? how old will he be?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I don't think Craney was particularly big for an RL player though I'm not suggesting he was small either. I last saw him when he was working on the building site when they were putting up the houses at the eastern end of Victoria Dock about fifteen years ago. He didn't look much different from his playing days except maybe a bit greyer. Craney or Knocker as LF in your all time Hull team?

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 Daryn Hanright

Daryn Hanright
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

He sounds like an English league version of Dougie Walters (Australian cricketer of 60's, 70's).

Having a beer, ciggie and a bet. Up all night. Chuck in some cards. Not liking training much. Keeping it simple. Being relaxed. And being successful because of it.

These days neither of them would get past amateur club league/cricket I'd imagine! Not because of lack of talent, just not fitting into team rules & "professionalism" *cough*

Edited by Daryn Hanright, 18 July 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#9 Daryn Hanright

Daryn Hanright
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

Best description of his play has to be here:

http://sabotagetimes...e-men-of-steel/

And here:

Also found this little piece on google news archive search for a Sydney Morning Herald article before he was picked for the 3rd test again the Kangaroos in 82.

https://www.google.c....49478099,d.aGc

He has a write up in "Hull Rugby League Club 100 Greats" by Ray Fletcher

Wonder if a match program exists somewhere with his playing weight & height. Its hard to really get a gauge on a player without those stats.

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

"I did consider putting in more Hull KR players, but then I suddenly realised I heartliy despised them and all they stood for...."

Ha ha, absolutely brilliant... :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by Old Frightful, 18 July 2013 - 06:14 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

"I did consider putting in more Hull KR players, but then I suddenly realised I heartliy despised them and all they stood for...."

Ha ha, absolutely brilliant... :laugh:  :laugh:

Superb

The highlight of a very entertaining read.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

And here:

Also found this little piece on google news archive search for a Sydney Morning Herald article before he was picked for the 3rd test again the Kangaroos in 82.

https://www.google.c....49478099,d.aGc

He has a write up in "Hull Rugby League Club 100 Greats" by Ray Fletcher

Wonder if a match program exists somewhere with his playing weight & height. Its hard to really get a gauge on a player without those stats.

I've just dug out the programme for the 1975/76 Hull V Widnes Player's No. 6 Trophy Final. At that time, according to the 'Hull Data Sheet', Mick was 23 years old, his height was 6' 0" and his weight was 13st 7lb.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like there should have been a strip in The Victor or Hotspur about him.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#14 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Last time I saw an image of him was the Reunion of Leeds cup final winning team from 1978 and he didn't look much different

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Here he is in his pomp, a fantastic shot showing him concentrating on what to do after he's beat three or four defenders...

Mick-Crane.jpg

#16 Daryn Hanright

Daryn Hanright
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've just dug out the programme for the 1975/76 Hull V Widnes Player's No. 6 Trophy Final. At that time, according to the 'Hull Data Sheet', Mick was 23 years old, his height was 6' 0" and his weight was 13st 7lb.

Thanks for that Ullman!

So 1.83m & about 86kg - maybe if born for today's game he'd physically be suited at stand-off. Loose forward he'd need a few more kg's. Carrying more weight/muscle he might loose that ability to pass/handle the ball with such dexteriority.

If anyone deserves a book written about him, this guy does! One of the mysteries of the game - when he went walkabout, what actually happened??? Gambling/drinking binges? Fishing? Who knows!

#17 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Best I ever saw - end of.
He could do stuff with the ball that todays players couldn't even imagine doing and his inate ability to wrong foot defenders was a sight to behold.
Mick wasn't a big drinker, but loved a bet!

I think he was one of those people that didn't know himself, how good he actually was :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for that Ullman!

So 1.83m & about 86kg - maybe if born for today's game he'd physically be suited at stand-off. Loose forward he'd need a few more kg's. Carrying more weight/muscle he might loose that ability to pass/handle the ball with such dexteriority.

If anyone deserves a book written about him, this guy does! One of the mysteries of the game - when he went walkabout, what actually happened??? Gambling/drinking binges? Fishing? Who knows!

You're welcome.

Although Mick wasn't tall by modern standards there was only one player in the team taller than him and that was Bill Ramsey at 6' 1".

A trip from Hull to the Arctic fishing grounds would have explained him going missing for a few weeks at a time but I'm guessing you don't mean that kind of fishing.

Edited by Ullman, 19 July 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#19 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Can't comment on the authenticity of this story, but I've heard it from so many sources that I'm happy to accept it as gospel. Craney was playing for HKR at the time and had been named on the teamsheet at 13.  Trouble was, with minutes to go before kick-off he was nowhere to be seen.  Roger Millward as coach of KR is about to go and plead with the refereree to change the teamsheet when the door burst open and in staggers our hero, reeking of fags & booze and looking like he's spent the night in a ditch.  Millward delivers his version of a Fergusson hairdryer, tempered with the words "but I've told the ref, so you'll have to play".  By all accounts Millward's last words before Craney stepped on to the pitch were "I don't care how you perform this afternoon, you're a disgrace and have played your last game for this club". 

Needless to say, Craney proceeds to dance / waltz through the opposition defence at regular frequency, scores a hat-trick and is named man-of-the match in a big HKR win.  Back in the dressing room at the end & MIllward calls Mick over.  "Well played Mick, you did well there.  If you can just let us know where you are & what time you'll be coming in future, that'd be fine with me"

Legend.  Absolute legend. And I'm in full agreement with Ullman - best I ever saw.  Word has it that the 1982 Ausies were genuinely scared of Mick Crane because they couldn't even begin to guess what he was going to do. 

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#20 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 748 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Can't comment on the authenticity of this story, but I've heard it from so many sources that I'm happy to accept it as gospel. Craney was playing for HKR at the time and had been named on the teamsheet at 13. Trouble was, with minutes to go before kick-off he was nowhere to be seen. Roger Millward as coach of KR is about to go and plead with the refereree to change the teamsheet when the door burst open and in staggers our hero, reeking of fags & booze and looking like he's spent the night in a ditch. Millward delivers his version of a Fergusson hairdryer, tempered with the words "but I've told the ref, so you'll have to play". By all accounts Millward's last words before Craney stepped on to the pitch were "I don't care how you perform this afternoon, you're a disgrace and have played your last game for this club".

Needless to say, Craney proceeds to dance / waltz through the opposition defence at regular frequency, scores a hat-trick and is named man-of-the match in a big HKR win. Back in the dressing room at the end & MIllward calls Mick over. "Well played Mick, you did well there. If you can just let us know where you are & what time you'll be coming in future, that'd be fine with me"

Legend. Absolute legend. And I'm in full agreement with Ullman - best I ever saw. Word has it that the 1982 Ausies were genuinely scared of Mick Crane because they couldn't even begin to guess what he was going to do.

I love folklore like this..... Thanks for posting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users