'Water Carriers' on the field - stipulations needed

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Watching State of Origin and annoyed at how the water carriers are used, and ruining the game for me. Allan Langer and Brad Fitler are just standing behind the attacking line and coaching each team, they're almost like a 14th man on the field.

Surely there must be some rules in place which limits how much time they can spend on the field, its absolutely ridiculous.

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

What about fat old naked guys...?

Posted Image

#3 dcc

dcc
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

I thought George Burgess had been brought on by mistake ;)

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,374 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

What about fat old naked guys...?

That's the next centre for the Wallabies you're talking about ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Not sure how warm it is down under today, but in recent weeks the water carriers have been ordered off the field in the championship, despite the fact the players are virtually cooking on the field.

madness - if theres a little bit of coaching thrown in with keeping the players alive, im all for it.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

I noticed that in the second game, the water carrier stays on whilst the team are on attack and then runs off whilst on defence, same for both teams, wouldn't of thought that it changes much as both teams do it,

#7 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Paul Deacon was constantly on the field when Bulls played Wigan at Odsal earlier in the year and it wasn't red hot, he was on for 5 mins at a time, shouting at players, hustling them into positions etc.

#8 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Personally, I don't even notice water carriers any more. I know it was a big deal a few years ago when summer rugby first started and everyone was up in arms about how much time these guys were spending on the field, but I don't really see it as a problem and think it is generally managed quite well (bar the odd notable exception!).

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

This is the sort of thing people get irate about at the match and I can never work out why.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Is The Daddy going to post a new whinge every day?
Posted Image

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Watching State of Origin and annoyed at how the water carriers are used, and ruining the game for me.

To be honest, the only time I noticed Fittler was when the commentators decided to conduct an interview with him while he was on the pitch. I was more interested in watching the action.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Well it annoys the hell out of me for a couple of reasons. The first is that there are clear stipulations that only the attacking team can allow a water-carrier on the pitch and this for supposedly a minimal length of time - I have seen both contravened this season. The second, and most important, is that it increases the total nannyish control that some coaches seem to think they must exert over their teams, implying that the players on the pitch are incapable of implementing a plan or even, occasionally, coming up with their own plays. The coaches have these players at their disposal all week - if they can't get their ideas across in that time then just maybe they aren't such good coaches after all.

Finally I have seen WC's on the pitch in March and April this year - water wasn't an immediate necessity then, believe me.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

To be honest, the only time I noticed Fittler was when the commentators decided to conduct an interview with him while he was on the pitch. I was more interested in watching the action.

What he said
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#14 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

in this seasons widnes v dragons game the dragons water carrier helped to form a quick scrum as time was running out, surely this was illegal but the referee allowed it to happen.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is the sort of thing people get irate about at the match and I can never work out why.

Yeah, I agree. My dad often gets worked up about it and it always makes me laugh.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

in this seasons widnes v dragons game the dragons water carrier helped to form a quick scrum as time was running out, surely this was illegal but the referee allowed it to happen.

Did that genuinely happen or is this one of those bits of BS that fans often tout as fact?

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

no dave it actually happened more or less in front of me in the north stand. i actually witnessed it.........but to be fair he may just have got caught up in the occasion of trying to win the game.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Some water carriers spend more time on the pitch than the players well they are coaching 10 year olds !

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

The RFL and the NRL appoint somebody like Gary Mercer to investigate what should be done.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users