Keighley

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have always said KP would come good - he would be even better if he rested and got over whatever injury he is carrying. James Craven scored two tries, so that should guarantee his position in the team for a while shouldn't it - maybe even his future at the club ? Of course I could be wrong. B)  Still a good result though, and even if we only take a handful of points from the remaining fixtures, I think we would be unlucky to go down.

A touch of confidence GOR?

I have always felt that we weren't relegation candidates this season and am certain that this will remain the case. We may have underperformed on a few occasions but there are many teams with more problems than us at present.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#42 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Excellent post Tom.

At least it was good to listen to Liam Finn's comments on Radio Leeds about the club!   

#43 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

In fairness i thought Marchy and ive a go at him in the past played outstanding when he came on.A career over shadowed by his discipline.

#44 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

A touch of confidence GOR?

I have always felt that we weren't relegation candidates this season and am certain that this will remain the case. We may have underperformed on a few occasions but there are many teams with more problems than us at present.

Nowt's over until the Fat bird sings BSJ - but looking at the run in's of the bottom two, they will need to display top of the table form to get out of trouble. Up until yesterday though, I was far from being confident. Looking at our run in, we will still be nearer relegation than top eight - but I would have taken that at the beginning of the season.

#45 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Nowt's over until the Fat bird sings BSJ - but looking at the run in's of the bottom two, they will need to display top of the table form to get out of trouble. Up until yesterday though, I was far from being confident. Looking at our run in, we will still be nearer relegation than top eight - but I would have taken that at the beginning of the season.

I reckon we'll make the play-offs!

Then again I'm well known for being overly optimistic.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#46 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

I've missed a lot of games this season because I've been away a lot, but it seems to me that GM has built a side with the skill to open up defences and score points against most teams. However unless you actually beat the opposing pack, and subdue them by taking more out of them than they take out of you then they will always come back at you in the last third of the match and if you don't then have the tenacity to knock them back again you are in trouble.

What we need to add to the squad is a pair of good old fashioned hard men. Not nutters, but tough grafters like Gary Cocks or Glenn Bell who will let the opposing pack know they are in a game. I know that Azue is a formidable man for anyone to deal with but the opposition know they are only going to have to deal with him in short bursts. If we were able to add a more attritional element to our pack then I reckon the side we have would take a lot of beating.

I reckon that if we had been offered this year's current league position at the end of last season we would have taken it. I also think that if what happened in the first half of yesterday's match had happened in the second half and vice versa we would have come away thrilled with the outcome. It's all a matter of perspective. We won and that's the main thing at the moment.

#47 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Every league point is vital, and we've taken 16 from the last 24 available. We also knocked the holders out of the Northern Rail Cup.

We went away from home to a team scrapping for its life at the bottom of the table still without two of our main play-makers, then lost three more to injury ten minutes into the second half and still came away with the win.

In the first half we were fantastic but nobody (neither on here nor on Facebook) seems to want to waste their breath talking about that. We played some of the best football we've played all season and in Jonathan Schofield we appear to have one of the best attacking kickers we've had in a number of years.

Pryce's hands for his first try and hands + turn of pace for his second were two more 'x-factor' moments from the big man, but again doesn't warrant a mention.

Even my old man at half-time was predicting we'd put 50 or 60 on them, and I think if we'd have scored first they'd have crumbled, but they rallied and capitalised on our mistakes as I expected them to.

Tommy Gallagher getting drawn into a scuffle with the marker instead of playing the ball and giving away a penalty in our own half, knocking on when feeding the scrum, Ryan Hepworth trying to protect his face rather than effecting a charge down and conceding a repeat set, the ball bouncing straight into one of their lads' hands for an easy try after it ricocheted off Scott Hale from a nothing kick, Gregg Scott having the ball stolen after he dived on a loose ball, Brad Watkinson being penalised for a high tackle that looked for all the world a ball-and-all challenge, the freak bounce Danny Jones got for a 40/20 - some if of it our fault, some of it most definitely not, but it put them on top and they deserved their bonus point.

Our line speed in the last 20 minutes was really poor but I'm sure Glenn will address that. A lot has to go badly wrong for us and right for everybody else for us to go down and we will probably make the play-offs. We're also in the top ten, which will be crucial when the league splits into the two divisions of 12 in 2015.

Bucketloads of negativity as usual and people are entitled to their opinion, even, it seems, several of those on Facebook who didn't even go to the match.

But I'm entitled to my opinion too and I think to say we have "no chance" at Whitehaven and to suggest the team "aren't bothered" is extremely unfair.

Also to say "Glenn's lost the plot" when we've taken 16 points from the last 24 is baffling.

A number of people (on here and on Facebook) predicted a defeat yesterday. We come away with a win, and it's still not enough!! How can that be?

We don't have a divine right to hammer every team below us in the table, and to win every home game, and we shouldn't expect teams towards the bottom to roll over. Nobody has been cut adrift in this division for the first time in a long while and there are no easy victories.

Tom, I have told you before, there's no point mentioning things like winning away at Keighley as it spoils the opportunity to moan. A win just about non-one expected including me. In the interview on Radio Leeds, GM mentioned a number of players were forced to stay on when injured, maybe that had something to do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users