Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

21/07/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Huddersfield Giants (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. Castleford Tigers (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

What was the attendance?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#22 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,000 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

What was the attendance?

Yawn. (copyright S. May)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#23 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Did I hear something about a mass brawl at this game?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#24 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yawn. (copyright S. May)

I bet London and Crusaders would get more if they were at the top of the league, very poor.

#25 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I bet London and Crusaders would get more if they were at the top of the league, very poor.

I am amazed people keep up all the posts about the Giants crowd, There is nothing they can say that hasn't been said a thousand times, and in any respect they are saying it to the wrong people, The Giants posters on here are not the one's who are staying away.

Perhaps the ones who are on about it all the time get to make themselves better about the shortcomings in their own club.

The crowd today did nothing to spoil the game for me, I went to watch the Rugby not count the crowd.

Well done to Cas today in the second half, that was a class performance from Chase backed up well by others.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#26 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am amazed people keep up all the posts about the Giants crowd, There is nothing they can say that hasn't been said a thousand times, and in any respect they are saying it to the wrong people, The Giants posters on here are not the one's who are staying away.
Perhaps the ones who are on about it all the time get to make themselves better about the shortcomings in their own club.
The crowd today did nothing to spoil the game for me, I went to watch the Rugby not count the crowd.
Well done to Cas today in the second half, that was a class performance from Chase backed up well by others.

Sorry not a dig intended possibly should have worded it better, the owner of Giants must wonder what he has to do to get people in, the team are doing it on the pitch you must admit the board at Huddersfield must be disappointed with all there effort and investment with a crowd like that. Pearson has invested a lot of money at Hull and the crowds are going down, but you can understand it with us at the minute.

Edited by westhuller, 21 July 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#27 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Did I hear something about a mass brawl at this game?
[/quote
Yep.

2 sin binned.

#28 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

What was the attendance?

Maybe TGG isn't TGG.

5,733 for the 'Birthplace of TGG'

Discuss?

#29 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Maybe TGG isn't TGG.

5,733 for the 'Birthplace of TGG'

Discuss?

What happened in 1895 in Huddersfield is hardly relevant now.  If you read the postings of Padge and others on the recent historical thread you'll see that it wasn't formed there by design.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Did Mason play, if so how was he treated by the crowd and his former teammates?

#31 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Sorry not a dig intended possibly should have worded it better, the owner of Giants must wonder what he has to do to get people in, the team are doing it on the pitch you must admit the board at Huddersfield must be disappointed with all there effort and investment with a crowd like that. Pearson has invested a lot of money at Hull and the crowds are going down, but you can understand it with us at the minute.

Not taken offence mate, It's just the Giants posters on here would be the first to sort it ,were it in their power.

And there are those on here that revel in it,  I've been going for 60 years, some of those when there were 300, at games, I'd love to have 10,000 but we don't so i just keep going.

#32 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Not taken offence mate, It's just the Giants posters on here would be the first to sort it ,were it in their power.
And there are those on here that revel in it, I've been going for 60 years, some of those when there were 300, at games, I'd love to have 10,000 but we don't so i just keep going.

Good on you. It is difficult to figure out though isn't it? In its current form the club looks good and play some great stuff. It's a decent catchment area so you would expect 8k plus.

Perhaps a barometer of the game as a whole...?

#33 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

What happened in 1895 in Huddersfield is hardly relevant now.  If you read the postings of Padge and others on the recent historical thread you'll see that it wasn't formed there by design.

True.

The Birthplace of Rugby League is an irrelevance to the current Huddersfield club. It's just a marketing gimmick.

So, why do Huddersfield have such poor attendances for a team at the top of the Northern Hemisphere version of the TGG?

Discuss?

Edited by TBC, 21 July 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#34 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Did Mason play, if so how was he treated by the crowd and his former teammates?

No.

Didn't play because he missed too much of the training / planning due to court attendances this week.

#35 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

No.

Didn't play because he missed too much of the training / planning due to court attendances this week.

Didn't Mason draw out the tickets for the Golden Gamble winners today though?  ;)

#36 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

No Giants think of Huddersfield as the birthplace of League they are just as aware as everyone it just happened to be the George hotel in Hudderfield. It's just people like to quote it as the birthplace when they are trying to embarras us over crowd numbers.

A few samples of the regular snippets

We don't deserve a team, with crowds like we get.

We don't deserve to be in Super league, with crowds like we get

We don't deserve to have a stadium like we have ,with crowds like we get

We don't deserve to have a so called sugar Daddy with crowds like we get

We are an embarrassment to Super league

You get the sort of thing, the best part is a lot, if not most of it come from fans whose own clubs are perpetually struggling Financially and playing in grounds that truly bring the game into disrepute , or at best Embarrass it on TV

#37 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Apparently "it's how the team does on the pitch" which we had slung at us for years doesn't apply now they are table toppers

Go figure.

#38 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

I think it'd be great if they were getting bigger crowds. I'd guess it'll take a generation of relative success to really start getting the numbers in. Most of us can still remember the woeful sides of the 80s at Fartown, and that will take years to disassociate with the game in the town.

#39 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Well I enjoyed the game, though the cliché 'a game of two halves' applied perfectly here. And Giants fans should be glad they didn't do it in a canter.

When Hudds were carving up Cas in the first half, they started to develop some bad habits, by which they spread the ball to the outside backs at almost every opportunity from any position in the game. They didn't use their forwards at all, which has been their primary strength. While it looked good on the scoreboard, the reality is they won't be able to do it against better teams, which is what Huddersfield should be building for. So a 50-60 point win would have glossed over the deficiencies in their performance.

From what I've seen of their coach Anderson, he never seems happy with the performance (a good trait for a top-class coach- look at Bellamy and Hasler). So I'm sure he will have them working overtime over the next fortnight to ensure a better and smarter performance against Salford.

I think the game against Wigan in a few weeks (which I'll be going to) will decide who wins the league-leaders shield. Huddersfield are capable of winning their first major title in more than 50 years, so it will be interesting to see.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well I enjoyed the game, though the cliché 'a game of two halves' applied perfectly here. And Giants fans should be glad they didn't do it in a canter.

When Hudds were carving up Cas in the first half, they started to develop some bad habits, by which they spread the ball to the outside backs at almost every opportunity from any position in the game. They didn't use their forwards at all, which has been their primary strength. While it looked good on the scoreboard, the reality is they won't be able to do it against better teams, which is what Huddersfield should be building for. So a 50-60 point win would have glossed over the deficiencies in their performance.

From what I've seen of their coach Anderson, he never seems happy with the performance (a good trait for a top-class coach- look at Bellamy and Hasler). So I'm sure he will have them working overtime over the next fortnight to ensure a better and smarter performance against Salford.

I think the game against Wigan in a few weeks (which I'll be going to) will decide who wins the league-leaders shield. Huddersfield are capable of winning their first major title in more than 50 years, so it will be interesting to see.

I'd agree with most of this. Hudds need to be composed and complete more of their sets, rather than trying to play champagne rugby when they have got a decent lead. Parts of the second half were dreadful but two points were won. It was good to see Blackmore and Wood having decent games.

The Wigan game is the stand out one from the run in but I won't be able to get to that. Hudds could do with Lunt, Chan and Fielden back pretty soon to help make a decent challenge in the playoffs.