Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/07/13 - St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Discuss St Helens v Wigan Warriors here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Cant see nothing,but a Wigan win by 16

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

The outcome will depend on the side Wigan put out. If they rest a couple for the Challenge Cup, I can see it being a really close game.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#4 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Gone for Wigan, but derby matches can wreck the form book, so we'll see. Regardless of the result, could Saints please give Wigan a really good battering so they're badly banged up for next week? Pretty please.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Sorry Chiswick.  We have softies for forwards and so there will be no battering Wigan I'm afraid!

I can't see us coming close in this one.  Could be a tad embarrassing, being on TV and all.

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

If Lockers or Sam plays, we should be ok. Ideally, we would build up a good lead and then rest players, but we could rest Mossop (for Taylor), H (for Burke), Faz (for Hughes), Mac (for Logan), Dudson (for Flower) and Crosby (for Lauaki) entirely, without our performance falling off a cliff.

#7 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

Our major problem in these games for the last couple of years has been that we haven't had anyone with the creativity to unlock Wigan's very strong and structured defence in their own 20.  Therefore whenever we get good field position it usually comes to nothing and we have to rely on longer range tries to score, and against a side as disciplined as Wigan such tries don't happen all that often (at least in our games with them).  We are capable of scoring like that though as the game against Castleford showed.

Perhaps this time O'Brien (or Lomax playing at FB) will be able to ask some more difficult questions when we get into a threatening position.  If not then I can't see us winning sadly.

Saints by 4, from hope more than logic.

#8 Gally

Gally
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

O'Loughlin and Tomkins both out has suddenly made this very interesting.

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Let's hope for a stout performance from Saints.

#10 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Saints to be 12 up 2 minutes before half time, Wigan to pull the deficit back then canter away in 2nd half. Seen this movie too many times.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

From Twitter: "Hope @RLMeltdown is ready in case someone moans that the RFL are playing Saints Vs Wigan on the same day the royal baby is likely to be born." :tongue:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Looking forward to this game, should be interesting with O'Loughlin and Tomkins out. I think I'm right in saying there's only 30/38 homegrown players in this match (79%). I think it's a good ratio so well done to both teams. 

#13 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Saints are rubbish at the moment, but Wigan without Tomkins is like a 99 without the flake and the ice cream!

If Wigan really are serious about winning anything they need to win this game to prove to themselves if no one else that they can win without Tomkins.

#14 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hmm, the loss of Tomkins and O'Loughlin should certainly make this more interesting. Wigan are still ovewhelming favourites but it will be close. Come on you Saints!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Saints are rubbish at the moment, but Wigan without Tomkins is like a 99 without the flake and the ice cream!

If Wigan really are serious about winning anything they need to win this game to prove to themselves if no one else that they can win without Tomkins.

Though we could be serious about winning the Cup if Sam only plays twice more. I doubt we would be a top 4 side without him, certainly we wouldn't be without him and Lockers. Then again, given that we were tipped to miss out on the play offs, the season has been good so far. Probably because they ave mostly stayed fit thus far.

#16 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

So both teams will now be missing at least two of their star players.  Hopefully we'll see plenty of passion to compensate for this.

Edited by MrFussy, 22 July 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#17 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

You can bet that Wigan will be full of passion. It's now up to Saints as to whether they can match it.

#18 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Looking forward to this game, should be interesting with O'Loughlin and Tomkins out. I think I'm right in saying there's only 30/38 homegrown players in this match (79%). I think it's a good ratio so well done to both teams. 

is that homegrown as in english? or homegrown as in from saints/wigan?

ive gone for wigan anyways, saints have looked very ordinary this season.

wigan have looked good even with youngsters in the squad,

wigan by 12

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,929 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

27 degrees?, glorious sunshine?

Which Yorkshire venue are they playing at?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#20 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

That swift kids got some pace!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users