Photo
- - - - -

22/07/13 - St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Feeling a bit hard done-by with a few of the referring decisions. That said, silly mistakes are letting Wigan back into the game. They better get their act together in the first 10mins or the second half or Wigan will steam roll us.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#42 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

:D That first try was particularly soft wasn't it.

Not confident about how this is going to pan out though :(

It highlighted Charnley's main fault. He doesn't know when to stay on his man or to come in to attempt the tackle inside. Happens a lot...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#43 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Feeling a bit hard done-by with a few of the referring decisions. That said, silly mistakes are letting Wigan back into the game. They better get their act together in the first 10mins or the second half or Wigan will steam roll us.

It's always hard to tell when you're caught up in the emotion of the game but it felt like we were getting hammered with the decisions there. 

Edited by MrFussy, 22 July 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#44 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Another moral victory for wigan

#45 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Surprised more people didn't comment towards the end of the game... :rolleyes:

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

I watched this game as a true neutral and thought that refereeing decisions had far too much influence on the outcome. It was tight and could have gone either way but individual interpretations had too much of an effect. In particular I thought that he was far too lenient about hands on the ball in the tackle - you only need to watch a couple of NRL games to see how this has readily been removed from the game over there - and Scarsbrook is a consistent offender in this regard. Had the ref clamped down on this scourge then it would have been Saints on the team warning rather than Wigan, and the outcome might have been quite different.

Congratulations to Saints for toughing it out though, their defence was excellent.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Thought Child was pi$$ poor for both teams, lost control and completely bottled it in not sending Taylor off.

At the start of the season players wree being sent off for a late shoulder charge, particularly when it resulted in a serious injury, but that seems to have been forgotten now

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thought Child was pi$$ poor for both teams, lost control and completely bottled it in not sending Taylor off.

At the start of the season players wree being sent off for a late shoulder charge, particularly when it resulted in a serious injury, but that seems to have been forgotten now

Saints have probably been the worst team for shoulder charges this year, how many have they had sent off?

#49 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

What happened to a player being given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away? That aside, edge of the seat stuff and what a superb drop-goal. 

Saints have probably been the worst team for shoulder charges this year, how many have they had sent off?

Rightly so concerning the Saints players, but two wrongs don't make it right. Likewise, a Wigan player should have been given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away. I have seen three Saints players binned for this offence. As for the match, it was edge of the seat stuff even thought there were many errors.... and what about that superb drop-goal? 

It all makes for an exciting finish. 

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Did I see that bloke from Gerry and the pacemakers at the end of the game?

#51 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

That was easily the best night of the season so far for us. I'm extremely proud that we toughed it out despite going into it without Roby and Soliola and then losing Lomax, Walsmley and O'Brien along the way. Hopefully the losses won't be long term or else we're stuffed, but right now it feels better to celebrate than to worry as that may well be the highest point of our year and as such should be savoured.

A few thoughts...

The officiating didn't seem great, but I did feel that Wigan's discipline was very poor throughout the second half.  In recent meetings their pack has successfully intimidated and bullied ours, but last night they were unable to do so and the frustration of that took its toll, with Dudson looking particularly rattled. LMS was absolutely brilliant, possibly his best game for us to date.

Richards' drop goal was tremendous, as good as I can ever recall seeing. That was certainly a moment of magic.

Taylor's hit on O'Brien was something which I still can't decide on. I've seen players sent off for what I would consider to be less, but then I wonder if it was clean cut enough to receive the red. A difficult one, and given the doubt involved I find it hard to be too critical of the ref there.

Makinson stepped up again and is growing in importance to us, and Swift looks like he'll be a great replacement for Meli on the wing next year.

Joe Greenwood showed a huge amount of character to bounce back and score the winning try! It would have been easy for him to go into his shell after the start he had to the second half, but to pick himself up must have taken some doing. I was furious with Matty Smith patronising him like that, there was absolutely no call for it, and after how long he took to crack the top level you'd think that he would know better. I suppose these things happen in the heat of the moment, but he didn't half look stupid after Greenwood scored the winning try and then he went and put the ball out on the full. Perhaps he'll think twice before behaving in such a manner again.

Overall very, very happy :) 

Edited by MrFussy, 23 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Not relevant
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#53 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Not relevant

Why????????

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

What happened to a player being given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away? That aside, edge of the seat stuff and what a superb drop-goal. 

Rightly so concerning the Saints players, but two wrongs don't make it right. Likewise, a Wigan player should have been given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away. I have seen three Saints players binned for this offence. As for the match, it was edge of the seat stuff even thought there were many errors.... and what about that superb drop-goal? 

It all makes for an exciting finish. 

I agree but my challenge was more around St Toppy stating that players have been sent off for late shoulder charges, when this isn't strictly true. What we have seen is people sent off for late high shoulder charges which is a very important difference.

My point about bringing the Saints examples into it (I'm thinking of the Hull KR cup game in particular) was to highlight Toppy's cloudy memory.

#55 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Because Wigan didn't have anyone sent off for a shoulder charge?

I thought the ref was not good, but equally so - pulling back saints for a forward pass that would put them 18-0 up was especially harsh as its one that almost literally couldn't have been passed forward

Both sides had hands in and loitered off side, as well as holding down or carrying on the tackle too long

I think in reflection Wigan were guilty of thinking all they had to do was turn up

Great game to watch, brilliant result as a giants fan

Game decided by goal kicking more than anything else

#56 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Brilliant game, enjoyed every minute. Also Wigan looked like they might have some walking wounded, so we might just manage to keep the b*gg*rs down to double figures on Saturday :biggrin:

#57 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Watched it at a holiday park in Devon. I think all of the people watching weren't RL fans (apart from me) so didn't really mind the referee's decisions or Eddie & Stevo (no sound) and just enjoyed the game for was it was, an exciting battle between two committed teams.

Sometimes we (RL fans) spend too much time complaining about the little problems in our game that we miss what a great game it actually is.

Best comment overheard - "I do prefer this type of rugby to that other one!"
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#58 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Everybody does really, even the ones that say they dont

#59 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Brilliant game and absolutely chuffed to bits with the result. To lose Lomax, Walmsley and O'Brien and still win is a great effort from the team. Big wraps to Makinson, Swift, Laffranchi and Howarth but I thought LMS was excellent last night; first time in a long time he has stood up and led from the front.

I was disappointed with the referring last night and thought we did have a raw deal. However, we stuck with it and beat the old enemy, who are not the same team without Tomkins.

Happy days! :D

#60 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Really well done to Saints. They were much better. Given that on another night they'd have been 18 points up, and that we were really lucky with both Taylor and throwing the ball away, the gap between the 2 sides was substantial. JB had it nailed on, but for the ref we'd have been buried. We appear to be the new Huddersfield. I hope we'll have enough on Saturday, as a day out at Wembley will be a treat to be savoured.
Incidentally, I hugely dislike losing matches just before 10 on a Monday night, as it is pretty much always after a dire day at work, and with an early start the next day. Give me a Friday night or mid afternoon Sunday (or, indeed, Saturday this week) any day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users