Photo
- - - - -

22/07/13 - St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Why????????

Because we're talking about this game not whether in other matches the rules have been similarly poorly enforced.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

A Saints v Wigan game on a Monday night infront of nearly 15,000 people, a superb intense game which was decided with a try in the last 3 minutes.

In the game there was: Possibly the best drop goal ever kicked on a rugby field, sublime skill from Hampshire for Charnleys try not to mention his last ditch tackle on Greenwood. Great play from Meli for Swifts try and great finishing from Swift. Very few errors in the game considering how humid it was. An amazing run from Makinson which essentially set up the match winning try.

Not to mention the amount of British talent we had on show who are under 23. Josh Charnley, Ryan Hampshire, Gil Dudson, Adam Swift, Tommy Makinson, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, Joe Greenwood, Chris Tuson, Gareth Obrien ect.

Yet most of the posts are about James Child, I didn't notice him apart the messing about at scrums.
  • Ant likes this

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Because we're talking about this game not whether in other matches the rules have been similarly poorly enforced.

Not really - St Toppy brought other incidents into it. It was directly related to this match as I was making the point that players don;t get sent off for this kind of offence, and providing evidence (or asking the poster to think back to try and highlight selective memory).

#64 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Fox Sports are reporting that Richards' drop goal has to be the best ever seen in League.

It's certainly the best one I've ever seen, anybody ever seen one that they consider to be better?

Edited by MrFussy, 23 July 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#65 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Another great game and a result that certainly has put the cat amongst the Pigeons.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Fox Sports are reporting that Richards' drop goal has to be the best ever seen in League.

It's certainly the best one I've ever seen, anybody ever seen one that they consider to be better?

possibly this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eLRy1S42nFQ

Wigan again, huh? 

#67 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

This is a bold statement but this fixture is the closest thing we have to the state of origin. I look back over the years and there's been some classic encounters that rarely disappoint and yesterday's game was no exception.

#68 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

This is a bold statement but this fixture is the closest thing we have to the state of origin. I look back over the years and there's been some classic encounters that rarely disappoint and yesterday's game was no exception.

I've seen a fair few poor Saints v Wigan games including at Magic Weekend.

They always get the passion, the crowds, the colour etc, but they do often disappoint if I'm honest as a neutral.

I always find the Leeds v Wigan clashes far better for example.

#69 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

The result means there are still three teams all with a genuine shout of the League Leader's Shield. It should make for a thrilling finish to the regular season.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#70 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

The result means there are still three teams all with a genuine shout of the League Leader's Shield. It should make for a thrilling finish to the regular season.

The reality is that it is Huddersfield's to lose. If they go to Wigan in August and win, they should be confident of taking the shield.

A pretty exciting finish is on the cards!

#71 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think the Giants will win regardless of how they do at the DW, given likely Wembley distractions. I hope they make a big thing of it if they do - they have barely skipped a beat since February.

#72 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

possibly this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eLRy1S42nFQ

Wigan again, huh? 

Credit where it's due that was a pretty amazing shot too :) I don't think I've ever seen another one scored from that distance. I think I preferred Richard's effort though because of the awkward angle and the lack of time and planning involved, although his shot obviously had a far greater element of hope in it than Lydon's did.

The kits in that video are great, I wouldn't mind them looking more like that today.

#73 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Credit where it's due that was a pretty amazing shot too :) I don't think I've ever seen another one scored from that distance. I think I preferred Richard's effort though because of the awkward angle and the lack of time and planning involved, although his shot obviously had a far greater element of hope in it than Lydon's did.

The kits in that video are great, I wouldn't mind them looking more like that today.

Someone will eventually get the tape measure out and find out whose was actually longer. Both were outstanding efforts!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#74 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Gone for Wigan, but derby matches can wreck the form book, so we'll see. Regardless of the result, could Saints please give Wigan a really good battering so they're badly banged up for next week? Pretty please.

The disciplinary should have give them a "really good battering" today, but failed to do so.

#75 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Did I see that bloke from Gerry and the pacemakers at the end of the game?

The Bloke in the striped shirt, does remind you of Gerry, think it was Mike Coleman, the clubs Major shareholder.

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

The Bloke in the striped shirt, does remind you of Gerry, think it was Mike Coleman, the clubs Major shareholder.

Ah, thanks. Does he have a tribute band to generate more cash?

#77 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

When both teams are playing well then I think you are spot on.  I really don't think there is another match up in this hemisphere which comes close.  For the most part, both teams play well in the derby (ie historically, not just during the superleague era) and that is largely because the derby has been going since 1895 (and so there is a lot of history and competition involved) and each side has hardly ever been out of the higher reaches of the league.  During Superleague there have been the odd blow out matches, primarily at Magic weekends.  For example, we trounced Wigan one year something like 50 to 12 and last year Wigan trounced us.  But then you look back to as recently as 2011 and there was an absolute belter at the DW where we lost in the last 30 seconds.  Last year was probably the lowest point in this derby for a while but last night showed that even with two of our best players out, their two best players out, and us losing three during the match, we produced some outstanding rugby to nick it from them in the last few minutes.  Last night showed us Saints fans that there is still life in the old derby yet!

Edited by Saintslass, 23 July 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#78 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

The disciplinary should have give them a "really good battering" today, but failed to do so.

just shows the one eyedness of some fans, fans screaming for a player to be sent off when the only player that deserved sending off was wilkin for stamping on charnleys hand.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#79 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

just shows the one eyedness of some fans, fans screaming for a player to be sent off when the only player that deserved sending off was wilkin for stamping on charnleys hand.

Now that's just silly.  He no more stamped on Charnley's hand than Tomkins scored a try.

#80 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

dirtiest player in super league wilkin and one of the most underhand.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users