League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

22/07/13 - St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Wigan Warriors (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

dirtiest player in super league wilkin and one of the most underhand.

And He's calling me "one eyed".

#82 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

:D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#83 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

one of the most underhand.

Would imagine that's the most difficult position from which to stamp on someone's hand.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#84 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

When both teams are playing well then I think you are spot on.  I really don't think there is another match up in this hemisphere which comes close.  For the most part, both teams play well in the derby (ie historically, not just during the superleague era) and that is largely because the derby has been going since 1895 (and so there is a lot of history and competition involved) and each side has hardly ever been out of the higher reaches of the league.

True recently, but St Helens weren't really a particularly successful club until the second world war.  Prior to that they didn't really do much on the pitch, and often finished below St Helens Recs in the league.

I'd be interested to know if there was ever a rivalry between Saints and St Helens Recs, and when Wigan started taking St Helens seriously as a local rival.

That's me.  I'm done.

#85 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

True recently, but St Helens weren't really a particularly successful club until the second world war.  Prior to that they didn't really do much on the pitch, and often finished below St Helens Recs in the league.

I'd be interested to know if there was ever a rivalry between Saints and St Helens Recs, and when Wigan started taking St Helens seriously as a local rival.

Listening to my Granddad in years gone by, there was fierce rivalry between the Recs and Saints. We used to live opposite the Recs ground.

#86 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

During the St H v St H Recs rivalary Wigan's local rivals were Leigh.
My father used to say Saints only came to life after Jim Sullivan went to coach them.
Prior to that, he reckoned, they were nowhere.

#87 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

In my time watching the game I can think of few occasions when both teams have been on top at the same time. In fact, I am struggling to think of a time when Wigan and Saints fought it out for top dog - maybe only 96? For the period up to 85, Saints were much better, Wigan were then much better for the next decade, then after 97 till Maguire Saints were clearly better for most of the time. Wigan have become very good in the last 4 years when Saints have been saying goodbye to their superstars and in relative decline.

Leeds - Wigan games have generally been superb since around 2000. Some amazing games along the way.

#88 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

:laugh:

#89 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Not so sure about the claim regarding our pre WW2 success:

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/club/30

We were also the first club to appear at a Challenge Cup final, along with Batley, who beat us. 

Here's our derby match history with Wigan, care of the rather wonderful Saints Heritage Society:

http://www.saints.or...s.php?seq=Wigan

Here's our derby match history with the Recs:

http://www.saints.or...St. Helens Recs

I do believe we had a rivalry with the Recs when they were around and if memory serves the Recs were the stronger team in St Helens at the outset.  I couldn't say really whether the rivalry between the Recs or Wigan was greater as I wasn't around then and such things are pretty subjective IMO.  But I rather think that our rivalry with Wigan predates WW2!

#90 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

True recently, but St Helens weren't really a particularly successful club until the second world war. Prior to that they didn't really do much on the pitch, and often finished below St Helens Recs in the league.

Saints did play in the first CC final and lost 1 or 2 more before WW2 but I think recs we're the first team to win something out of the two of them. As you say it was only after the war that Saints started winning things

#91 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

As for the Wigan v Saints rivalry.
Up to 2010 they have played 332 games,
Wigan have won 195,
Saints 120,
With 17 drawn games.

From Bilko's site.

#92 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

As for the Wigan v Saints rivalry.
Up to 2010 they have played 332 games,
Wigan have won 195,
Saints 120,
With 17 drawn games.

From Bilko's site.

Sky informed the RL watching world of the same stats on Monday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users