Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tackle Count for Under 7s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

I recently discovered that one of the junior clubs, where I now live, complete game statistics for all of their teams; starting with the under 7s. Some of the data that they compile include the tackle count, the number of hit-ups and the amount of metres covered for each individual player.

It's Kawana Dolphins in Queensland. I was surprised that this level of assessment starts at such a young age. Are any of you involved with junior teams that compile such data?

#2 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Do they compile dats on how much fun tge kids are having? That should be the primary KPI at yhst age.

#3 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

We would not encourage that at primary level age groups as it serves no real purpose as children at this age should be playing for fun and developing without pressure those stats are more for the adults egos not the kids .

#4 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Do they compile dats on how much fun tge kids are having? That should be the primary KPI at yhst age.

We would not encourage that at primary level age groups as it serves no real purpose as children at this age should be playing for fun and developing without pressure those stats are more for the adults egos not the kids .

I agree with both of you!

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,690 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

I've seen so many kids walk away from the game because they have had enough of the pressure put on them as a kid.

The gym that our players go to is owned by one such kid, by the time he was just 16 he was forcing himself into Doncaster's RLFC first team, at 17 he walked away from the game, he is now only 22 or 23 and just started to do the odd training session with us (fingers crossed that his mates can get the kid back playing)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

A lad I used to teach was pulled aside by the 'manager' (ie, one of the other kid's dads) at the start of preseason training at the local football club and told, "I'm sorry X, you're not what I'm looking for this year."

The lad was 11 and had been playing with his friends for this particular team since he was six.

Inadequate 'grown ups' have a great flair for ruining sport for kids whatever shape the ball is,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users