Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RLWC2013 celebrate 100 days to go

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

29d025e02f28eb9d0a92446cab92f02a.jpg

Today, Thursday July 18 marks 100 days to go to the kick-off of Rugby League World Cup 2013 and organisers are predicting a hectic final phase, with even stronger ticket sales as interest continues to build in both hemispheres.

Click here to view the article

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Unfortunate choice of hash tag there #findourballs

There's a lot of strange people on that twitter.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I actually think this is a clever idea. I've seen lots of updates on Facebook. I expect its raising awareness and interest at minimal expense. I'm pleasantly surprised at the concept.

#4 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Must be doing a good job at raising awareness for ticket sales as the eticketing site has been giving me a runtime error since mid morning so can't get in to buy more tickets!

#5 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Must be doing a good job at raising awareness for ticket sales as the eticketing site has been giving me a runtime error since mid morning so can't get in to buy more tickets!

I had that yesterday; bloody annoying! I restarted my computer and it seemed to work.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I actually think this is a clever idea. I've seen lots of updates on Facebook. I expect its raising awareness and interest at minimal expense. I'm pleasantly surprised at the concept.

Yep - quite a nice simple idea that seems to be creating a buzz.

#7 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I suspect the double entendre of #findourballs was deliberate!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

29d025e02f28eb9d0a92446cab92f02a.jpg

interest continues to build in both hemispheres.

99% of Aussies don't even know there's a WC taking place this year.

Edited by deluded pom?, 18 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

im sure thats not true.
They may not be able to go into much detail but rl fans over there will be aware there's a wc on.

In the pr last week it said tour sales were good. How true that is i have no idea.

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

4023497.jpg

Posted Image

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

im sure thats not true.
They may not be able to go into much detail but rl fans over there will be aware there's a wc on.

In the pr last week it said tour sales were good. How true that is i have no idea.

You'd be surprised how ignorant of the WC the average Aussie supporter is Dave. The recent announcement that 7 have the TV rights may have alerted a few. hutch, an Aussie who posts on here sometimes, posted on one of the forums recently that he was the only one among his friends, who are all avid RL fans and played the game to varying degrees, who was aware of a WC taking place in 2013.

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

You'd be surprised how ignorant of the WC the average Aussie supporter is Dave. The recent announcement that 7 have the TV rights may have alerted a few. hutch, an Aussie who posts on here sometimes, posted on one of the forums recently that he was the only one among his friends, who are all avid RL fans and played the game to varying degrees, who was aware of a WC taking place in 2013.

Well then they are clearly all morons.

Posted Image

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I actually don't believe them though.

There are plenty of fans who use forums and the internet and it is mentioned in plenty of places. Their fans will be aware what their national team will be doing each year, they will know that the Kangaroos are coming over for a WC. They may not be able to name venues or much else about it, but they will know about it.

On the NRL.com homepage their is an article about England RL selection for the WC.

I've been to Oz a few times, and I do find many of the ones I met quite inward looking, but ultimately their crowds at the last world cup were better than ours, and with a smaller population. 300k of them turned up to only 18 games.

#14 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

If its true what you say then its a shame not more Aussies are aware of the WC. However it's far more important that the British people are made aware of the tourno as we're the ones who'll be attending the matches, buying merchandise, helping increase UK viewing figures etc. This kind of promotion isn't a bad start with still 100 days to go. I hope they continue and build some momentum.

#15 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

It's funny that should be mentioned 're the Aussie's I watch virtually every nrl game each week on prem sports and the commentators do mention on occasion that a particular player may be playing in this year's wc but there is always a slightly dismissive quality to the comment. I'm sure it would be different if it were hosted in Australia, not a dig at the aus, but they would put more iinto it if they were getting more from it.
I think that now more than ever the aus really need and perhaps want a genuine challenge at international level to spark some interest.

#16 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

I know the World Cup is on !

But I agree, most of my RL-loving friends here in OZ either don't know it's on or care little – which, I'd argue, is because of the poor way international RL/RLWC has been treated / scheduled over the years.

Channel 9 and FoxTel NOT buying the rights means they are less inclined to mention it on their telecasts.

#17 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

Well then they are clearly all morons.

Thanks, ill be sure to pass the message on. One of them played around 100 games in the nrl, one played professionally in France and all are fans, members and or former players of reasonable junior success. I wouldn't call them morons as they have all been very successful in their respective careers. But only one knew the World Cup was on this year and the others had no idea who would even play in a World Cup. Some were dismissive, some were semi interested but all would list rugby league as their favourite sport.
The real issue here, as deluded pom has informed you is that there has been ZERO publicity for the World Cup here in Australia. Unless you actively seek it out, you would not know it is on. The conversation came up during a BBQ we were having during the second origin game, passionate rugby league fans just do not know the World Cup is on because the nrl does not promote the international side of the sport and the mainstream press basically ignore it as well. It is improving but we have a long way to go.

Edited by hutch, 19 July 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#18 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

not sure if anyone else heard it, but Martin Offiah was on BBC Radio 5 live with Phil Williams last night at about 11.40 for 20 minutes. Really great, live interview, which really talked up rugby league and the upcoming world cup. The #findourballs campaign got a lot of coverage, which looking at twitter will be only growing stronger throughout the day. 

The other major point that was mentioned, that I haven't seen anywhere else, is that Radio 5 live will be covering ALL matches live. Now I assume that some, if not most will be on sports extra, but, even if they are, this is a huge coup for the tournament during the football season.

All we need to do now is focus on starting to sell out some of the games, as soon as this happens people will have to start getting their tickets.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,989 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

99% in the UK wont know either until it starts to be shown on the BBC ( For matches shown only on Premier sports no-one apart from a couple of thousand RL fans will know about it)

CM

Any comments on this latest initiative?

What did you do differently that time you ran that really successful World Cup?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

I honestly think that wether permitting it is going to be a great tournament. If I am honest I don't really care about SL at the moment, it's all about the WC this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users