RLWC2013 celebrate 100 days to go

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I think people will be really surprised by this tournament. If we start getting pre-sales towards 300k-400k I have no doubt the BBC's ears will ##### up and they will want some more of the action.

The fact that places like Rochdale, Workington, Old Trafford, Avignon etc. could be sold out well in advance of the tournament really shows its potential. Why? Because of the spread of teams in games at those venues. It would not surprise me to see near full houses for all England group games too.

#22 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think that now more than ever the aus really need and perhaps want a genuine challenge at international level to spark some interest.

Well they got a genuine challenge in the last one: they didn't win it!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#23 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

99% in the UK wont know either until it starts to be shown on the BBC ( For matches shown only on Premier sports no-one apart from a couple of thousand RL fans will know about it)

CM

The World Cup will be shown on the BBC.

The BBC are showing all three of England's pool matches which includes the opener at Cardiff, one quarter final, one semi final and the final.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#24 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Also all matches from the World Cup will be live on BBC Radio 5 Live, fronted by George Riley according to the Phil Williams show last night        http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b036xyh5 just after the 11.30 news was the conversation with Martin Offiah.

#25 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

facebook-timeli.jpg

World Cup Family Stand tickets almost gone By Ian Golden | 19/07/2013

Rugby League World Cup organisers in Neath are delighted to announce that the Family Stand at The Gnoll has virtually sold out for the Wales v Cook Islands match on Sunday 11th November (kick-off 2pm).

Just 22 tickets remain for this stand, the cheapest price bracket in regards to seating, but they are no longer available from the Rugby League World Cup website. These can only be bought from the official Neath RFC and South Wales Scorpions websites.

This news comes less than two weeks before the actual World Cup trophy arrives in Neath as part of the UK-wide trophy tour.

The Family Stand tickets have been snapped up mainly by school parties following a surge of interest as news of the trophy coming to The Gnoll escalates.

Phil Davies, chairman of South Wales Scorpions and Neath RFC, said: “We’re delighted that the Family Stand for Wales v Cooks Islands is close to selling out. It shows that popularity for the World Cup in Neath is increasing, especially amongst schools.

“As a result of this, sales in other areas are also increasing, The Town End ‘shed’ terrace behind the goal is going well and there are just 415 tickets available in the Grandstand.

“We are confident that we will have a sell out before the day of the match and we advise all fans to buy their tickets sooner rather than later.

“In the meantime, if you want to have your photo taken with the actual World Cup trophy, please turn up at The Gnoll on Sunday 28th July for South Wales Scorpions’ match against Gateshead Thunder which kicks off at the earlier time of 1pm. We’re expecting a big interest so you can book your photographs for free on our website www.scorpionsrl.com.”

#26 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

If the tournament achieves its goal of having over 500,000 spectators, it will be hard for the media to ignore it. Sure those numbers aren't as big as what the Olympics, Cricket, Soccer or Union World Cups get, but it is still a big number.

I have to admit I'm impressed how this tournament is coming along. Sure it would be great if we had sold a million tickets and had more sponsors, but things are ticking over and we are on track for our biggest World Cup ever which is the most important thing.
Posted Image

#27 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

For the 2011 Cricket World Cup, no attendance figures were released (suspicious), but for 2007 in the West Indies there was a total attendance of 672,000 at an average of 13,176. Don't think we will be far behind that average. Will we have a claim to the third biggest World Cup in Britain soon?

And we are clearly a long way behind RU, but you only have to see how far they have come since Britain hosted the 1999 World Cup, which had to be spread across Britain and into France because there wasn't enough interest to stage it all in England. The RU World Cup lacked an identity, struggled to find the right format - but then it got it right and now look at it.

I'm not always a fan of comparing us to other sports, as we must develop at our own pace, but these can be used for two things:
- make us realise we at a bad stage at all in terms of crowd figures if tickets continue to sell at the reported rate.
- make us realise how we can improve if we have patience and settle upon a format and settled year margin between World Cups.

Edited by JonNgog, 20 July 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#28 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Just a little heads up that the '100 days' code for half price tickets was still working when I bought a few more this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users