League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Changes to State of Origin Series

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: State of Origin Poll (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What changes should be made to State of Origin seires?

1. None - leave it alone it's brilliant as it is (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Stand-alone series and combine it with Origin U20's maybe also U18s and U16s (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Stand alone series with a Pacific 4 Nations Comp and maybe a New Zealand Origin Comp (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Just have a stand alone series (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Another idea - state below (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

A stand alone Origin series has been tried in the past - in 2001.

At that time there was a lot of complaints in the media about lack of footy.

12 years have passed and maybe things have changed.

Perhaps there could be a break in the NRL season for three weekends when State of Origin could take pride of place but be supplemented with other top level and youth level footy.

The 2013 series has been great. Each of the three games has had it's own strong features:

1.  a NSW win in Sydney and a controversial Gallen punching bout.
  2.  a QLD victory in Brisbane with four players sin binned for fighting while QLD squared the series in a dominating display
  3.  a close fought decider that QLD just clinched, no thanks to an idiotic streaker who could have cost them and the game dearly.

In other words with a bit of thought we don't have to have just Origin there's plenty of other attractive game that could be staged to make the time a feast of representative rugby league.

The TV companies who've paid a lot of money for their coverage would have to be convinced that they would also gain from any changes.

The current set up has  given us a succession of great Origin series.

The mid week fixtures though have diminished the NRL rounds that run before the games with all the top players sitting them out.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Maybe play all three State of Origin games over a week with 2 weekends and 1 midweek  with no NRL matches on the 2 weekends the two weekend games on the Saturday Nights with the midweek game 2 on the Wednesday night

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

If it's a question of what I'd like to see, then I'd have a stand alone Origin series, with an international programme with as many of the Pacific nations involved as possible.

But if you asked me what I think will happen - absolutely nothing. We'll all be back here same time next year talking about the same thing.

#4 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Maybe play all three State of Origin games over a week with 2 weekends and 1 midweek with no NRL matches on the 2 weekends the two weekend games on the Saturday Nights with the midweek game 2 on the Wednesday night

Please tell me you're joking.

It's time to park the camels.

#5 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

Stand alone series with a Pacific 4 Nations Comp and a New Zealand Origin Comp as well as combing it with Origin U20's

Posted Image

#6 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Leave it as it is for me. Yes it disrupts the league a bit and creates issues for SOO players but not beyond reason. I think part of its appeal is that it's a bit of an "optional extra" but with bite. I think creating its own unique window would give it a kind of lofty importance over and above the league season, which I wouldn't like. For the players of course it's huge but you shouldn't take away their responsibility to back up for their club sides. I would worry that separating SOO could damage NRL and the 2 need to be perfect partners with all SOO participants never forgetting that without NRL and its huge popularity, SOO would be nothing.

#7 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hmm ? Interesting outlook DSK .

Wonder what would happen if the Challenge Cup ties got thrown in 'mid week' .

Yes I know that's a larger group but S.O.O is a full on representative set of fixtures.

Having it as a Stand Alone set of fixtures could actually be better for the NRL clubs.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#8 simonwref

simonwref
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

The only thing that should change is the fixture scheduling either side of it. The grand final replay between the doggies and the storm wad a no contest, because of origin and should have been a great advert for the nrl.

#9 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Stand alone weekend with 4 nations for P.I.'s alongside one game rotated for promotion of SOO in Melbourne/Auckland/Perth/Wellington and Adelaide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users