Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

West Bank

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Have pulled out if the conference

#2 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Wow. Anybody know the reasons why? Bit dissspointing to lose any club.

#3 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Shame if its true, played against them in nwc a few years back, they were a very good young side

Edited by sbull, 18 July 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#4 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I meant to add, is this immediate or do they simply plan to not compete in next years competition?

Edited by Spidey, 18 July 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#5 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hope this aint true some good folk at west bank.
Agree with S.Bull for once a very good young side.

#6 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Heard they have dropped out due to cost of travel and lads not wanting to travel. And will b looking to rejoin the nwml next year.

#7 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

one home game in 3 months could also have been a factor. Fixture list has been rubbish, no continuity at all, odd number of teams and smallest league in the conference

#8 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Home game on 11th May, then 29th June next one due 27th July

#9 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

They're still third in the league, normally when a team wants to pull out they struggle on the field, this is something West Bank haven't this is what I'm most suprised with.

If its down to cash I can understand, its still a shame

#10 Ryan hair

Ryan hair
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Fixture lists need to be seriously looked at as can be seen with West Bank pulling out. I think ince rose bridge had something like 9 games away on the bounce which is ridiculous on the players and also on the clubs finances. I know people will say you play them at home aswell but this can seriously affect the clubs cash flow. I think we will see more teams dropping out.

#11 cheesecretary

cheesecretary
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Real shame to see if true a team pull out for financial reasons, however can fully understand the descision taken to protect the future of their club

#12 Mr Pringle

Mr Pringle
  • Coach
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Surely clubs know what the travel will be like in there prospective leagues before applying for the NCL?? Looking at that division it could be worse!

As well as the travel costs they may be struggling to raise a decent team on a weekly basis.

Saw them play other week at Shaw Cross and they only travelled with 14 players. One of which was sent off. If they are struggling for players then dismissals dont help!

Good team as well. Gave a decent Shaw Cross side a very good game in tough conditions (was baking hot!!!)

#13 terryg

terryg
  • Coach
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Surely clubs know what the travel will be like in there prospective leagues before applying for the NCL?? Looking at that division it could be worse!

As well as the travel costs they may be struggling to raise a decent team on a weekly basis.

Saw them play other week at Shaw Cross and they only travelled with 14 players. One of which was sent off. If they are struggling for players then dismissals dont help!

Good team as well. Gave a decent Shaw Cross side a very good game in tough conditions (was baking hot!!!)

Travel probably wouldn't be a problem if the fixture list had been fair. To afford travel costs you need to be at home alternate weeks otherwise where is the money coming from for the coach trips and general running of the club?

#14 super_reff

super_reff
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Agree Terry.

Fixtures need to alternate home/away as near to as possible.

Can't expect amateur players to travel away 4/5 weeks on the bounce, it's a full day away from the family/mornings off work etc.
www.procompress.co.uk

#15 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I suppose its getting the right balance, before the start of the seasons the clubs were asked for special requests for fixtures (ie local fixture, or specifically home or away) for the most part these were accommodated but by the look of things had some negative impact on others

We're fortunate in the most part that we secure sponsorship for our travel costs so we know that income is guaranteed and sorted out before the season kicks off, so it doesn't matter from a cash flow point of view if a few away trips come at once

#16 impartial

impartial
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

The fixture situation has been nothing less than diabolical one example Ince Rose Bridge have just completed a ten match run in which thet had to play nine games away three in Hull and One in cumbria. No wonder lads dont want to play, and the cost to the individual clubs. But, i feel it will continue to happen

#17 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Don't clubs in the NCL check their fixtures at the start of a season and get the chance to make a comment ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#18 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Don't clubs in the NCL check their fixtures at the start of a season and get the chance to make a comment ?

I certainly did, there were 3 weekends for us that needed to be sorted, and with communication with the league and other clubs was resolved well in advance of the dates in question.   Its something I've learned from past experience to do

I think some of the anomalies for some of the clubs were brought upon fixtures being brought forward from the back end of the season into backlog weekends

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

If this weather is going to keep up for a few more weeks I'd be looking at playing on a Friday night so the game is played in cooler temperatures

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#20 Ryan hair

Ryan hair
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good idea on local sides marauder. Will be a little harder if any distance has to be travelled. The clubs do know what the cost of travel is before the season begins. I help run a side so we know our travel costs. What does place pressure on the club is cash flow. Our club had a trip to Wigan then 2 trips to Cumbria earlier on in the season. The three coaches were £2500 which i personally paid untill we had a few home games to pay me back. Not ideal but when needs must!!! We are constantly fund raising but again planned throughout the season so it's hard when fixtures are changed/amended during the season so constant revenue from your home games is crucial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users