Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

West Bank

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Good idea on local sides marauder. Will be a little harder if any distance has to be travelled. The clubs do know what the cost of travel is before the season begins. I help run a side so we know our travel costs. What does place pressure on the club is cash flow. Our club had a trip to Wigan then 2 trips to Cumbria earlier on in the season. The three coaches were £2500 which i personally paid untill we had a few home games to pay me back. Not ideal but when needs must!!! We are constantly fund raising but again planned throughout the season so it's hard when fixtures are changed/amended during the season so constant revenue from your home games is crucial.

The cost of a coach in the summer is a lot more as well and they become like rocking horse poo if you can't book well in advance.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Nine consecutive away games is ridiculous and the fixture secretary needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the bathroom mirror tomorrow. How can a club afford to finance a run of away games like that if they don't have their travel sponsored?

rldfsignature.jpg

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Nine consecutive away games is ridiculous and the fixture secretary needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the bathroom mirror tomorrow. How can a club afford to finance a run of away games like that if they don't have their travel sponsored?

How many pro clubs could?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Lot of sympathy for West Bank, it looks like they have been a victim of the fixture list,

The big question is, will lessons be learned are do the people responsible for sorting the fixtures consider they have done nothing wrong?

It's difficult not only to finance but to keep the players turning up when you have so many away games,

The only positive is West Bank are a good team and will soon rebuild, and if they ever decide to re apply to the NCL at a later date, I would hope clubs would not hold this agaist um and remember the ffixture list they had to contend with.

And I'm speaking from an IRB point of veiw who have just played 9 of the last 10 games away, but what's done is done, I just hope the people responsible are big enougth to take responsibility and admit they have got it wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Edited by sbull, 19 July 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#25 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

What will happen now they gone, will less teams go down from that Division or more teams be promoted?

#26 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

The fixture secretary doesnt make mistakes - or does he?

#27 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

With struggling for player numbers aswel if they cudnt get a team they wud of gt £1000 fine and been relegated aswel so was prob only option they had. Shame tht this has had to happen again. In such hard economic times ud think the ncl wud try and help teams out not tighten the noose wen they on the brink.

#28 wilso

wilso
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Lot of sympathy for West Bank, it looks like they have been a victim of the fixture list,

West Bank have played more home games (7) this year than they have away (6).

#29 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

With struggling for player numbers aswel if they cudnt get a team they wud of gt £1000 fine and been relegated aswel so was prob only option they had. Shame tht this has had to happen again. In such hard economic times ud think the ncl wud try and help teams out not tighten the noose wen they on the brink.

I think the only help West Bank would have needed is a more balanced fixture list, playing so many away games clearly has an affect on player availability before we even discuss finances.

Clubs where given the the chance to re arrange fixtures when the fixture list come out, so this would obviously have an affect on the imbalance of home and away games, and although I'm criticising the people responsible I do under stand it was a difficult job.

My point being, it would be verry difficult to forgive them again if they didn't learn from the mistakes made this season.

To protect against this is very simple, no team should be forced to play more than two games away without an home game being played, how ever difficult it may be we can put men on the moon so I'm sure this can be resolved.

Think I'm doing well here, three post and not mentioned the switch yet lol, seriously though I hope lessons can be learned, we all make mistakes the hard part is admitting it, does anybody on the NCL committee agree?

#30 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

As someone who compiles fixtures for six age groups over a full season using several different fixture formats and no format throws more than two home/ away fixtures together . So how a team ends up with several consecutive away fixtures baffles me .

#31 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

As someone who compiles fixtures for six age groups over a full season using several different fixture formats and no format throws more than two home/ away fixtures together . So how a team ends up with several consecutive away fixtures baffles me .

With that record if I was I charge of the NCL fixtures list , I would ask for your assistance, I hope they think the same way and not to proud to ask for help,

#32 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

The fixture format was raised at the last NCL clubs meeting and discussed at length. It will be number 1 priority going forward . The NCL  relied upon RFL software  this year and we may have to go back to more trusted methods. Alan P over in Hull please  take note.  That said all clubs had their full lists prior to kick off......and I do not think that any club asking for reasoned alterations were knocked back.......

West Bank 's issues are complex. I'm not sure they have bar taking facilities so the fixture formula alone is not to blame. They will be making their case to Management before any decisions are made.Some of their problems will no doubt be shared by others. They will get a sympathetic hearing but the NCL has to be consistent to be fair to all...

No doubt lessons will be learned........

#33 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

The fixture format was raised at the last NCL clubs meeting and discussed at length. It will be number 1 priority going forward . The NCL  relied upon RFL software  this year and we may have to go back to more trusted methods. Alan P over in Hull please  take note.  That said all clubs had their full lists prior to kick off......and I do not think that any club asking for reasoned alterations were knocked back.......

West Bank 's issues are complex. I'm not sure they have bar taking facilities so the fixture formula alone is not to blame. They will be making their case to Management before any decisions are made.Some of their problems will no doubt be shared by others. They will get a sympathetic hearing but the NCL has to be consistent to be fair to all...

No doubt lessons will be learned........

Well it's a good start that you admit lessons will be learnt, but if you used the RFL software I didn't notice any pro teams playing 9 away games!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong del capo and I would really appreciate an answer on this one,
When the fixtures come out, does it really take a piece of software to tel you that it doesn't make sense for Wath Brow to travel to St pats and IRB to travel to Egremont on a Wednesday night, when IRB walk to St pats and the other two teams are only a stones throw away,

Reference West Bank, it isn't just bar taking, it's gate receipt, raffles ect, you miss out on, I would still think that the fixtures played a big part in it.

#34 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Don't blame RFL software, garbage in garbage out.  The idiot that published the fixtures produced by this method should be put out to pasture.  It is relatively easy to produce fixtures to give alternate home and away games ( there will be two together at halfway), even producing three away games in a row smacks of incompetence.

As Taxi Egg states, he and his fellow fixture secretaries have been churning out credible systems for donkey's ages yet the 'best run amateur league' fails miserably.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#35 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I know cost comes into it but to be honest what I've heard and people I speak to the lads just wouldn't commit to training and playing away.

#36 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

Not the first time n wont be the last time this fixture chaos has occurred unless we move to monthly released fixtures as opposed to annual fixtures.
Great comments made about no more than two away fixtures being made in succession.
But will the fixture secretary take this on board?
I dont think he will even after last weeks grilling at the ncl meeting. Time for new blood in this capacity me thinks.

#37 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Supposedly lads have asked for transfers now and the coach is refusing releases as he doesnt wnt them goin to a certain team. even tho these lads originally played for the club they wnt to rejoin he is tryin to stop them rejoinin. its open age amateur rugby how can any1 possibly stop u playin for who u wnt to esp wen u dnt get paid. And rumour has it david lowe has asked the club these players wish to tranfer to not to sign any yet til something is rectified. Seems abit funny to me esp if they havent got a team anymore.

#38 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Supposedly lads have asked for transfers now and the coach is refusing releases as he doesnt wnt them goin to a certain team. even tho these lads originally played for the club they wnt to rejoin he is tryin to stop them rejoinin. its open age amateur rugby how can any1 possibly stop u playin for who u wnt to esp wen u dnt get paid. And rumour has it david lowe has asked the club these players wish to tranfer to not to sign any yet til something is rectified. Seems abit funny to me esp if they havent got a team anymore.

They re grouping next season? Bet he scared of losing them for good.

#39 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Ye but come end of this season thy can sign for who ever thy like and surely by stopping lads playing like tht it cud back fire and result in animosity due to this and result in lads leaving for good.

#40 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not the first time n wont be the last time this fixture chaos has occurred unless we move to monthly released fixtures as opposed to annual fixtures.
Great comments made about no more than two away fixtures being made in succession.
But will the fixture secretary take this on board?
I dont think he will even after last weeks grilling at the ncl meeting. Time for new blood in this capacity me thinks.

I think the members need to be doing a bit more telling and a lot less asking, the NCL committee are there to serve its members,
I don't think any one member would disagree that a club should not play more than two away games , this is something that you don't even need a debate on, it's basic common sence, repermand the ones responsible and make sure it doesn't happen again, IT'S THAT SIMPLE, no club to play more than two games away,

Can we agree on this one Del capo, ? Are you prepare to put it on the block and action this most basic request?