Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

West Bank

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Don't blame RFL software, garbage in garbage out.  The idiot that published the fixtures produced by this method should be put out to pasture.  It is relatively easy to produce fixtures to give alternate home and away games ( there will be two together at halfway), even producing three away games in a row smacks of incompetence.

As Taxi Egg states, he and his fellow fixture secretaries have been churning out credible systems for donkey's ages yet the 'best run amateur league' fails miserably.

Perhaps giving Clubs the option of a `free date', together with the NCL Cup not being a mandatory competition, has taken it's toll on the fixture lists.    In years gone by we didn't get the chance of a free date, and all NCL Clubs were entered into the National Cup, and I can't remember problems like have been reported this season.  Just a thought :sclerosis: . 

#42 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

To b fair West Bank were admitted to ncl with a very week infrastructure that was never likely to succeed! The last time they had made reginal premier statusvwas 1999? They were admitted Imo to keep a widnes team in conference after st maries leaving. They were inducted after a half decent season in nwc divisin 2. If this isnt proof they were rushed in then i dnt knw wot is.

#43 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

To b fair West Bank were admitted to ncl with a very week infrastructure that was never likely to succeed! The last time they had made reginal premier statusvwas 1999? They were admitted Imo to keep a widnes team in conference after st maries leaving. They were inducted after a half decent season in nwc divisin 2. If this isnt proof they were rushed in then i dnt knw wot is.

I don't think it was just an half decent season, no one could get near them,and they were unlucky not to win the final of the Lancashire cup from memory, I could be wrong but I think the veteran in there team was 23 at the time,

#44 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

People can point at the fixtures as the reason for West Bank leaving the league, and I'd agree that they need looking at, but how many times have they been in front of the Disciplinary panel? By my reckoning it's 17 in a season and a half. They've had players sin binned and sent off more that any club in the NCL since their admission, but they whine about not been able to raise a team?! It's because they're always banned.

It's a shame to see any team leave the NCL, and they have some very very good players there, but they've played a huge part in their downfall!!

#45 samsung

samsung
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

People can point at the fixtures as the reason for West Bank leaving the league, and I'd agree that they need looking at, but how many times have they been in front of the Disciplinary panel? By my reckoning it's 17 in a season and a half. They've had players sin binned and sent off more that any club in the NCL since their admission, but they whine about not been able to raise a team?! It's because they're always banned.

It's a shame to see any team leave the NCL, and they have some very very good players there, but they've played a huge part in their downfall!!

I would agree that their discipline has been poor since they joined. It often takes a season or two to adjust from Regional League discipline to NCL discipline - and I don't think they've made that step up. They must have spent a lot of money on fines, that's for sure!

#46 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nothing to do with fixtures, we all know the fixtures and where we playing home and away before season start. Good team or bad team every other club has got a 17 out week in week out, it's down the the man management and effort put in by a head coach / staff

#47 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Jonnyg28
If only it was that simple!
And before you ask yes I do coach and at an NCL club.

#48 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't think it was just an half decent season, no one could get near them,and they were unlucky not to win the final of the Lancashire cup from memory, I could be wrong but I think the veteran in there team was 23 at the time,

Well they won division 2 of nwc and didnt do it unbeaten, they did well to get into the lancashire cup final but ewt can happen in a cup game. They werent ready to take the big step up to conference rugby at the time and seems they rushed in too soon. I heard wen they first went it they didnt even consult the players and applied with out any player discussions. Seems abit more realistic now this has happend

#49 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Well they won division 2 of nwc and didnt do it unbeaten, they did well to get into the lancashire cup final but ewt can happen in a cup game. They werent ready to take the big step up to conference rugby at the time and seems they rushed in too soon. I heard wen they first went it they didnt even consult the players and applied with out any player discussions. Seems abit more realistic now this has happend

Can't comment on if they consulted there players but it didn't come as a surprise to me they were applying and I'm from Wigan, they have applied previously and were refused, so unless the players are all missing a screw I would assume they knew what there club was planning!, but as always , I could be wrong,
I also agree, anything can happen in a cup game but when you pull a string off wins together it isn't a one off game,

I remember Wigan Tech, a division 4 or 5 side of the nwc beating the current championed of the premier NCL at the time in the national cup, that was a one off game, we got hammers in the next round, if you make it all the way to a final it's because they deserve it, not a fluke.

Credit were credits due

#50 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Can't comment on if they consulted there players but it didn't come as a surprise to me they were applying and I'm from Wigan, they have applied previously and were refused, so unless the players are all missing a screw I would assume they knew what there club was planning!, but as always , I could be wrong,
I also agree, anything can happen in a cup game but when you pull a string off wins together it isn't a one off game,
I remember Wigan Tech, a division 4 or 5 side of the nwc beating the current championed of the premier NCL at the time in the national cup, that was a one off game, we got hammers in the next round, if you make it all the way to a final it's because they deserve it, not a fluke.
Credit were credits due

Theres no disputing they deserved credit for gettin there but to fast track them to ncl coz they got to a lancashire cup and won the 3rd teir of the nwc at the time was prob a major factor in the eventual withdrawl of the team.

#51 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Theres no disputing they deserved credit for gettin there but to fast track them to ncl coz they got to a lancashire cup and won the 3rd teir of the nwc at the time was prob a major factor in the eventual withdrawl of the team.

Nonsense, they fulfilled the criteria and were accepted into the NCL.   Whatever their reasons they have withdrawn, you obviously have your knife in them but you are getting repetitive and your grammar is painful to read.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#52 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Nonsense, they fulfilled the criteria and were accepted into the NCL.   Whatever their reasons they have withdrawn, you obviously have your knife in them but you are getting repetitive and your grammar is painful to read.

Didnt realise u was the grammar police, if u have a problem then dont read it ye tool. Ive spoke to the players and this is what they have told me. So it may b repetitive but its come straight from the horses mouth. I dnt have a problem with the club, im pointing out flaws in the way the conference accepted them in what imo was too soon for the club, and as a result tht may have been a factor in the withdrawal 2 yrs after gettin in.

#53 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Considering they were challenging for promotion to division one the playing standards were fine so promoting them from whatever division they were in prior to NCL wasn't the issue

Edited by Spidey, 23 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#54 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Jonnyg28
If only it was that simple!
And before you ask yes I do coach and at an NCL club.

Edited by jonnyg28, 23 July 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#55 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Perhaps some clubs/players just don't want to traval, some clubs may want to see what's its like and then relies giving up a full Saturday traveling hundreds of miles isn't for them, if you think about it logically, if you can get a game locally each week of a good standard, why traval!!!

#56 6brackendale

6brackendale
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

West Bank do have some cracking players and I do feel for the lads that really wanted to play in the NCL. West Banks dicipline has really let them down - I think both a player and the club are supposed to be before the NCL dicipline next week. What has really annoyed me is the £400 quid we spent in bus travel going to West Bank for a game that we really did not now need to play
Perhaps the NCL could use all the fines taken from West Bank (there is a bucket full) to pay back the teams that have paid out to travel ?

#57 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Credit were credits due

I remember that only too well :(

#58 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

I also agree, anything can happen in a cup game but when you pull a string off wins together it isn't a one off game,I remember Wigan Tech, a division 4 or 5 side of the nwc beating the current championed of the premier NCL at the time in the national cup, that was a one off game, we got hammers in the next round, if you make it all the way to a final it's because they deserve it, not a fluke.
Credit were credits due

I remember that only too well :(

Me to, I was injured for that game, I played in the one after when we got hammered lol

#59 old bird

old bird
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

If this is true then West Bank need to ask some questions internally and the NCL have lots of questions

Poor show Oldham st Anne's have no game this week cos of this and will have costs of coach travel to cover have NCL thought of this when accepted West Bank step down

#60 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

If this is true then West Bank need to ask some questions internally and the NCL have lots of questions

Poor show Oldham st Anne's have no game this week cos of this and will have costs of coach travel to cover have NCL thought of this when accepted West Bank step down

With regards to playing standards they can't of been to bad as they were top in their respective division weren't they? Just a case of only 14/15 players travelling away and the lads that made the effort weren't happy with the lads that kept letting them down. But they have a 2nd team and surely that is there to ensure there is a 17 competing week in week out in ncl??