Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Woods loses Knights claim

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Head Coach of Whitehaven RLFC Dave Woods took York City Knights to court at a three day hearing in Leeds this week, with the judge ruling in the Knights favour that Woods did nothing to contribute to the club staying in the Championship for the 2012 season.

Posted Image

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

That should spice things up a bit for this Sunday...

Posted Image

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

I noticed this bit in the account in the linked article from York's website:- 

Woods was in fact offered a larger amount as a settlement to drop the case than he was awarded by the judge for two months notice pay, even though he was unable to work during this period as he was working for St Helens in Australia throughout October 2011.

I wonder how the costs side of this has been settled.

Could there be lean times ahead for Woods?

#4 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

I think the fact that Dave Woods refused the offer proves it was a matter of principle which was the motivating factor in going to court in the first place.

One can only wonder why that offer was made.

Quite surprised that the club took to it's official website to make public the victory in double-quick time before news emerged from other sources.

I believe he has overcome other setbacks in life and he has been in this country long enough to understand the vagaries of the court system.Why,even the government struggle to get certain individuals deported.

I shall be there Sunday.I hope his players don't let him down.

A legal team prepared to support him,and confident of the case,then wait such a long time to get to court only to be disappointed.I am just pleased he can deal with triumph and disaster and treat such imposters the same. 

Disaster today - Triumph Sunday.

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Quite surprised that the club took to it's official website to make public the victory in double-quick time before news emerged from other sources.

Where else would it appear first?

If it helps it was on LoveRugbyLeague just 2 minutes later...

Posted Image

#6 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think the fact that Dave Woods refused the offer proves it was a matter of principle which was the motivating factor in going to court in the first place.

I believe he has overcome other setbacks in life and he has been in this country long enough to understand the vagaries of the court system.Why,even the government struggle to get certain individuals deported.

A legal team prepared to support him,and confident of the case,then wait such a long time to get to court only to be disappointed.I am just pleased he can deal with triumph and disaster and treat such imposters the same.

Twoblues?

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#7 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Think it proves that the Knights were more  than generous. but Woods was just greedy again.

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

And York are sponsored by a firm of solicitors as well!

#9 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Lets be honest every where Mr Woods has ever been he has been sacked under a financial cloud !
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#10 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Lets be honest every where Mr Woods has ever been he has been sacked under a financial cloud !

But the sides he's been in charge of have been promoted.

Edited by PhilCarrington, 19 July 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#11 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Think it proves that the Knights were more  than generous. but Woods was just greedy again.

Could you point me in the direction of Dave Woods being greedy in the first instance,please ?

At Castleford,where he led them into Super League,they did not wish to give him a further contract. 

At Gateshead,the club was dissolved before any court proceedings could take place.

No doubt you are aware of the money laundering shareholder.

Reading more about this matter it would seem to be a pyrrhic victory at best - with Dave Woods being awarded something on the first of 3 matters. 

Dave Woods was probably unfortunate that another rugby league issue before the courts went in the favour against a club this week.

A bit like the sex discrimination payouts are no longer massive and few get to court.That's the way it goes.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/10561370.York_City_Knights_facing_huge_legal_bill_after_court_battle_with_former_coach_Dave_Woods/

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

It happens a lot in business. Going to court is a very expensive business all round so a settlement might ultimately be cheaper, no matter what the outcome. Pragmatism pure and simple.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

The bloke was working & living in a York pub yet was claiming expenses from the Knights for travelling to York. He also tried to justify a bonus for keeping the Knights in the Chamionship when it was nothing to do with him. I'd say he's a money grabbing #### bag and if it were up to me I'd ban him from the ground but the greedy get will even get his tea from the club tomorrow - and he'll go back for seconds.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#14 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

The bloke was working & living in a York pub yet was claiming expenses from the Knights for travelling to York. He also tried to justify a bonus for keeping the Knights in the Chamionship when it was nothing to do with him. I'd say he's a money grabbing #### bag and if it were up to me I'd ban him from the ground but the greedy get will even get his tea from the club tomorrow - and he'll go back for seconds.

With regard to the living and working in a pub at York I am not certain what the time period is that the court matters refer to.

The bonus matter may refer to whatever was in his contract or a promise made on accepting the terms and conditions.

If you feel there has been any perjury, the case is still a 'perfected order' I am sure the judge would be interested.I feel it is your civic duty to inform the judge.You may also wish to inform the former York player who was perfectly prepared to take the matter to court. 

Perhaps the tea taking Aussie has more than one person in his corner - not for the first time ! 

I do not know what the etiquette is for a home club to prepare refreshments for the visiting players and coaching staff etc.but if it is too much like hard work,too expensive or your club is run by bean counters then there is more than myself who can provide for Mr Woods.

I fail to see how the insult of a 'money grabbing #### bag' is appropriate when,despite everything,he has only been awarded a couple of grand.

For YCK to imply he is responsible for the case taking so long - on what grounds ? - and then state he 'lost' the case given they are now required to lose the sum of money stated in the press is beyond ludicrous - but then your club is one where the owner 'imagined a new stadium' before a councillor put him right. http://www.yorkpress.../9411483.print/

Still,the best piece of spin since Tony Blair had a large proportion of people believe him and mastered the art.

When people resort to insults does it mean they have lost the argument ?  Strange,after such a victory. 

Ban him from the ground after going through due legal process as enshrined in employment law.....?  

#15 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

With regard to the living and working in a pub at York I am not certain what the time period is that the court matters refer to.
The bonus matter may refer to whatever was in his contract or a promise made on accepting the terms and conditions.
If you feel there has been any perjury, the case is still a 'perfected order' I am sure the judge would be interested.I feel it is your civic duty to inform the judge.You may also wish to inform the former York player who was perfectly prepared to take the matter to court.
Perhaps the tea taking Aussie has more than one person in his corner - not for the first time !
I do not know what the etiquette is for a home club to prepare refreshments for the visiting players and coaching staff etc.but if it is too much like hard work,too expensive or your club is run by bean counters then there is more than myself who can provide for Mr Woods.
I fail to see how the insult of a 'money grabbing #### bag' is appropriate when,despite everything,he has only been awarded a couple of grand.
For YCK to imply he is responsible for the case taking so long - on what grounds ? - and then state he 'lost' the case given they are now required to lose the sum of money stated in the press is beyond ludicrous - but then your club is one where the owner 'imagined a new stadium' before a councillor put him right. http://www.yorkpress.../9411483.print/
Still,the best piece of spin since Tony Blair had a large proportion of people believe him and mastered the art.
When people resort to insults does it mean they have lost the argument ? Strange,after such a victory.
Ban him from the ground after going through due legal process as enshrined in employment law.....?

Facts are in the article Paul, he lost the case. Get your tongue out of his backside for once and see the bloke was trying to pull a fast one.

Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Facts are in the article Paul, he lost the case. Get your tongue out of his backside for once and see the bloke was trying to pull a fast one.

However from a quick read of the article it stated that the club couldn't claim the expenses back from him, so it doesn't look like the club won that part. Are your comments not a bit dodgy based on that?

#17 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

However from a quick read of the article it stated that the club couldn't claim the expenses back from him, so it doesn't look like the club won that part. Are your comments not a bit dodgy based on that?

He was a manager at the Fox & Hounds in Companthorpe on the A64, then later the Cross Keys on Tadcaster Road near the racecourse. Surely he was already in York due to his day job at these pubs? Or did he commute back to Gateshead then come straight back for training and matches?

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#18 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

It's not all good news for the Knights though,according to the local press they've been
ordered by the judge to pay Woods legal fees estimated between 60,000 to 80,000 quid.
If this is true the club be in serious trouble,finding that kind of money won't come easy.

#19 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I dont see how York won anything here, nor Woods losing anything.

#20 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Do you mean the entry on the official club website or in the press as reported by Peter Martini ?

Peter Martini was not at the court hearing.

Your owner has not only fallen out publicly with the council over a stadium proposal which,I seem to recall was discussed some time earlier when he did actually attend meetings and he himself had admiited was 'not feasible' before producing the self same proposal and the owner of the soccer club went public with text messages which required a press reply - http://www.yorkpress.../8988139.print/

All Dave Woods wanted to do was coach.

I also seem to remember that YCK were not relegated in 2011.

The all-seeing,all-knowing RFL had apparently been given information by Ned Cadic and were investigating Barrow and Crusaders did not want a Super League Licence and it was very well rumoured that YCK would not be relegated long before the season ended.

A precedent has certainly been set though;first time in England where the winners have to pay all of the court costs of all concerned.

As for coaching.Dave Woods took over a newly promoted side and has today completed the double over York.

Don't forget to get that information to the judge as quickly as possible.Certainly before the club pays all that winning money.