League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who does your club traditionally buy players from?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

We've always recruited a lot of players from the town of Wigan, but only a small percentage of them from Wigan RLFC. Call it a sort of civilising mission.

There was a period in the mid-2000s where we signed anyone who'd so much as been to Odsal.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#22 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

In recent years Fax have had a fancy for Batley and Fev players and Keighley have a fancy for Fax players!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

We've always recruited a lot of players from the town of Wigan, but only a small percentage of them from Wigan RLFC. Call it a sort of civilising mission.

There was a period in the mid-2000s where we signed anyone who'd so much as been to Odsal.

Then there's Ben Westwood, Ryan Atkins and the slimy Nathan Wood. You should take a look at that lad Peter Fox on our right wing, cracking player and I can put a word in so that you get him on a free.

#24 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

We have had plenty from Wigan as well as others. But in recent years we have done a lot of swapping and trucking with Wakey, We have not earned a good reputation in Wakey of course ( with some people ) still they are always ready to take the money.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#25 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

We have had plenty from Wigan as well as others. But in recent years we have done a lot of swapping and trucking with Wakey, We have not earned a good reputation in Wakey of course ( with some people ) still they are always ready to take the money.

It's not always about money though. See my earlier post, it's about chug agent has the ear of decision makers, and which scouts or other personnel have joined other clubs...

It could be that a disservice is done to clubs in this cosy arrangement. Did the same people that signed Aaron Murphy and Dale Ferguson also offload Danny Kirmond and Andy Raleigh?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 23 July 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#26 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

It's not always about money though. See my earlier post, it's about chug agent has the ear of decision makers, and which scouts or other personnel have joined other clubs...

It could be that a disservice is done to clubs in this cosy arrangement. Did the same people that signed Aaron Murphy and Dale Ferguson also offload Danny Kirmond and Andy Raleigh?

In all truth i really don't know, but the two clubs clubs continue to deal ( the latest being Kyle Wood ) they are obviously happier about it than some fans.

I wish we could produce players like some other clubs do but we can't, we have little choice but to get them elsewhere and It's only since K Davy took hold that the club have been able to do it ,Hence the years in the wilderness before him. It must be great to produce young players in the numbers and quality that Wigan/Leeds do and some of them would probably be lost to the game if they didn't go to other clubs,

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users