TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Wood pays tribute to Northern Rail winners

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I assume it must have been you Kenny and your mates at the Pump Room pre match - can't have been any other bloke in gold - good effort :D

Correct - I was the lucky bloke dressed as a (Wests) Tiger who was charged with applying the paint to our very own Gloucestershire All Gold!

Good buzz around that pub and also in The Railway post match.

#42 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Swapping venues and times does no one any favours, so now Halifax has been chosen as the venue it should be there for a few season,it just needs selling better to RL fans

#43 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Swapping venues and times does no one any favours, so now Halifax has been chosen as the venue it should be there for a few season,it just needs selling better to RL fans

How does one 'sell' Halifax?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#44 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

How does one 'sell' Halifax?

Its the cup final you need to sell not halifax

#45 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thought it was a cracking day - felt a little bit low key though. If we're to assume that Blackpool is a 'no' due to cost and Halifax due to it being an RL club ground and perhaps having a bit of a 'small' feel to it, what would be a good option for next year?

By the way, to anyone who was there, please accept my apologies for the chap in the Speedos and the gold paint.

You chaps seemed to be having a good time.

Who was the eejit repeatedly chanting, "Dirty Yorkshire barstewards" with a big grin on his face, during the Leigh/Sheffield game?

#46 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

You chaps seemed to be having a good time.

Who was the eejit repeatedly chanting, "Dirty Yorkshire barstewards" with a big grin on his face, during the Leigh/Sheffield game?

Not one of ours I hope? Poor form that.

Some lad from Batley tagged on to us after a while, I think one of the gang was hoping to adopt him they were getting so close.

#47 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Not one of ours I hope? Poor form that.

Some lad from Batley tagged on to us after a while, I think one of the gang was hoping to adopt him they were getting so close.

I think he was being ironic.

The fellah from Batley didn't appear to have taken any human growth hormone. ;) He was finding himself very entertaining. :no:

#48 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Halifax is a great little town nec, and I have always enjoyed going to games over there. Some good pubs with great real ales. I know groups of people in Manchester/Salford who have nothing to with Rugby League who often go over to Halifax for the day. I would prefer to have the Northern Rail finals in Blackpool though myself.

#49 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Halifax is a great little town nec, and I have always enjoyed going to games over there. Some good pubs with great real ales. I know groups of people in Manchester/Salford who have nothing to with Rugby League who often go over to Halifax for the day. I would prefer to have the Northern Rail finals in Blackpool though myself.

You could sell many places on being 'great little towns' and find someone that will agree with you, but would still really struggle to get the vast majority to see it as an attractive venue for a final (or for that matter a world cup match). If the match has sufficient attraction to overcome this then attendances will not suffer, or if the event is marketed well to people outside of traditional attendees the same could be said (see Rochdale world cup match). A new or recently improved stadium can also drive attendances.

The Northern Rail Cup final at Halifax had none of these, it also had 2 relatively (compared with previous finalists) poorly supported sides. This led to the mediocre crowd.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#50 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

The Northern Rail Cup final at Halifax had none of these, it also had 2 relatively (compared with previous finalists) poorly supported sides. This led to the mediocre crowd.

It's a good job the poorly supported Leigh club took as many as they did then.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#51 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I used to live in Trumpington, it's not a place I'd expect nobility to live. Although just a village away lives a horrid little Lord. Apart from that a great post by Just be Clear.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#52 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

It's a good job the poorly supported Leigh club took as many as they did then.

I meant Sheffield & Skolars, both were finalists

#53 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Well us North Wales Crusaders fans enjoyed ourselves anyway. 300 is not a bad turn out for a CH1 side from Wales.

I think the competition has legs - it gives something for CH and CH1 clubs to  play for - and only becomes irrelevant when you get knocked out!

Keep on taking the miserable pills.

#54 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Well us North Wales Crusaders fans enjoyed ourselves anyway. 300 is not a bad turn out for a CH1 side from Wales.

I think the competition has legs - it gives something for CH and CH1 clubs to  play for - and only becomes irrelevant when you get knocked out!

Keep on taking the miserable pills.

North, I agree with you on this. Diolch yn fawr.  :drinks:

A good showing from the Crusaders fans and good spirit shown.

I enjoyed mixing with the supporters from the four teams and enjoyed the games as a neutral.

RL needs events like this and a positive attitude towards them also. It's easy to be negative and critical but if supporters are like that then how do we expect to attract the uninitiated?

#55 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Only 300? Sounded like a lot more than that! Some great noise from that part of the stand.

I do hope the competition keeps going as for me it goes back to why we support our teams. Ultimately, to see them win trophies - nothing beats that, even if it is a 'minor' trophy.

I get the comparisons with football's Johnstone's Paint Trophy. I've seen my team lose the final of that competition three times now and each time it was a right kick in the teeth, although if we go out in the first round I'm never massively bothered.

I would be thrilled to see Hemel in the NRB Final next year.

#56 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

I meant Sheffield & Skolars, both were finalists

I do apologise.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users