Favourite childhood films

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Only just got round to watching my favourite film as a child back to the future, which was given to me as a birthday present by my brother. For what is worth here's my top 5 childhood films:
1. Back to the future
2. Goonies
3. Lost boys
4. Ghostbusters
5. Time bandits
As you can see I'm a child of the 80’s, the greatest decade ever.

#2 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

The experience from childhood films that sticks in my mind is the change from black and white to colour in the Wizard of Oz - I was gobsmacked!

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#3 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Watership Dowm - first film I ever recorded on our first VHS. Watched it over and over again and didn't think it was that harsh. Bought it on DVD as an adult and was surprised how tough it was.
Fides invicta triumphat

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Jason and the Argonauts.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#5 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Only just got round to watching my favourite film as a child back to the future, which was given to me as a birthday present by my brother. For what is worth here's my top 5 childhood films:
1. Back to the future
2. Goonies
3. Lost boys
4. Ghostbusters
5. Time bandits
As you can see I'm a child of the 80’s, the greatest decade ever.

Time Bandits was brilliant it was like Monty Python for kids, I thought it was hilarious and still do.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Time Bandits was brilliant it was like Monty Python for kids, I thought it was hilarious and still do.

LOL, John Cleese as robin hood was hilarious as was Michael palin on the titanic. I think the film is even better now watching it as a 32 year old than when I was 6 or 7 when I first saw it and don't forget Sean Connery as Agamemnon and R2-D2(kenny baker). Fantastic film.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Jason and the Argonauts.

Is that the film with the jim Morrison lookalike and snake woman creature madusa(spelling)?

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

The experience from childhood films that sticks in my mind is the change from black and white to colour in the Wizard of Oz - I was gobsmacked!

What sticks in my mind when watching that film as a kid of 5 or 6 was sh_ting myself when the wicked witch came on.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Watership Dowm - first film I ever recorded on our first VHS. Watched it over and over again and didn't think it was that harsh. Bought it on DVD as an adult and was surprised how tough it was.

And what a distinguished voice cast it had! Okay, Zero Mostel is a bit annoying as Kehaar, but check out the names!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

The Karate Kid and Commando.  Remember, this was in the days when video shops were run in portakabins and age restrictions were just numbers on a box.  I remember being amazed when I first went into Blockbuster and was refused Die Hard because I was underage.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

The African Queen ... thoroughly enjoyed as children by me, then my son and daughter, and now my grandchildren.

Same for The Wizard of Oz.

Slightly off tangent; my kids and grandkids thought both the  TV series of The Young Ones were brilliant.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Is that the film with the jim Morrison lookalike and snake woman creature madusa(spelling)?

That's the one,Ray Harryhausens best work.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

'The Princess Bride', containing a cameo by the late Mel Smith, is a brilliant film that works for all ages. The start is a bit slow, but as soon as the action moves to the cliff top, it really gets going. Plenty of action, but also witty and knowing. Look out for Peter Cook as 'The Impressive Clergyman'. :D 

'The Railway Children' is a wonderful children's film too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

I remember being taken to see this and having my young mind comprehensively blown.

#15 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I remember being taken to see this and having my young mind comprehensively blown.

It was very deep, my favourite dwarf was Vermin, he ate rats.

#16 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,327 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

I remember being a but distraught at the end when they left him all alone.
Fides invicta triumphat

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yep, that was a striking finish, not leaving everything on a neat happy ending. Especially as, right at the end, you almost think Connery's fireman character is going to save the day and take him under his wing like he did as the character of Theseus.

Edited by Futtocks, 23 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

It was very deep, my favourite dwarf was Vermin, he ate rats.

My favourite was Randall, the self-appointed leader.

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Me too. a bit of a unconventional ending, especially for a children's film.

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Can't believe that there isn't much love for goonies, lost boys or back to the future, I can remember me and my friends being obsessed with these films especially lost boys and goonies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users