Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Big Showdown next week

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Really looking forward to the big game next weekend down the whitebank featuring the two best teams in the division, was told by the Crusaders team that they are coming for us next wk, well good luck with that, hate Sundays without a game. Undoubtedly it will be best turnout of the season in terms of support, lets do it Roughyeds see u all next wk those that do attend that is!!

#2 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

If it is anything like the game at Wrexham, it will be an absolute cracker. We need to really get behind our lads. Cru's will bring a good number of supporters and will make plenty of noise. Roughyeds fans can make a real difference. Come on you Yeds!!!!!!!!!!

#3 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Should be a cracker, let them come for us, bring the drum whatever they want. Im sure our lads will be up for this and the crowd will have a big part to play, lets make some serious noise and get behind the lads for the full 80 mins come what may, this Oldham team has developed massively this season, they deserve the support, Whatever happens on Sunday i for one am proud of the way they have stood up and grown as a team, big credit to Scott and Spanner too, its been a great season and it aint over yet! Lets win this thing lads! OTID

#4 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Nice to see you lads being positive. I am looking forward to the game and I am sure it will be close which ever way it goes. We both have to visit Skolars though and Rochdale won't do you any favours when you play them. I would rather have our run in then yours. I attended your game against Scorpions and your supporters will have to up the decibels about 1000% if you are going to outshout the mighty Cru Army!

#5 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yeah i wonder if cru fans have found any songs to go along with the incessant and tedious banging of drums in attempt to make some noise!!

#6 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Or the highly original Cru Cru Crusaders borefest? Crusaders were outsung at the Racecourse by Oldham, anyway even your fans admit that on the Cru FB page you were very quiet against us- must have forgot the words haha

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Or the highly original Cru Cru Crusaders borefest? Crusaders were outsung at the Racecourse by Oldham, anyway even your fans admit that on the Cru FB page you were very quiet against us- must have forgot the words haha

If you go to the Club website you'll find a full songsheet...It will give you something to sing along to in between watching our tries. I can't remember anyone outsinging the Crusaders this season...home or away.  I have to say I'm not keen on the drumming either!

#8 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Roughyed34 - There is no way you could have been at the Racecourse, to say that Oldham fans outsung Crusaders. You must have been dreaming. What songs do Oldham have by the way. I don't think Ive ever heard one, even when I used to go to Watersheddings regularly with Salford. At the Scorpions game a couple of people had a go at getting the Oooooooldham chant going but they soon gave up when they realised that they were just embarrassing themselves on their own. I'm sure your team will do you proud next Sunday what ever the result, so big up your team by all means but please don't try to compare your supporters to Crusaders fans. Its like comparing a Skoda to a Ferrari!

#9 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

I assure you i was at the Racecourse! Never heard a dickie boo from Cru only the drum! Crusaders fans like Ferrari's haha,well i would rather have our Skoda supporters than any others.Ferrari's are prone to breakdowns, Skoda's are reliable and make a racket wherever they go! . Hope its a great game on Sunday, Safe journey up to Oldham. We will see about the singing ;) , have a beer or two after the game with us regardless of the result.

#10 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think it's time some of you incomers realised that it aint that long ago that we Oldhamers were one of the top teams in the big league, had followings of several thousand every week, in fact 4 or 5 thousand was a small crowd even in the 80s and 90s so don't come on here with Ferrari crowds of 900. One day the Oldham team will come good again and it wouldn't surprise me if your lot went out of existence by then. Unless of course the RL prop you up as they have been doing for several years, even when you were using illegal immigrants to get you up, the league.

Your memories might not go back that far but try looking at the Odsal final of 1957 and look at the crowd at that game. There were more there than you have had since you started up all added together.

#11 Onthetouchline

Onthetouchline
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

By the eck Ex scrumhalf, you must have taken some knocks in your playing days. Looking back to bygone days is all history and in the past, not that we should forget.  Its what is happening now and in the future that counts. Oh dear, am I afraid for the future.

Who were the illegal immigrants?

#12 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

I think it's time some of you incomers realised that it aint that long ago that we Oldhamers were one of the top teams in the big league, had followings of several thousand every week, in fact 4 or 5 thousand was a small crowd even in the 80s and 90s so don't come on here with Ferrari crowds of 900. One day the Oldham team will come good again and it wouldn't surprise me if your lot went out of existence by then. Unless of course the RL prop you up as they have been doing for several years, even when you were using illegal immigrants to get you up, the league.

Your memories might not go back that far but try looking at the Odsal final of 1957 and look at the crowd at that game. There were more there than you have had since you started up all added together.

As an incomer (pmsl) I read your comments above and thought, wake up and get out of the past! You can spout 'history', 'we were this' and 'we were that' but the truth is those days are gone, your in the Champ' 1  league now the same as the NWC and by the looks of your gates (wasn't it only 349 against your local rivals the hornets) the future isn't looking that bright really is it?.

Your obviously out of touch using silly statements relating the the Crusaders SL Club in reference to The NWC who have no links to the previous club at all other than the word Crusaders in the name.

Research our brief club history its not that long but thanks to a few dedicated people a new club was formed and RL in Wrexham was saved.

and in less than 2 years has resulted in the first silverware to arrive at the club.

All in all you must realise that without 'Incomer' (still laughing) clubs Champ 1 wouldn't exist because there would only be your lot and hornets with enough history to be there !!!!!

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

We will have a few beers with you after the game roughyed34, win, lose or draw, as we always do where ever we go, and if you have won, our fans will be as magnanimous in defeat as we are in victory. Ex scrum half - are you Ray Ashton? You can go back a fair bit!

#14 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Ex scrum half...years of history count for nothing eh!!....and that's one of the reasons why the finest game on this planet is on its ###### in this country...we spend too much pumping money into lost causes without trying to keep the game strong in historically strong RL towns.

The NRC cup final had just over 4000 this weekend, the majority being Leigh fans...I can remember not long ago at BP when we had nearly 5000 when Leigh visited...fat chance of that now!

All of these "new" clubs need to remember that rugby league did actually exist and thrived long before murdochs money and expansionist plans were forced in creating super league.

Compare with pre SL
Is the game more skilful? No way
Are we more competitive with the Aussies? No way
Are the aggregate crowds higher..no way
Is the amateur game as strong feeding the professional clubs...no way

The up and coming teams like Crusaders may think that the game is rosy but this country has never seen a more serious downturn on the game than in recent years and the RFL need to sort it quickly.

#15 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

The up and coming teams like Crusaders may think that the game is rosy but this country has never seen a more serious downturn on the game than in recent years and the RFL need to sort it quickly.

I agree it's a bit disheartening when you see the attendances each week and they are less than impressive across the board. Whilst i think the RFL played a massive part in reducing attendances by bringing in licencing I don't see how they can sort it out.

I think it's down to the clubs which are independent businesses to make this happen - I don't think you get Oldham or Wrexham FC lobbying the FA saying we want more fans please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the RFL I'm just saying I think sometimes we all try and point the finger at RedHall but its is down to the clubs themselves to

1. Get a decent product on the pitch
2. Provide a good fan experience when they're in the ground - facility, food, programme etc
3. Get the word out far and wide to market the games

If you've done points 1-3 then I think you can start to look at other reasons why your attendances are low, but if you haven't you've got to look closer to home first.

#16 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

By the eck Ex scrumhalf, you must have taken some knocks in your playing days. Looking back to bygone days is all history and in the past, not that we should forget. Its what is happening now and in the future that counts. Oh dear, am I afraid for the future.
Who were the illegal immigrants?

Exscrumhalf is just voicing the frustration that many of us from Oldham feel. We have a sense of history, the cultural identity of Rugby League. The game was run for over 20 years from Oldham. We have the amateur set up and the potential to, once again, be big. We are bigger in terms of population than the likes of Leigh, Featherstone, Castleford and Widnes. We are on a parr withe likes of wigan.. We believe that if someone like Dr Koukash would only back us then the return would be far greater than backing the likes of Salford. Crusaders may have the upper hand at the moment. But the fat lady is still at the chippy having her tea. She's not ready to sing just yet.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 22 July 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#17 higgy

higgy
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree it's a bit disheartening when you see the attendances each week and they are less than impressive across the board. Whilst i think the RFL played a massive part in reducing attendances by bringing in licencing I don't see how they can sort it out.

I think it's down to the clubs which are independent businesses to make this happen - I don't think you get Oldham or Wrexham FC lobbying the FA saying we want more fans please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the RFL I'm just saying I think sometimes we all try and point the finger at RedHall but its is down to the clubs themselves to

1. Get a decent product on the pitch
2. Provide a good fan experience when they're in the ground - facility, food, programme etc
3. Get the word out far and wide to market the games

If you've done points 1-3 then I think you can start to look at other reasons why your attendances are low, but if you haven't you've got to look closer to home first.

Got to disagree in part on this with you, for one no matter which division you are in we have the best entertaining product in sport, and some of the most entertaining games are played in the lower leagues, two its the job of the RFL to market the sport but their only interest is Super League.

The RFL have ruined the game by the neglect and inadequate funding to the clubs in the lower leagues, the withdrawal of promotion and relegation from Super League (which they have now realised) and the introduction of Summer rugby. Also they need to get the fixtures right, do away with the nonsensical Cup in our leagues and stop the breaks in play between games. We need to be playing Home or Away every week of the season this is the only way for the club to generate an income and keep its fans interested. If you get the breaks in play we are getting now you find other things to do with your time???

Surely its not hard  for the RFL to see there is life outside Super League but the way they are going there soon won't be!!!!

#18 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

But the fat lady is still at the chippy having her tea. She's not ready to sing just yet.

She must be an Oldham lass then!!

BTW - Exscrumhalf - at the start of last season 90% of our players were ex amateur players. Our highest crowd has been 1086. On occasions our crowd has been more than the total attendances of ALL the other CH! games put together.  We appreciate you have a fine and proud history, being one of the original RL clubs and would never be disrespectful of that but we are also proud of our short but exciting history and turn out at away games in far greater numbers than any other travelling support in CH1.

See you at the game, we will enjoy a pint before and after the match and as the Rooster has pointed out will always be magnanimous in defeat as well as victory. Although we haven't had much practice at the defeat side of the equation this season!!

#19 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Now I remember what I cane on your forum for!!

Please could anyone advise me if there is somewhere safe to keep my bicycle until the NWCrusaders supporters club bus turns up.  I have cycled to quite a few games this season and hopefully if the weather is fine I will be able to cycle to Oldham. Do you have an official e-mail address I could contact?

#20 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Just come to game pal stewards will sort it mate

Edited by OutOfTownRoughyed, 22 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.