Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

well thats that then!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Match fit? He is match fit he's just not good enough to get into the Fev team.

much like Moore then; he did 75 minutes in his first game at Hunslet, not bad going for any prop let along one who just needed to get 'match fit'

end of the day any player that get loaned out or sent on dual reg is for the better of the club that he's contracted to, lots of fans are just to thick or stubborn to realised this. why do you think mariano was loaned to you lot? to improve you or to get him game time & improve him before he went back to wakie? no doubt you'll come back and say 'yes but we got him for a month (or two?), yours are week to week' which is all well & good but hunslet don't have owners pumping in massive amounts of money*, so week to week is the best they can get at the moment.

*you can claim all you want that campbell isn't throwing money at the club anymore, personally i think he still is, but there is no doubt he's done so in the past to get you to the top.

#22 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sigh. Are we EVER going to win another game ??

And let's be quite clear, this was yet another one for the "ones that got away" file. Even after starting with what must have been the fastest try Hunslet - or anybody else for that matter - has ever scored. The remaining 39 minutes and 45 seconds of the half was quite pathetic really, even allowing for the fact the team was a ragbag collection of nine or ten familiar faces, four or five new faces/emergency signings, two loanees and one Dual Reg. We handed back the initiative courtesy of Hood's weekly intercepted pass and by half time the game was dead and buried ... or so we thought.

Now then I'm going to be a bit controversial now, but I'm going to have to commend Eaton for whatever he said in the half-time team talk. Admittedly it might have been in part due to Mossop and Haggerty leaving the action for Barrow, but suddenly the defence was working and that ragbag collection looked like a team. 20 points in 20 minutes and it was 28-26.

And so we came to the closing stages.

You can't say we didn't give ourselves every chance: We pushed at the scrum and took it against the head: we dropped the ball over the line: we stole the ball one-on-one on the first tackle as Barrow were bringing it out: we got a penalty about 30 yards out and DIDN'T TAKE THE TWO ... and thus, victory eluded us again ...

And looking at that table, still just one win - any win - would be so crucial in helping our cause. But at the minute it looks like we are going to set two unwanted records; most bonus points won during a season, and best ever points difference by a relegated team ...

#23 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

It aint over yet ... the way you came back in the 2nd period was brilliant. I thought you were going to get the win in the closing stages there. After the hooter it felt more like a defeat to a lot of us Raiders fans as we were shocking in the 2nd half...... as Hunslet were in the 1st.... and luckily for us we just got enough points to edge it...

This was typical of our season to be honest we cant play for 80 mins !! Im sure you can probably say the same.

This battle WILL go down to the last game of the season IMHO.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#24 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

much like Moore then; he did 75 minutes in his first game at Hunslet, not bad going for any prop let along one who just needed to get 'match fit'

end of the day any player that get loaned out or sent on dual reg is for the better of the club that he's contracted to, lots of fans are just to thick or stubborn to realised this. why do you think mariano was loaned to you lot? to improve you or to get him game time & improve him before he went back to wakie? no doubt you'll come back and say 'yes but we got him for a month (or two?), yours are week to week' which is all well & good but hunslet don't have owners pumping in massive amounts of money*, so week to week is the best they can get at the moment.

*you can claim all you want that campbell isn't throwing money at the club anymore, personally i think he still is, but there is no doubt he's done so in the past to get you to the top.

I agree with that. I've said numerous times if you bring a loan player in it should be until the end of the season with no call back option. Which by the looks of it that's what we are doing now. I've always said the DR system is to benefit the SL clubs and not the team he is on DR too. The problem with us this season is DP made some almighty clangers with who he brought into the club as some of the players are not good enough and that's why we are going/forced down the loan route. I havnt got anything against the DR system really if teams need to do it to stay afloat then so be it. Their is only one thing I don't like about the DR system and that's it will decide who stays up and who doesn't which isn't really a real reflection on the league table. For the bottom clubs its all about which DR players are available that week and who as the better DR players that week. Hopefully by the sound if it this won't be a problem next season with the RFL saying the SL clubs will be bringing back their u23s next season. I can't comment on the situation as were not in the DR system but surely from someone looking in it must annoy you fans not knowing who's playing for you week in week out and also if say Moore as a cracking game and wins you the game single handly and then he's called back and next week you get hammered it must be a terrible situation to be in. I have alot if sympathy for the clubs that are in the DR system because I'm sure most did not really have a choice in the matter to keep their respective clubs afloat.

#25 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I agree with that. I've said numerous times if you bring a loan player in it should be until the end of the season with no call back option. Which by the looks of it that's what we are doing now.

If that were the case there wouldn't be many loans.

I don't have a problem with the loan system - minimum of a month can be good for everyone concerned. DR on the other hand, where players don't necessarily train with the borrowing club, and are maybe only there for one match ..... how can that be good ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like same old same old.I honestly don't know where we go from here if we go down (and I think it's nailed on) we could realistically fold based on the terrible league that is league 1 alternatively if we get the miracle and stay up it is surely only putting it off until next year. If we survive I'd like to think we would be in for promotion in our first season but chain we keep our current best players (again I doubt it) or do we have to start afresh. Would supporters continue to back hist? Tickets would have to drop in price and again can we cope with the loss in revenue? Crowds will drop further meaning more loss. Sorry to sound defeatist but I think realistically we are in the mire on and off the field and I know i'm just scratching the surface.I have not even considered the impact of no dual ref although this could be seen as a positive again I just don't know where we go next if any where

Going down this year might not be a bad thing. Two up, seven down seems to be the likely scenario in 2014. It'll be easier to be in the "two up" rather than stay out of the "seven down".

#27 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Going down this year might not be a bad thing. Two up, seven down seems to be the likely scenario in 2014. It'll be easier to be in the "two up" rather than stay out of the "seven down".

I was thinking the same Richie. If my club were in that situation year in year out this season would be the best season to go down I reckon. The only worry would be if their isn't any P&R and only 5 go down and not 7.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I was thinking the same Richie. If my club were in that situation year in year out this season would be the best season to go down I reckon. The only worry would be if their isn't any P&R and only 5 go down and not 7.

Not the plan at the moment, though things can change.

Personally, I think there'll be one up at least. It would be bizarre to bring back P+R by denying P, if not R.

#29 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

it will also depend on stadium criteria as well ??

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#30 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

if this is correct then I agree with what you say.just gotta make sure we get straight back up

#31 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Stage 1 of the Masterplan complete .HUNSLET RELEGATED ! Dual reg Has Not worked .FACT HUNSLET RELEGATED.Mr BARRY HEATON Is NOT COMPETENT To Coach Our team .FACT HUNSLET RELEGATED !! Stage 2 Will be playing from Headingly ! ! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Break this link with Leeds R.L. and Get Rid of The DIRE Mr Eaton.

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Ok Hunslet72,would Hunslet have stayed up if they hadn't had Rhinos players on match days.Genuine question for you.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#33 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Stage 1 of the Masterplan complete .HUNSLET RELEGATED ! Dual reg Has Not worked .FACT HUNSLET RELEGATED.Mr BARRY HEATON Is NOT COMPETENT To Coach Our team .FACT HUNSLET RELEGATED !! Stage 2 Will be playing from Headingly ! ! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Break this link with Leeds R.L. and Get Rid of The DIRE Mr Eaton.

be interesting to hear who you thought inspired the second half come back. Did Hunslet suddenly get a new coach at half time?

#34 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

be interesting to hear who you thought inspired the second half come back. Did Hunslet suddenly get a new coach at half time?

Well who inspired the 1st half then

#35 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Well who inspired the 1st half then

well judging by that fact we scored first and were camped in there half before two stupid offloads gave them 2 tries I'd say the same coach.

The big problem is players who think they have to score of every play. Hood, Welham to name just a couple (off the back of yesterday) are two very good players but neither seem to understand that just because you break the line you don't have to score that play. Both should have taken a tackle and let the next play be run at a broken defence which more than likely would have lead to points, instead both throw stupid balls that were never on.

Edited by noname6, 22 July 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#36 HUNSLET72

HUNSLET72
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

To terrywebb etc.HUNSLET ARE RELEGATED ,Using Leeds players has disrupted team spirit .League position states Hunslet Could Not have done any Worse by using Hunslet Own players ,Instead of BEING USED AND ABUSED By LEEDS R.L. AND noname 6 Played 19 ,Mr Eaton Coach ,HUNSLET RELEGATED ! How Can You Defend Mr Eaton ?

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

To terrywebb etc.HUNSLET ARE RELEGATED ,Using Leeds players has disrupted team spirit .League position states Hunslet Could Not have done any Worse by using Hunslet Own players ,Instead of BEING USED AND ABUSED By LEEDS R.L. AND noname 6 Played 19 ,Mr Eaton Coach ,HUNSLET RELEGATED ! How Can You Defend Mr Eaton ?

So they would still have been relegated then.Hardly the fault of Leeds players then is it.Never mind,keep grinding that axe.

I genuinely feel sorry for the sane Hunslet supporters that you have a "lunatic fringe" of supporters.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 July 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#38 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

well judging by that fact we scored first and were camped in there half before two stupid offloads gave them 2 tries I'd say the same coach.

The big problem is players who think they have to score of every play. Hood, Welham to name just a couple (off the back of yesterday) are two very good players but neither seem to understand that just because you break the line you don't have to score that play. Both should have taken a tackle and let the next play be run at a broken defence which more than likely would have lead to points, instead both throw stupid balls that were never on.

Absolutely spot on Mr Noname ...

#39 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

So whats wrong with a coach instructing them to keep it safe and tight for the first 20mins , no risks , we've been giving to much away early on most of the season , and these players who you mention who think they can score every play , should'nt Barry be coaching that out of em , when he only gets the player once a week , it was a very good game yesterday and Hunslet with the budget they've got did ok , but the budget and players we've got , yes , the top teams are out of our reach , but the teams around us ar'nt and we should be winning more.............

#40 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

So they would still have been relegated then.Hardly the fault of Leeds players then is it.Never mind,keep grinding that axe.
I genuinely feel sorry for the sane Hunslet supporters that you have a "lunatic fringe" of supporters.

. For gods sake we are not relegated yet!!! Yeah it's hard to stay positive sometimes but still a lot to play for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users