RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

ARE WE DOWN?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Just telling it as I see it Mark.

Just telling it how you want to see it more like!
  • IanFalkiner likes this

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#22 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

Back to the original thread, it ain't over till its over.

Hard games to come, a lot of rugby to be played and points to be won/lost.

Two important home games against barrow and york and see what we can scrap out.

Others have difficult run ins including york, barrow, hunslet and keighley.

Will need to turn things round though, we need to tighten the defence we need to play with the ball

Start next week and keep going from there.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#23 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Back to the original thread, it ain't over till its over.

Hard games to come, a lot of rugby to be played and points to be won/lost.

Two important home games against barrow and york and see what we can scrap out.

Others have difficult run ins including york, barrow, hunslet and keighley.

Will need to turn things round though, we need to tighten the defence we need to play with the ball

Start next week and keep going from there.

Spot on mate. We are truly backs to the wall but it isnt impossible!

#24 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Coach's tend not to cause trouble when they leave clubs unless they are really, really miffed, because they are usually leaving behind people who they like and have respect for, including the fans, and Steve McCormack is a very nice man and talented coach. Press releases from RL clubs are what they want the fans to hear. Good luck to Swinton RLFC in your battle against relegation, seriously. I'm not a fan but I take no pleasure in your situation. Great club with a fantastic history and some really top suporters, and its a tragedy what has been allowed to happen.

Edited by Celtic Rooster, 21 July 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#25 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Coach's tend not to cause trouble when they leave clubs unless they are really, really miffed, because they are usually leaving behind people who they like and have respect for, including the fans, and Steve McCormack is a very nice man and talented coach. Press releases from RL clubs are what they want the fans to hear. Good luck to Swinton RLFC in your battle against relegation, seriously. I'm not a fan but I take no pleasure in your situation. Great club with a fantastic history and some really top suporters, and its a tragedy what has been allowed to happen.

Good post this Rooster.

One or two of our fans should take the time to speak to the coach before posting.

Edited by marshy1, 21 July 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#26 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Let me know when he is available.

#27 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Steve Mac was always very available.

#28 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

it'll go down to the final game of the season for all of us in the mix guys

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#29 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

We're going down. Let's not kid ourselves with false hope.

Not many made the trip yesterday and I don't blame them. Workington aren't a good team and they won at a canter. All opponents need to do is be semi-competent at the basics and they'll turn us over. Town shelled a few chances and didn't play especially well but they didn't need to.

We are dreadful. I don't know what they do in the wonderful training sessions we hear about.

#30 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

People coming out of the woodwork to stick the knife in including non Swinton fans !.

I can't see it happening now but i really hope the lads get out of this and make some people eat their words !

I had a long conversation with Gary yesterday and he trying really hard to try and turn this around.

As a Swinton fan since the early sixties i have seen more downs that ups but i will never desert my side.
  • bearman and morty like this

#31 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

People coming out of the woodwork to stick the knife in including non Swinton fans !.

I can't see it happening now but i really hope the lads get out of this and make some people eat their words !

I had a long conversation with Gary yesterday and he trying really hard to try and turn this around.

As a Swinton fan since the early sixties i have seen more downs that ups but i will never desert my side.

Bang on Riggy! Keep riding the Twister!

#32 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Understandable sentiments Riggy but we need to be realistic as well. And that's the least we can expect from the coach (I.e. trying hard to turn things around). Fact is it doesn't seem to be working. But where there's life there's hope I suppose.

#33 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

"As a Swinton fan since the early sixties i have seen more downs that ups but i will never desert my side." - I certainly empathise with Riggy's comment from his last post.............I feel the same now as when I was a  youngster.......e.g. when the team loses it ruins the rest of my day.........but while I hope for the best, I also prepare for the worst.........:(

Its not impossible only two things are certain in life ( as an American commentator once said) " death and taxes" - so I sincerely hope that the team do avoid relegation and if not well I will be watching the team in Championship 1 next season............I guess the odds on avoiding relegation are getting longer, could at least put a bet on this and then donate the winnings to charity............

#34 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Just a thought,now the schools are on holiday for 6 weeks he should be available most days.

#35 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think the bigger picture here worries most fans. Will relegation sound the death knell for our club...

Edited by Shizonamy, 22 July 2013 - 11:33 AM.

"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I seem to remember alot of people on here congratulating the Town fans on their promotion last season (including myself). But it seems to be a common theme when a game is won..."we won, we're better than you ner ner ni ner ner". A quick look at the league table and the predictions on here could have told them that.

I was fairly impressed with Town when they came to the LSV for 'round 1'. They showed more heart and looked far more assured than us in defence. I couldnt make it yesterday due to work but fair play to them, they look safe now.

As for us, it's not over until it's over Riggy! It's not looking great, D/R, Mr Chambers etc. However, we need to get behind this side to try and do our bit to encourage them on the field. They need to believe that they can win every game or at least manage a bonus point against some of the big boys!

Keighley have probably got the toughest run in of the lot, yet again they have been playing well recently. Hunslet look to be in the worst form (almost as bad as ours!). So, to sum up, get behind the boys! With a bit of look and an up-turn in form we can turn this around! Or alternatively, just give up, you know, free country and all that.

#37 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

The way we are playing is reminiscent of our days as a yo yo club in the 80s and 90s when we went up a level.

We stick at it for half and hour then we succumb to soft tries and then the physicality of the higher level takes its toll and we end up towards the end of the season getting hammered by teams who we are on a par with .

The number of changes week to week is wholesale. The playing of people out of position is a symptom of this and our awful injury crisis to key men. 

I think we will go down and to be fair we deserve to because we haven`t played well enough all year .

Ill stick by the club though. Its that much criticised blind loyalty thing. 

#38 Colin James

Colin James
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I hope I'm wrong I really do but it's looking dire. It's not a case of sticking the knife in, just realism. Performances like yesterday aren't uncommon and if they continue we're certainties for the drop.

I'll never stop supporting the Lions but it's not surprising our following is dwindling. A poor team people can (and have had to) accept. A team bereft of ideas, direction and identity is harder to take. Yesterday was very disheartening and chatting to the others who had made the long trip up there I'm certainly not a lone voice.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong and we can turn it down but I'd be very surprised if we aren't setting the sat-nav for Oxford, Gloucester and Hemel next season.

#39 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I think the bigger picture here worries most fans. Will relegation sound the death knell for our club...

I would say that depends more on the league re-structure than any other factor. In 2015 we could be in a league with the bottom 8 clubs from the present championship and with Oldham and Rochdale thrown in. I suspect that is more of our level.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#40 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

We're going down. Let's not kid ourselves with false hope.

Not many made the trip yesterday and I don't blame them. Workington aren't a good team and they won at a canter. All opponents need to do is be semi-competent at the basics and they'll turn us over. Town shelled a few chances and didn't play especially well but they didn't need to.

We are dreadful. I don't know what they do in the wonderful training sessions we hear about.

Workington aren't a good team have you seen were we are in the table and.have you seen where u lions are in the table not to forget we beat you down at your spot as well so we cant be that bad

Enjoy your trips to the all golds n gateshead or and london hahahahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users